Rumrunners Busted on Destiny TODAY

detwings

I neither condone nor condemn those who wish to use RR's to save more than a few bucks.

I have yet to have a problem with RR's. I always bring a case of Coke with me as I want one WHEN I want one. I walk it right through and put it through the x-ray. Never a question asked.

The x-ray can detect liquids. They show up as organic material (orange) as do most clothing items. (hint)

Thicker plastic items show up as green, the cap very likely does. Placing it under/over another plastic item will help with that.

The shape can also be detected to the discerning eye, but with enough clothing items surrounding them, they would be difficult to detect. With so many bags to check in a minimum amount of time, I am sure that only the sloppily packed would get caught.

Metal items show up as blue to black, depending on the thickness of the metal. The electrical cord to a hair straightener would appear as a lighter blue line, while the straightener would very likely appear black.

I have packed multiple 6 packs of V8 juice with Tabasco as I like the Bloody Mary's that my girlfriend makes over any that I have purchased.

Those are metal cans and they have never been confiscated.

Of course every individual should let their conscience be their guide. As for me, when I buy a drink on board, I am usually disappointed that there is very little, if any, alcohol in it. When I, a lightweight of Cherokee descent can drink 3 beers and find my gums numb, can drink 6 margaritas on a cruise and not feel ANYTHING, then there is a problem.

If the cruise lines want people to stop trying to save a buck, they should start giving people value for the money they spend on drinks. It's not like they are using high end brands anyway.

• 1 month later...
I wrap my rumrunners in underware (clean), but the screeners don't know that. Mine have never been touched. Go figure.

Great idea! Get some old underwear, wrap the rumrunner in it, smear a little peanut butter on it, and place it it a ziploc.

I would bet my last dollar that NO ONE would EVER open that ziploc! :D:D

Not sure what type of scanner they are using but xrays can not see liquids. Yes it can detect the shape of the plastic screw on lid. Anyone who gets caught with rum runners is just unlucky..they can not see liquid via a xray, just the outlines!

I agree. My friend got caught with a rum runner (her other luggage with rum runner made it through) but there was something in the luggage that caught their eye to search. It wasnt liquid, and I doubt it was the shape. I think it was something else in there that they wanted to check out. Unlucky indeed.

Great idea! Get some old underwear, wrap the rumrunner in it, smear a little peanut butter on it, and place it it a ziploc.

LMAO! I threw up in my mouth a little on that One!:D

They should have carried them in their pockets.

We had a mixed rate of success with rum runners and pockets especially GrandCaymen for refills. They checked most cargo shorts, swimsuits.

Even did light pat downs. So nothing is guaranteed. That was Carnival Legend western Itinerary. Destiny KeyWest/Cozumel -no way in Miami, but never checked any bottles or insulted sports bottles-but of course this is when we were drinking ice water!

Bummer!

I've never looked up rum runners but it seems like there would be a better way to do it. A friend of mine puts rum and vodka in wine bottles and then recorks them. Just put them in your carry on... they never check that! And it's completely corked so it's not like they would since it just looks like a bottle of wine. Ah... one of the many perks of living at a winery. :)

I drink wine only so I'm good on cruises! But I do feel bad for people who like a little night cap and have to pay $8 for it.

Ha! This is a great idea! The hubby makes his own beer & wine, so he has all the supplies do this including putting the plastic seal over the cork/top. I know what we have agreed to & I also know how much we spend on alcohol even when we've succeeded (we've gotten caught too). I don't drink wine, so being able to have a cocktail in the room is a great option. We've only cruised Royal Caribbean before, so we've never had the option of bringing anything on with us.

nautrally, I am going to smuggle some rum onboard the ship. I intend to have half of the rum in rum runners and the other half in bottles that are TSA approved (3oz) for gel/liquids. I got away with it in September, so gonna try again for the next cruise too..

Rum runners I have are 8oz (2) and 16 oz. I'll use the two 8 oz and put them in my shoes, so what if they see them.....

I cant stop laughing!! :D

Bummer!

I've never looked up rum runners but it seems like there would be a better way to do it. A friend of mine puts rum and vodka in wine bottles and then recorks them. Just put them in your carry on... they never check that! And it's completely corked so it's not like they would since it just looks like a bottle of wine. Ah... one of the many perks of living at a winery. :)

I drink wine only so I'm good on cruises! But I do feel bad for people who like a little night cap and have to pay $8 for it.

How do you get the cork clear back down in the wine bottle? I can usually only get it halfway down once opened??

I always chortle when someone does something which is obviously against their passenger contract.

You never see anyone smuggle PRIME Steaks to avoid the cost of specialty restaurant!

Well, that's just silly..........where would you grill a steak in your cabin??

Frankly my hairstyle is, well, ala Marge Simpson. I just stick my booze in my hair.

Or maybe, I'll just glue those little tiny airline bottles of booze to my legs before

Frankly gettin' ourselves packed, to the port, correct ship and on time is ENOUGH work for me, let alone thinkin' of how to haul booze--silly. Too bad CCL had such a CRAPPY CRAPPY CRAPPY wine list. May I recommend they start carrying a Malbec that has actually been aged in French oak for more than 9 months???? How about a decent unoaked Chard??? Maybe a selection of Proseccos???? Perhaps a respectable selection of Zins? What about different formats of the big reds, e.g., magnum of Sangiovese from Seghesio??? I won't even get started on Brunellos.

Happy cruising.

