NZ Train excursion recommendation please

palmcockatoo

Hi there,

I am getting ready to book a couple of shore excursions for the Volendam NZ cruise on 17th Dec. I would like a recommendation please as to which train excursion is better. The two I am looking at are the Trans Alpine Express train (out of Christchurch) and the Taieri Gorge Railway (out of Dunedin). Is one better than the other? I cannot see taking two back to back train trips so just want to know which one is usually ranked better by those who have done them before.

Many thanks for your recommendations and help.

I can't speak to the Tranz Alpine train trip, but we recently did the Gorge trip in Dunedin. However, we did not do it through the ship but got ourselves to the train station on our own.

The cost was 91 NZD each and we had a 10% off coupon we'd gotten out of a magazine we'd picked up in Auckland. It ended up costing us $124 USD for the two of us. The ship was charging $209 USD pp.

We joined up with another couple for the cab ride. Each way cost about $40 NZD for the four of us, so add another few $$ to the cost. The ship tour included a box lunch, ours did not, but there is a club car if you want to purchase a snack. And we did not have table cloths!! Oh darn.

The train from the station goes to Middlemarch and the ship's tour only goes as far as Pukerangi (SP?). There is some really interesting scenery between the two that is so totally different than the rest of the trip that we found it quite interesting.

Middlemarch is kind of frontier town looking. A few of us went over to the hotel bar and had a beer and chatted with a few locals. I don't think the ship's tour ever gets off the train.

Just my thoughts on our experience. The scenery was quite fantastic, but don't know if it's better than the other or not.

I would like a recommendation please as to which train excursion is better. The two I am looking at are the Trans Alpine Express train (out of Christchurch) and the Taieri Gorge Railway (out of Dunedin). Is one better than the other?

The same question was asked last June. Here is a link to that discussion - I believe there are some links to some pictures as well:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1106263&highlight=gorge+train+alpine

Hi there,

I am getting ready to book a couple of shore excursions for the Volendam NZ cruise on 17th Dec. I would like a recommendation please as to which train excursion is better. The two I am looking at are the Trans Alpine Express train (out of Christchurch) and the Taieri Gorge Railway (out of Dunedin). Is one better than the other? I cannot see taking two back to back train trips so just want to know which one is usually ranked better by those who have done them before.

Many thanks for your recommendations and help.

Kia ora,

They both have merits. One suggestion would be to consider which region offers the tour (other than train) which appeals and then go on that and go on the train trip in the other.

Aquarians

Kia ora,

They both have merits. One suggestion would be to consider which region offers the tour (other than train) which appeals and then go on that and go on the train trip in the other.

Aquarians

Right on there. First time in Dunedin we enjoyed a tour of the Otago Peninsula that was also scenic and we enjoyed the wildlife and our local independent tour guide.

In Christchurch, both times, we've enjoyed the gardens and local atmosphere and haven't even considered the train. But then, both times we've been there in the spring (November) when the gardens were at their best. And we found a restaurant that we really like and not sure we'd do anything differently next time - if we are so fortunate as to have a next time!

From my point of view as a Christchurch resident I say both train trips are fabulous but I think a trip into the city is just as great. Like the above poster said - you get a chance to see the local atmosphere, talk to locals and just enjoy our beautiful city. There will be many locals here only too happy to share their knowledge of the city and also some pretty hair raising earthquake stories!

Trieri Gorge departing from Wharfside is No.1 choice booked as Ships Tour includes return trip and lunch on board .

Tranz Alpine booked as Ships Tour is No.2 choice . It departs initially as bus tour of Christchurch and Canterbury Plains, lunch then in the bus up to Arthurs Pass. Pax transfer to special charter train which then runs express from Arthurs Pass down the mountains over the Plains to terminate alongside the cruise boat .

(The publically scheduled TRANZ ALPINE train departs from Christchurch station around 0800 and goes across the South Island to Greymouth and returns to Christchurch around 1800 . This schedule does not generally fit in with cruise ship arrivals and departures . )

Trieri Gorge departing from Wharfside is No.1 choice booked as Ships Tour includes return trip and lunch on board .

Doing this trip independently also can include return as our did at the 91 NZD rate quoted in earlier post.

