Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi Anni, thanks for all your reply and posts. Please advice on my trip below if this is ok. Our ship will dock at Warnemunde at 6am to 10pm.

3 of us here will get the Landerticket Mecklenburg- Vorpommen ticket for 27 EURO. However, we will depart early at 8:22am to Rostock, therefore we will get the 1.80 single ticket per person.

1. We will arrive at Rostock Hauptbahnhof, then take #5 or #6 tram to Neuer Markt for the Marienkirche. Then, walk up to the pedestrian street to Kropeliner Tor. Walk around (buy another ticket to catch the tram) and take the 13:07 train (plantform 6) to Schwerin.

Q1: Do you think we should take a guided walking tour? Is yes, may I know where can I get the tour?

Q2: Since 3 of us here, do you think we should buy group day ticket for Rostock?

Q3. Any other worth place to see at Rostock besides Marienkirche? Really not sure where to go..

Q4. After reading your blog, I understamd there is few station to catch the tram to the city. Which train station you recommend the most for the best scenery and view?

2. After Rostock, we will go to Schwerin at 13:07, walk around city and to the castle. Return : Take the 17:53 train back to Rostock, (change platform 1 or 2 at Rostock) -> Warnemunde.

Q1.After my arrival at Schwerin main station and walking around the city and castle, if time permits, I wish to go for some shopping.. where do you suggest? Schwerin Mitt?

Thanks Anni.

Hi, Thank you for your appreciation. Good plan, just a couple of comments with my answers.

1. The Historical Society is offering a walking tour on most days, depending on having an English speaking guide available; notice board in the window indicates if there is one or not. No booking necessary, starts from the Kropeliner Tor at 11:00 and finishes at Neuer Markt approx 12:00, cost 5euros pp.

2. If you only intend to go into and out of the CBD once then a group ticket is not a saving unless you have 4 people.

3. Rostock's most interesting sights are its buildings so you can see most things, from the outside at least, between the Neuer Markt and Kropeliner Tor. The others are covered on the walking tour.

4. I would say the most interesting way to get into the city is to get off at the 5th stop, Marienehe, and take the #1 or #5 tram. (please note there was a mistake in my instructions, after crossing the overhead bridge you turn left to the tram stop, it is now corrected)

In Schwerin the best 'ordinary' shopping is in the Mall at Mitte. From the rear entrance, top level of the Mall you can cross the car-park to Schwerin Mitte Station and catch the train at 17:50. However if you are after souvenirs etc. then the pedestrian streets around the Market Place are better.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com.

Edited by rostocker

To:Meganttt My husband & I are on the celebrity constellation, stopping may 22 warnemunde,can we join you to Rostock?thanks,passport19

Are you sure you are on the same sailing? Meganttt claims they will be in port from 6am - 10pm. The Constellation will be in port from 9:30 am - midnight.

Hi Anni! We finalized our flights today, and will be arriving in Berlin at 8:25 a.m. on July 29 (Sunday). Will we be able to take a train from the new airport to Rostock? I looked on the website for Rail Europe, and it looks like there is a train #4356 at 10:45 from Berlin Hbf. Is that the main train station in Berlin?

There is another one #18914 at 11:20, leaving from Berlin Schoe. flug, going to Berlin Hbf, then transfer to #4358 to Rostock.

Thanks in advance for your help! Your tips and information to everyone is so helpful. :)

Hi Anni! We finalized our flights today, and will be arriving in Berlin at 8:25 a.m. on July 29 (Sunday). Will we be able to take a train from the new airport to Rostock? I looked on the website for Rail Europe, and it looks like there is a train #4356 at 10:45 from Berlin Hbf. Is that the main train station in Berlin?

There is another one #18914 at 11:20, leaving from Berlin Schoe. flug, going to Berlin Hbf, then transfer to #4358 to Rostock.

Thanks in advance for your help! Your tips and information to everyone is so helpful. :)

Hi, Thank you for your appreciation. I'm happy to hear your plans are going OK.

The latest info is that you will have to take the RB from the airport to Berlin Hbf (main station) and then the RE to Rostock from there.

The train station is right under the new aiport terminal and the trains to Berlin leave every 15mins taking 30mins to the Hbf.

Ignore the #180914 as Berlin Schoe.flug will have ceased to exist after June 3 when the new Berlin Brandenburg opens.

