Recent returnees from Libya??

ariellejesse

I posted the following last month on another Libya thread:

"Cruisemom, I should have posted comments on our cruise stop at Tripoli last month. We arrived on the 18th of October aboard the Costa Mediterranea. All passengers whether they were planning on disembarking or not were debited a mandatory €14.00 a head Libyan visa charge - apparently required by Libyan authorities for any ship entering their territorial waters. Four disembarking possibilites were offered: ship excursions to Leptis Magna, Sabratha, or a tour of Tripoli, as well as being able to disembark and walk around Tripoli on your own. The two excursions out of Tripoli were by bus and passengers were required to remain as a group on the individual buses leaving the port and returning. On return you had to reembark on the ship. Those opting for the Tripoli tour or walk around could not leave the city limits but were free to stay ashore all day.

It was clear that the Tripoli tourism people were not geared for masses of excursionists and we literally swamped them - buses of varying age and condition had been sequestered for our visit from all over the country it seemed. There was ample confusion and delays as they tried to accommodate more than 2000 passengers.

My wife and I opted for Leptis Magna for which we paid €107 each (which included the visa and lunch). Our group of about 45 people went on one of the buses (not the newest) with a very good archaeologist guide and enjoyed the six hour tour of the site along with about an hour for lunch under a huge Khadafi-type tent (chicken and couscous preceded by an interesting spicy soup and followed by sweets and fruit). On return our bus took us back along the Tripoli waterfront (with huge photos of the Colonel on every corner) directly to our ship. Needless to say, Leptis was magnificent.

The few Libyans we met were courteous and friendly. I noticed no hostility whatsoever towards us."

Hope this helps.

I have found a recent posting on Cruising Talk regarding the Voyages to Antiquity Libya visit--not very specific but definitely not complimentary (go to last page of the postings). Costa probably does a better job in the area. I am hoping the major lines will attempt this area again.

Archived