Thanks MSC - Upgrade!

familyof4cruising

We booked an inside with the intention of trying to switch to a balcony when it got closer to final payment. We weren't sure if we wanted to go on this cruise. We don't usually cruise on any other cruise lines but NCL and RCCL. When final payment came...there were no more quad balconies available. My TA told MSC that if a quad balcony was to open to please contact her.

Today we received a phone call from MSC offering us 2 connecting balcony cabins in exchange for our quad inside cabin ( with a little more $). Thank you MSC for the upgrade! Looking forward to cruising on the Poesia!

Interesting to find out that when you have 2 rooms you still have one reservation #. I usually have 2 reservation #'s for 2 rooms with other cruise lines. I just found out when I went to web check in. Whatever works!

That's great news so now you not only have 2 balconies but also 2 bathrooms and 2 sets of storage space. Hope you have a very enjoyable trip.

Just got our new paperwork with the new cabins and MSC surprised us again. I will include the surprise in my review when we get back. Not even on the cruise yet and all I can say is that MSC has been excellent considering we are newbies to their cruise line. NCL and RCCL always take care of my family because of their loyalty programs, but I think we will be fine on MSC.

We also had an unbelievable free upgrade on our first MSC cruise last month... we booked an inside GTY and got upgraded to a cat.10 balcony

We've sailed NCL and RCCL and Carnival before.... but our MSC cruise was the one we enjoyed the most.

When I told a friend, an old NCCL diehard about our free upgrade, the 3 days free, and the wonderful cruise on MSC, he told us "Well, MSC just want to sucker new people in!!"

Well..... it worked, we're totally suckered in.... will definitely cruise MSC again!!!:)

• 9 months later...

Wow, thanks for postisng, great luck for all of you. It's really nice to hear "Positive" things about MSC, in doing research for my first, upcoming, cruise I was getting a little weary of reading all the "Negative" reviews, mostly about the food, haha!

You can't please all the people all the time as they say, but I still really appreciate hearing good things as well. I read someplace else a review about MSC reminding cruisers that this is an Italian line and "when in Rome". He even went so far as to say that if you have never traveled to Europe before this may not be for you. I would add to that to just go with an open mind and look forward to new experiences, different people and European style food, it is really wonderful. I know I am going to soak up the experience.

Wow, thanks for postisng, great luck for all of you. It's really nice to hear "Positive" things about MSC, in doing research for my first, upcoming, cruise I was getting a little weary of reading all the "Negative" reviews, mostly about the food, haha!

You can't please all the people all the time as they say, but I still really appreciate hearing good things as well. I read someplace else a review about MSC reminding cruisers that this is an Italian line and "when in Rome". He even went so far as to say that if you have never traveled to Europe before this may not be for you. I would add to that to just go with an open mind and look forward to new experiences, different people and European style food, it is really wonderful. I know I am going to soak up the experience.

I have to tell you...my WHOLE family loved MSC's food. Food is so subjective. Go with an open mind. We did and loved it. My ONLY complaint ( and I knew this would happen) is that the entertainment is not exactly what "WE" like, but we do not judge our vacation on only that.They need to have entertainment that satisfies everyone on board with all the languages. We would love to see a comedian, but that would not work with all the nationalities. We will be back same week this year again on the Poesia! Hoping again for a wonderful upgrade!

And we think MSC has the best shows of any other cruise line. What you see on MSC is unique talent. What we see on MSC are not high school grads who want to sail around the seas for a yr or so....they are conservatory trained in singing. They bring Russian bar act which on Americas Got talent Howie Mandell said he never saw before! Last year, Fighting Gravity was told the same by Howie, we have seen that on MSC by the animation team! We have seen what Zuma Zuma did on AGT on MSC shows. We have seen such unique stuff that we cannot stand production shows on any other cruise line. You do not get comedy per say...but if you attend any of the animation team shows at 10 pm in the lounges they are funny as funny can be!

And we think MSC has the best shows of any other cruise line. What you see on MSC is unique talent. What we see on MSC are not high school grads who want to sail around the seas for a yr or so....they are conservatory trained in singing. They bring Russian bar act which on Americas Got talent Howie Mandell said he never saw before! Last year, Fighting Gravity was told the same by Howie, we have seen that on MSC by the animation team! We have seen what Zuma Zuma did on AGT on MSC shows. We have seen such unique stuff that we cannot stand production shows on any other cruise line. You do not get comedy per say...but if you attend any of the animation team shows at 10 pm in the lounges they are funny as funny can be!

I agree the animation team is wonderful. I was just making a point that you can not please everyone always...and thats OK. I still LOVED our cruise.

Who is the head of the animation team now that Richard is with NCL ?

Glad you had a good experience with your upgrade, we are travelling on Splendida in late january next year and like you we too are new to MSC but inlike you there is part of me that hopes we don't get an upgrade let me explain. I'm coming up to retirement when my disposable income which I may wish to spend on cruises will be diminished considerably so one of the reasons for booking this cruise was to try out an inside cabin to see how my wife would cope with having no natural light in the cabin (I'd sleep in the corridor if I could be on a cruise ship) so being upgraded to an outside or even a balcony cabin will defeat one of our reasons for taking this cruise.