Just back from doing the Trieri Gorge train with Princess.....don't waste your money...the cost was 249.00 each person...the train ride done on your own is 75.00 each person....going to the same place but no lunch...so take your own and have a great time. It was a nice ride but the price was not.

Just back from doing the Trieri Gorge train with Princess.....don't waste your money...the cost was 249.00 each person...the train ride done on your own is 75.00 each person....going to the same place but no lunch...so take your own and have a great time. It was a nice ride but the price was not.

We thought HAL's price at $209 pp was exorbitant! But $249, that's outrageous. Interesting as we usually find Princess' shorex trips more attractively priced than HAL's.

As for taking your own lunch, you can't take food off the ship in NZ, so would have to buy it on shore. BTW, if you get to the station early enough, you can get your tickets and then walk across to Cadbury's to pick up some chocolate for sustenance on the trip! ;)

kia ora,

Is this all NZ$?

Aquarians

No it was US dollars paid to Princess for their tours. It was just way too high for what we got which means lunch and a drink was 174.00 minus what a cab would be to get to the train which by the way was at the port.

Again, do on your own...

Dumb questions coming. I know that the trans alpine train is a wonderful experience from reading about it. How is the trans alpine highway in a rental car? It appears that rental cars in Christchurch are downtown or at the airport. What is the best way to get from Lyttelton which appears to be where the cruise ships actually dump you out to a rental car company? Are there a plethora of taxis waiting at the pier? How long is the drive to and from Arthur's pass, I have read about 100miles and I am guessing under two hours, but I could have no clue about the roads and traffic!

As you can tell, I am leaning towards doing my own thing completely..... which is pretty much standard for me.;)

jc

My husband and I spent 2 months in NZ several years ago......none of it on a ship. Arthur's Pass was the most disappointing trip we made. On the otherhand, Christchurch is a fascinating city. I would spend my time there and give the train a miss.

Dumb questions coming. I know that the trans alpine train is a wonderful experience from reading about it. How is the trans alpine highway in a rental car? It appears that rental cars in Christchurch are downtown or at the airport. What is the best way to get from Lyttelton which appears to be where the cruise ships actually dump you out to a rental car company? Are there a plethora of taxis waiting at the pier? How long is the drive to and from Arthur's pass, I have read about 100miles and I am guessing under two hours, but I could have no clue about the roads and traffic!

As you can tell, I am leaning towards doing my own thing completely..... which is pretty much standard for me.;)

jc

We did arthurs pass last by car in the day, yes it was a rushed day, but well worth it. Have a look at this thread, and you will see some photos of the pass. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277770

In Christchurch we hired a car and drove upto Arthurs Pass which we thoroughly enjoyed, was one of the big highlights of New Zealand for us. We hired a car through this company http://www.newzealandrentalcar.co.nz/ and they were very good to deal with. They actually picked us up at Lyttleton, and dropped us back to the port gates. This company is located in the centre of Christchurch, we have wondered how they got on after the earthquake. The car hire has to be prepaid, and we had no troubles at all.

The drive also takes you through where the epicentre was during the Christchurch earthquake, Darfield.

We did arthurs pass last by car in the day, yes it was a rushed day, but well worth it. Have a look at this thread, and you will see some photos of the pass. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277770

In Christchurch we hired a car and drove upto Arthurs Pass which we thoroughly enjoyed, was one of the big highlights of New Zealand for us. We hired a car through this company http://www.newzealandrentalcar.co.nz/ and they were very good to deal with. They actually picked us up at Lyttleton, and dropped us back to the port gates. This company is located in the centre of Christchurch, we have wondered how they got on after the earthquake. The car hire has to be prepaid, and we had no troubles at all.

The drive also takes you through where the epicentre was during the Christchurch earthquake, Darfield.

Thank you for the reply. So, the driving time to and from is about 2 hours each way?

jc

Thank you for the reply. So, the driving time to and from is about 2 hours each way?

jc

Probably closer to 2.5 hours, the road is very windy in the mountains. It is a great drive, but we found we had to keep moving to make sure we got back the rental car in time and back to the ship in time. We ended up having spare time when we arrived back in Christchurch, but choose to have the rental car company drive us back to the port as it was raining.

It is a good idea to time the first leg of the trip.

Archived