Balcony/Ship Paranoia

Sunshine101

Ok folks....whatever cruise we end up taking will most likely have a balcony so we can sit outside while the kids (7 yo and 4 yo) settle down to bed. DH and I have always slept with our balcony door open (on prior cruises without the girls), so obviously now that is out of question (enter in terrible nightmares of the girls waking up at night and we dont hear and they wander outside, OMG).

Anyways, that being said, and even though the door will be locked at night, my paranoia is going beyond the cabin! I am still having these visions of being anywhere on the ship, and the girls falling over. Omg.

Am I being ridiculous? Any tips to calm this fear??

Thanks so much!

Yes--you're being ridiculous! Have your kid's even "fallen off" of a deck? Down your stairs? If you keep the door closed, you WILL hear them should they try to open it. And the railings are mid-chest on me...5' 5".....

They probably aren't stupid kids and will do as you say...NO going on the balcony without a parent there with them!

Rule number one is my son is not allow on the balcony without us. We also pull the furniture as far away from the rail as possible. Our rule is he is not allowed to touch the glass, the rail or the door to the room at all. That brings me piece of mind.

If you want extra piece of mind you can buy a door alarm for about $10 at Home Depot.

I always like having a balcony that is above another balcony on a tiered side of the ship. RCCL and Princess both have these, don't know if other lines do or not.

I don't think there isn't a parent out there that hasn't pictured their child going overboard. But ask yourself this... when was the last time you heard of some kid going overboard? I can't recall ever hearing of it (not to say that it hasn't ever happened). Trust me, this would be HUGE news!!!!!

Just use common sense and have common sense rules in place for your children and everything will be fine. Relax and have a great vacation.

Some more piece of mind

--most balcony door locks are a little tricky

--the pressure on those doors are so strong that its tough for even ME to get them open, let alone your average child

--the height on those rails are about 48" tall. Your child would have to get out then physically stand on a chair to get over the railing -- so move those chairs away from the railing.

--and like the others have said, to our knowledge, and yes, we all have looked for it, there has never been a child that has snuck outside and fallen accidentally off the balcony

Archived