The REs to Rostock are as you noted, #4356 at 10:45 arrive Rostock 13:04 and #4358 at 12:45 arrive Rostock 15:23.

The 10:45 might be a bit of a squeeze, I would aim for the 12:45 but I hate to be rushed, especially when navigating an unfamiliar station. Berlin Hbf is a fantastic place, built on 6 levels with plenty of shops and eateries, all open on Sundays too.

Happy travelling :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

To:Meganttt My husband & I are on the celebrity constellation, stopping may 22 warnemunde,can we join you to Rostock?thanks,passport19

:confused: I think Meganttt is on Eurodam, docking 22nd June 2012

Hi, Thank you for your appreciation. I'm happy to hear your plans are going OK.

The latest info is that you will have to take the RB from the airport to Berlin Hbf (main station) and then the RE to Rostock from there.

The train station is right under the new aiport terminal and the trains to Berlin leave every 15mins taking 30mins to the Hbf.

Ignore the #180914 as Berlin Schoe.flug will have ceased to exist after June 3 when the new Berlin Brandenburg opens.

The REs to Rostock are as you noted, #4356 at 10:45 arrive Rostock 13:04 and #4358 at 12:45 arrive Rostock 15:23.

The 10:45 might be a bit of a squeeze, I would aim for the 12:45 but I hate to be rushed, especially when navigating an unfamiliar station. Berlin Hbf is a fantastic place, built on 6 levels with plenty of shops and eateries, all open on Sundays too.

Happy travelling :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you so much for this information! It will really help in our planning! :)

Hi, Thank you for your appreciation. Good plan, just a couple of comments with my answers.

1. The Historical Society is offering a walking tour on most days, depending on having an English speaking guide available; notice board in the window indicates if there is one or not. No booking necessary, starts from the Kropeliner Tor at 11:00 and finishes at Neuer Markt approx 12:00, cost 5euros pp.

2. If you only intend to go into and out of the CBD once then a group ticket is not a saving unless you have 4 people.

3. Rostock's most interesting sights are its buildings so you can see most things, from the outside at least, between the Neuer Markt and Kropeliner Tor. The others are covered on the walking tour.

4. I would say the most interesting way to get into the city is to get off at the 5th stop, Marienehe, and take the #1 or #5 tram. (please note there was a mistake in my instructions, after crossing the overhead bridge you turn left to the tram stop, it is now corrected)

In Schwerin the best 'ordinary' shopping is in the Mall at Mitte. From the rear entrance, top level of the Mall you can cross the car-park to Schwerin Mitte Station and catch the train at 17:50. However if you are after souvenirs etc. then the pedestrian streets around the Market Place are better.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com.

Hi Anni, Thanks for your reply. Just few more question,

1. if i get off on the 5th stop, Marienehe, and take the #1 or #5 tram, May i know which direction should i take to the city?

2. Is the train station from Schewerin back to Rostock is in platform 2?

3. How far is the Schwerin train station from Market Place. Just want to estimate my shopping time if I walk from Market Place to the Schwerin train station. Just too afraid to miss the train back to Rosstock - Warnemunde.

Hi Anni, Thanks for your reply. Just few more question,

1. if i get off on the 5th stop, Marienehe, and take the #1 or #5 tram, May i know which direction should i take to the city?

2. Is the train station from Schewerin back to Rostock is in platform 2?

3. How far is the Schwerin train station from Market Place. Just want to estimate my shopping time if I walk from Market Place to the Schwerin train station. Just too afraid to miss the train back to Rosstock - Warnemunde.

Hi,

1. Cross the tram tracks and take the tram travelling in the same direction as the train ie right to left as viewed from the overhead bridge. #1 should be signed 'Hafenallee' and #5 'Südblick'

2. The Rostock train usually leaves from platform 2 in Schwerin but it is as well to check the overhead departure board just inside the main entrance. Also make sure that the one you check is the RE (red train) not the IC (grey train).

3. I always allow at least 20mins to walk back but you can time yourself on the way to the castle as the route passes through the market place.

If you do miss the train, don't panic! You could catch the IC at 18:37, pay the full fare-20euros pp and still get back before 21:00.

