lightweight toddler bed?

NJfoodie

I remembered a few CCer's bringing a cot or bed for their little ones and cruising often still involves flying to port so I figured I would try asking here. We're about to travel overseas for the holidays to visit my grandmother and have a 20 month old DS. We'll be staying with family though for the trip and therefore sleeping arrangements will be iffy for DS, definitely no PnP or crib available. He rolls too much for me to be comfortable w/ just letting him sleep on the floor - who knows where he'd be by morning. Likewise, cosleeping is usually not an option with him being a very mobile sleeper - no one else will get any sleep while getting rolled on, kicked, etc. He seems to do ok w/ cots at daycare, and I've seen a few air mattress options that seem air travel-friendly. What have you used? We need something that will fit in a suitcase, though hopefully not take up too much of it, and is lightweight.

Perhaps you gmom will be able to find a crib or P&P to borrow while you're there...so you won't have to bring something...that would be my choice! Ask her if she has any friends who have grandchildren that won't be needing their bed while you're in town!

We bought a folding cot bed at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago for my son. Think fold up chair that goes into its bag to carry but much smaller. I think its made by Regalo? and it was around $20. Its just like a cot so not much padding. We always put some blankets under him. It was great for trips because it took up so little room. HTH

I'll be cruising in January 2011 and I'll be bringing my Peapod for my daughter! We used it on vacation at relatives who don't have children and she slept like a rockstar! Babies R Us sells it for about $60 and it only weighs 5.5 lbs, we put it in the bucket of the car seat and put that in the rolling car seat bag, but you could easily carry it on the plane and strap it to your luggage! I like that I can fold it up during the day and it doesn't take up precious cabin space! We also plan on taking it to the beach with us!

My recommendation is for the Bjorn Travel Crib. It's expensive, and it would only fit into a big suitcase, but it comes in its own carrying case that can be checked like a small suitcase. It's extremely light, extremely easy to set up and take apart (like literally a few seconds, I'm not exagerating), and super super comfortable to sleep in. My daughter actually sleeps in it as well as (or even better than) in her own crib. I cannot say enough good things about it. The only drawbacks are, as I said, it's expensive, and it stores well, but does not really fit in another suitcase (unless it's really large).

We use the one from QVC also. We find that he moves too much for the sleeping bag - it's hard to roll over and reposition without the sleeping bag coming unsnapped. So we put the sleeping bag on it in the closed position and then cover it with a crib sheet. Works like a charm and leaving the sleeping bag on it adds some padding.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.T29083.desc.Playhut-Travel-Lounger-wRemovable-Slumber-Bag-Storage-Tote

Archived