So no Strawberry Hill for you?:D

How do you get the cork clear back down in the wine bottle? I can usually only get it halfway down once opened??

You can buy a corker - which compresses the cork and pushes it into the neck of the bottle from a home brew shop. You would also need new corks so the bottle does not leak.

On our last Carnival Cruise (Triumph, Aug 2010, 11th Carnival Cruise) one of our 3 pieces of luggage had a note in it that it was searched and everything was found to be fine. I had bottles and tubes in ziplock bags that had been opened. Clothes were wadded up in balls and stuffed back into the suitcase. I also had 6 24 oz bottles of Diet Coke in that bag. None of the bottles had been opened. When we unpacked in our room, my husband said "I didn't know you brought the video camera" and I said "I did not bring our video camera." But we had a very nice video camera, batteries & charges along with many recorded and blank tapes in a bag that looked exactly like ours, that was at home. We turned it in to the pursers desk hoping they could find the owners.

On our last Carnival Cruise (Triumph, Aug 2010, 11th Carnival Cruise) one of our 3 pieces of luggage had a note in it that it was searched and everything was found to be fine. I had bottles and tubes in ziplock bags that had been opened. Clothes were wadded up in balls and stuffed back into the suitcase. I also had 6 24 oz bottles of Diet Coke in that bag. None of the bottles had been opened. When we unpacked in our room, my husband said "I didn't know you brought the video camera" and I said "I did not bring our video camera." But we had a very nice video camera, batteries & charges along with many recorded and blank tapes in a bag that looked exactly like ours, that was at home. We turned it in to the pursers desk hoping they could find the owners.

Did you watch the tapes first? maybe you could have identified the passengers, but then again, maybe you would not want to see them.

I thought Carnival allowed you to buy alcohol for your cabin?

Carnival has a Bon Voyage Department that delivers liquor to your cabin.

We use it on every cruise.

IF you are sailing from a port like Mobile or Galveston, when they take your order...they will remind you that it may not be delivered until the first sea day

(weird liquor laws)

I bet the owners of that camera were livid when they found it missing from their bag. Of course, they never should have put it in a checked bag anyway; they should have carried it on. But still . . .

this is an entertaining thread to read.

With the upgraded checking now it is forcing many of the smugglers to resort to other means to get alcohol on board.

In 2008 I had 2 bottles of hard alcohol and 3 bottles of wine in my checked luggage. Those bottles would be confiscated now. With Rum runners people are only able to get the equivalent of 1-2 bottles of hard alcohol on board now which leads to more liquor sales from the bars.

On my last cruise my luggage was searched with no issue. I had a 32 oz bottle of mouth wash packed in it that they wanted to check out. They didn't open the mouth wash but opened my suitcase to make sure it was not a banned liquid.

for the smugglers you may get lucky with a large mouthwash container that is not see through. I heard of people going to the drug store to buy a sealed box with 2 12 oz saline solutions in it that they refill and reseal back in the box.

I personally order from Bon Voyage now.

I'm Canadian so I don't find the prices that outrageous from Bon Voyage.

How much is a bottle of Absolute in the US? One liter is Twenty-five bucks, I believe. Add on the price of a 32 oz rum runner plus shipping....what are you saving per bottle? Five to ten bucks? And it could be confiscated and now you are out the 30-35 bucks PLUS you have to try to order from the BV dept....hoping they have what you want. When you order from BV, it also comes in a proper bottle. If it's to save money, I don't get it.

If it's to have access to a specific brand that is not available onboard, then that's another story. I enjoy Bailey's in my coffee in the morning when on vacation and would like some in my room. That I will probably try to bring on board as I don't believe it's available from BV. Otherwise, Rye and Vodka will be purchase through BV

Just my 2cents :)

Wow' date=' I guess based on some responses here, I won't be cruising with Carnival anymore. As some of you say, Carnival can open any container, and do anything with it that they wish, with no accountability. They can legally open up my aerosol deodorant, and replace the contents with ebola virus, according to some of you. They can open up my OTC vitamins and replace them with poison pills that look just like my OTC vitamins... They can replace my Visine drops with a caustic acid, just because...based on some of the responses here.

Wait...they can do whatever they want because they are on private property? Hmmm, I CERTAINLY won't cruise on Carnival again, because, based on some responses here, they can mug and assult me and its ok, because its on private property....WoW....[/quote']

You may be onto something.

On Carnival (and incidentally every other ship line) you can't even take a banana into the country or Island you are visiting!

First the booze now bananas...what could be next, apples? Nevermind they control those also.

I think this shows it is a plot by Carnival specifically to keep all the bananas, apples, grapes and booze for themselves and they have hired all ship lines and countries they visit to do the same and make themselves look innocent! And why are they doing all this? You answered it for me, to replace our pills with poison. Oh they are such sneaky snakes.

But we could be wrong about this plot... :D

Disclaimer: Do not read anything into this but humor. I could not resist!

Not sure what type of scanner they are using but xrays can not see liquids. Yes it can detect the shape of the plastic screw on lid. Anyone who gets caught with rum runners is just unlucky..they can not see liquid via a xray, just the outlines!

Sorry to correct you. It is a fiction to think that X-Ray can only see metals, what about orthopedic X-Rays. An X-Ray is a densimometer, that is it can see different densities. Dependent upon the strength and the frequency an X-Ray can pick you anything.

Being an x-ray tech has nothing to do with security screening. I was a bio tech and can assure you that x-ray screeners can detect differences in densities between clothing and liquids.

Archived