Happy cruising

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

:confused: I think Meganttt is on Eurodam, docking 22nd June 2012

Sorry, me who is :confused:. Going by times and next port of call that should be 2nd July. mng222 is quite right about the times.

Thanks so much for the info! Our travel dates will be: arrive in Berlin on July 29 for cruise leaving July 31. Cruise ends in Warnemunde Aug. 11.

We are now thinking about going to Munich instead of Berlin after the cruise. Do you know if we can take the train from Warnemunde/Rostock directly to Munich central station, or will we have to go to Berlin and change trains? Also, would it be more economical to purchase a rail pass?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi, so sorry to have missed this question, when there are a lot of posts on the same day it is very easy to miss one. (My excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

The daily ICE from Warnemunde does normally go straight through to Munich but on your date, 31/08, it will start at 6:24 in Rostock which I assume would be far too early.

The next best option is to go via Hamburg. The ICs from Rostock at 10:25, 12:43 and 14:25 all make good connections with an ICE to Munich. Total travel time from Warnemunde just over 9 hours. Travel time to Munich via Berlin is longer unless you can use the ICE.

I don't think there would be any advantage in a rail pass but you would be better advised by a USA web site on this as rail passes once you are in Europe are different, tourists get a better deal buying in their home country! A limited number of discounted standard fares are for sale on-line from 92 days before the date of travel. http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en

Once again, apologies for the delay

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hello.. I am on Eurodam ... :) docking 12th July :)

Foot in mouth (or on keys) again!!:o Missed out the 1 this time, sorry. Must be getting old.

Edited by rostocker

Hi,

1. Cross the tram tracks and take the tram travelling in the same direction as the train ie right to left as viewed from the overhead bridge. #1 should be signed 'Hafenallee' and #5 'Südblick'

2. The Rostock train usually leaves from platform 2 in Schwerin but it is as well to check the overhead departure board just inside the main entrance. Also make sure that the one you check is the RE (red train) not the IC (grey train).

3. I always allow at least 20mins to walk back but you can time yourself on the way to the castle as the route passes through the market place.

If you do miss the train, don't panic! You could catch the IC at 18:37, pay the full fare-20euros pp and still get back before 21:00.

Happy cruising

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks Anni for your super fast reply. I really appreciate your help all this while.. After Warnemunde, I ll need to plan my shore excursion on Kiel now.. I have chosen Lubeck since there is nothing much in Hamburg.

I ll dock at Kiel from 8am - 5 pm.

Few more qeustions:

1. I will buy the lander ticket: Landerticket Mecklenburg- Vorpommen ticket 27 EURO and also Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket 32 EURO. (3 of us travelling) Should I buy ticket online now? Any fare difference if I buy it now and buy direct when I reach Warnemunde/ Kiel?

2. WHat is the difference between RE and RB train? Are these trains double decker? so i suppose better to sit on the upper decker to get best view?

3. Anni, how would you recommend our transportation during our time in Lubeck? Should we get a bus tour or get a day pass or something?

4. Any MUST SEE places in lubeck besidesold town, Holstentor and

Marienkirche? I know Lubeck is being called "Northern Switzerland" .. so I guess the greatest part of it is the scenery.. where can I see that?

Thanks Anni for your help.

Hi Anni, please omit the above questios.. I have made some amendment to my questions:

1. I will buy the lander ticket: Landerticket Mecklenburg- Vorpommen ticket 27 EURO and also Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket32 EURO. (3 of us travelling) Should I buy ticket online now? Any fare difference if I buy it now and buy direct when I reach Warnemunde/ Kiel?

2. Anni, how would you recommend our transportation during our time in Lubeck? Should we get a bus tour or get a day pass or something?

3. Any MUST SEE places in lubeck besidesold town, Marienkirche? I know Lubeck is being called "Northern Switzerland" .. so I guess the greatest part of it is the scenery.. where can I see that?

4. If i take the Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket travelling from Kiel to Lubeck, the RE train departs Kiel at 8:44am, that means the Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket is not valid?? since its before 9am, unless I travel after 9? That will be quite time wasting because my ship only dock at Kiel until 5 pm.

Thanks Anni for your super fast reply. I really appreciate your help all this while.. After Warnemunde, I ll need to plan my shore excursion on Kiel now.. I have chosen Lubeck since there is nothing much in Hamburg.

I ll dock at Kiel from 8am - 5 pm.

