Alamo car hire at Port Everglades

chrob

Just used them in Mid November. They are at the airport .

Were you on a cruise and used them? I have been researching every possible option to get us to and from MIA, and because we are going on holidays, the Budget office near Port Everglades is closed, and they had the best price. I know there is Thrifty and Hertz, but their prices were high.

What do you think of renting from a place at the airport? I know it is close to the cruise port, but you still can't just walk over. Is it a big hassle if say, we drove the car to the port, dropped everything and everyone except the driver, then the driver goes to the airport to drop off the car and catch a cab (which I've read is $10-15) back to the port?

Even with the rental and cab fare, it is much less than a town car or Carnival transfer. Just wondering about the convenience factor.

Any thoughts appreciated! Any car rental agency shuttles from the airport to the port?

Are you looking for a rental from MIA, cruising from Port Everglades? Just rent from Alamo at MIA, return the car to FLL and take the free shuttle to the port. Only certain rental companies participate in the free shuttle, and I know Alamo is one.

You can either drop luggage or luggage and people at the pier first or just take it all with you to the airport. The rental center is in the middle of the "traffic circle" at the airport, across from terminal 1, so it's really easy to get into and out of. The few times I've rented at FLL, we just dropped the luggage at the port, but kept the people together.

After the cruise, I think it might be just as easy to use a shuttle service like floridalimo.com to take you back to MIA. I'm using them to take us back to West Palm Beach airport after our cruise and they just told me to phone them from my cell as we disembark the ship and they will send a driver over (they are based at the airport). It's a little more costly than a rental, but not a lot more, and we don't really have the time to deal with picking up and returning the rental before our flight. If you have lots of time of to kill before your flight, then maybe a rental would be a good idea as it gives a place to keep your luggage and you can go shopping or have lunch somewhere other than the airport.

Were you on a cruise and used them? I have been researching every possible option to get us to and from MIA, and because we are going on holidays, the Budget office near Port Everglades is closed, and they had the best price. I know there is Thrifty and Hertz, but their prices were high.

What do you think of renting from a place at the airport? I know it is close to the cruise port, but you still can't just walk over. Is it a big hassle if say, we drove the car to the port, dropped everything and everyone except the driver, then the driver goes to the airport to drop off the car and catch a cab (which I've read is $10-15) back to the port?

Even with the rental and cab fare, it is much less than a town car or Carnival transfer. Just wondering about the convenience factor.

Any thoughts appreciated! Any car rental agency shuttles from the airport to the port?

We flew into FLL and caught the shuttle ( bus ) to the car rental garage. It is right at the airport. We had to show that we were renting a car from certain companies in order to use the bus from the car rental garage to the port. They didn't start bringing people to the port till 10:30 so we had to wait a little while. After the cruise we caught the bus back to the rental garage to rent our car as we were staying several more days. We used Alamo....

We flew into FLL and caught the shuttle ( bus ) to the car rental garage. It is right at the airport. We had to show that we were renting a car from certain companies in order to use the bus from the car rental garage to the port. They didn't start bringing people to the port till 10:30 so we had to wait a little while. After the cruise we caught the bus back to the rental garage to rent our car as we were staying several more days. We used Alamo....

mrpayroll: Interested to knowing more about your car rental experience post cruise. We will be renting from Alamo after our cruise at Port Everglades. Where do we pick up the Alamo shuttle to FLL at the port and how oftern does it come? Was the bus crowded?

The shuttle is actually operated by the various car rental companies at the airport, so it's not an Alamo shuttle per se. It's a regular size bus and very colourful. It just pulls up in front of each terminal. I know when we picked it up at the airport, the sign said "Port Everglades", so I imagine the other way, it says Airport. Or maybe the sign constantly changes back and forth. I don't know if they operate more than one bus, but if it's only one, I would guess it operates on an hourly schedule by the time it stops at all terminals, and goes back to the airport to unload/reload. There should be people at the front of each terminal that would know where it usually stops.

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to know there is a shuttle bus for certain companies.

Yes, to clarify...we are flying into MIA but need to get to Port Everglades and then back to MIA after the cruise. We are flying in and out on Christmas Day and New Years Day, so it's adding some $$ to transportation and some of the car rental offices are closed (off-airport locations).

Time is definitely winding down, and I need to get something booked!

mrpayroll: Interested to knowing more about your car rental experience post cruise. We will be renting from Alamo after our cruise at Port Everglades. Where do we pick up the Alamo shuttle to FLL at the port and how oftern does it come? Was the bus crowded?

You pick it up just a little to the right when exiting the port terminal. Not too crowded at all. It is a full size city bus. I would say it comes around every 30 mins. Thought it worked very well and will be using it again in January.

As of last week (12/6/10) only Alamo & National (they are merged I think) were using the shuttle ( bus ) to/from the Airport/Port

Archived