Glad you had a good experience with your upgrade, we are travelling on Splendida in late january next year and like you we too are new to MSC but inlike you there is part of me that hopes we don't get an upgrade let me explain. I'm coming up to retirement when my disposable income which I may wish to spend on cruises will be diminished considerably so one of the reasons for booking this cruise was to try out an inside cabin to see how my wife would cope with having no natural light in the cabin (I'd sleep in the corridor if I could be on a cruise ship) so being upgraded to an outside or even a balcony cabin will defeat one of our reasons for taking this cruise.

They will not upgrade you without you getting a phone call and accepting. Thats what happen to me.

Just got our new paperwork with the new cabins and MSC surprised us again. I will include the surprise in my review when we get back. Not even on the cruise yet and all I can say is that MSC has been excellent considering we are newbies to their cruise line. NCL and RCCL always take care of my family because of their loyalty programs, but I think we will be fine on MSC.

Hi, Can I ask......what was your second surprise?

I had two fantastic cruises on MSC and my family loved the food - absolutely no complaints at all - I expect a different experience this time as there will be lots more American than European travellers on my next cruise - but nothing here on CC can dampen my enthusiasm for MSC its a pity there are so many complainers blowing their own trumpet rather than adding their experiences to the discussion. :eek:

I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we enjoyed ours. There is a fantastic revew I read recently where two couples who were friends took the same cruise together on MSC - sat at the same tables and ate the same food - one couple loved their cruise the other couple complained all the way and hated it. They didn't have a different cruise just a different attitude. ;)

We booked an inside with the intention of trying to switch to a balcony when it got closer to final payment. We weren't sure if we wanted to go on this cruise. We don't usually cruise on any other cruise lines but NCL and RCCL. When final payment came...there were no more quad balconies available. My TA told MSC that if a quad balcony was to open to please contact her.

Today we received a phone call from MSC offering us 2 connecting balcony cabins in exchange for our quad inside cabin ( with a little more $). Thank you MSC for the upgrade! Looking forward to cruising on the Poesia!

How lucky - did you ask for an upgrade or did the phone call come out of the blue ?? I never thought of doing things this way - we like our space so value a balcony. This time we are putting our daughter in with her grandmother so that she has more room - plus she didnt like sleeping in the same room as dad because he snores. They are on a different floor to us so I don't know how that will work out. I just looked at changing our balcony to a suite so we would be on the same floor as my daughter and her grandmother - its a bit too expensive for me at the moment.

My travel agent told me I was upgraded when she went to book me.......I was booked with another travel agent who was not very good and cancelled that booking with MSC and had another agent book with a rather large savings of several hundred dollars and an upgrade...........

How lucky - did you ask for an upgrade or did the phone call come out of the blue ?? I never thought of doing things this way - we like our space so value a balcony. This time we are putting our daughter in with her grandmother so that she has more room - plus she didnt like sleeping in the same room as dad because he snores. They are on a different floor to us so I don't know how that will work out. I just looked at changing our balcony to a suite so we would be on the same floor as my daughter and her grandmother - its a bit too expensive for me at the moment.

The Poesia does not have many quads. In my case I think they needed my quad. I hope they need my quad again :)...I would love 2 rooms instead of 1...even if they were not near each other.

The Poesia does not have many quads. In my case I think they needed my quad. I hope they need my quad again :)...I would love 2 rooms instead of 1...even if they were not near each other.

Familyof4cruising, I noticed you are on the same cruise as we are. This will be our 4th and 5th MSC cruise since we are doing a B2B. Come over to the roll call and join in on the conversations there.

I absolutely love cruising on MSC. They have the best food and the wait staff IMHO is the best anywhere. The cabin stewards are fabulous and they tend to your every whim without ever questioning anything.

We have never had a complaint about any of the night shows at all. In fact I have never been in to Opera and on our first MSC cruise my husband pretty much said "WE are going to it" and I did and fell in love with it.

Two years ago we had our grandchildren with us on the cruise and they loved the night shows. In fact the oldest one would ask the night before he went to sleep what was going to be playing the next night. (He was 12 at the time).

I really can't wait until I am back on the ship on the 16th of December.

I absolutely love cruising on MSC. They have the best food and the wait staff IMHO is the best anywhere. The cabin stewards are fabulous and they tend to your every whim without ever questioning anything.

We have never had a complaint about any of the night shows at all. In fact I have never been in to Opera and on our first MSC cruise my husband pretty much said "WE are going to it" and I did and fell in love with it.

Two years ago we had our grandchildren with us on the cruise and they loved the night shows. In fact the oldest one would ask the night before he went to sleep what was going to be playing the next night. (He was 12 at the time).

I really can't wait until I am back on the ship on the 16th of December.

My sentiments exactly - my first opera experience was on MSC and although I havent been again I am getting excited about my next cruise, I loved the entertainment, music, food, and yes the best service. My girls, who were totally spoilt by our waiter, and had the best holiday. It was great.

Archived