Few more qeustions:

1. I will buy the lander ticket: Landerticket Mecklenburg- Vorpommen ticket 27 EURO and also Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket 32 EURO. (3 of us travelling) Should I buy ticket online now? Any fare difference if I buy it now and buy direct when I reach Warnemunde/ Kiel?

2. WHat is the difference between RE and RB train? Are these trains double decker? so i suppose better to sit on the upper decker to get best view?

3. Anni, how would you recommend our transportation during our time in Lubeck? Should we get a bus tour or get a day pass or something?

4. Any MUST SEE places in lubeck besidesold town, Holstentor and

Marienkirche? I know Lubeck is being called "Northern Switzerland" .. so I guess the greatest part of it is the scenery.. where can I see that?

Hi Anni, please omit the above questios.. I have made some amendment to my questions:

1. I will buy the lander ticket: Landerticket Mecklenburg- Vorpommen ticket 27 EURO and also Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket32 EURO. (3 of us travelling) Should I buy ticket online now? Any fare difference if I buy it now and buy direct when I reach Warnemunde/ Kiel?

2. Anni, how would you recommend our transportation during our time in Lubeck? Should we get a bus tour or get a day pass or something?

3. Any MUST SEE places in lubeck besidesold town, Marienkirche? I know Lubeck is being called "Northern Switzerland" .. so I guess the greatest part of it is the scenery.. where can I see that?

4. If i take the Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket travelling from Kiel to Lubeck, the RE train departs Kiel at 8:44am, that means the Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket is not valid?? since its before 9am, unless I travel after 9? That will be quite time wasting because my ship only dock at Kiel until 5 pm.

Hi,

1. The tickets you intend to buy are unlimited and the price does not change however or whenever you buy them.

2. The best way to see Lubeck is to walk! Otherwise you miss many of the lovely, picturesque little side streets which are well worth looking out for as you walk down the main streets. Lubeck is very compact, I have mobility limits but can walk from the railway station to the other side of the city, direct, in about half an hour. There are buses into the city but I'm afraid that I have no idea where the bus stop is, I have always walked. A bus back to the station would save time, any bus marked Bahnhof.

3. There are so many places to see the best way is to browse the official web site, it also has a good map which is very detailed if you enlarge to 150%.

www.luebeck-tourism.de/

I have never heard Lubeck itself referred to as 'Little Switzerland', it is a medieval city. This tag is sometimes given to the state of Schleswig Holstein by cruise tour operaters but I feel it is a bit exaggerated. However, the scenery between Keil and Lubeck is very nice.

4. There is very little difference between the RE and the RB. RE is a little faster as the RB has more stops. Docking at 8:00 and planning to catch the 8:44 is very optimistic, I would think the 9:04 would be much more likely especially if you have to get tickets. However, if you can make the 8:44 the most cost effective way is to get an Sch-Hol ticket as planned and then single tickets to Plön to cover the time before 9:00.

Hope this helps

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by rostocker

Hi,

1. The tickets you intend to buy are unlimited and the price does not change however or whenever you buy them.

2. The best way to see Lubeck is to walk! Otherwise you miss many of the lovely, picturesque little side streets which are well worth looking out for as you walk down the main streets. Lubeck is very compact, I have mobility limits but can walk from the railway station to the other side of the city, direct, in about half an hour. There are buses into the city but I'm afraid that I have no idea where the bus stop is, I have always walked. A bus back to the station would save time, any bus marked Bahnhof.

3. There are so many places to see the best way is to browse the official web site, it also has a good map which is very detailed if you enlarge to 150%.

www.luebeck-tourism.de/

I have never heard Lubeck itself referred to as 'Little Switzerland', it is a medieval city. This tag is sometimes given to the state of Schleswig Holstein by cruise tour operaters but I feel it is a bit exaggerated. However, the scenery between Keil and Lubeck is very nice.

4. There is very little difference between the RE and the RB. RE is a little faster as the RB has more stops. Docking at 8:00 and planning to catch the 8:44 is very optimistic, I would think the 9:04 would be much more likely especially if you have to get tickets. However, if you can make the 8:44 the most cost effective way is to get an Sch-Hol ticket as planned and then single tickets to Plön to cover the time before 9:00.

Hope this helps

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks Anni for your reply. I understand that there is another ticket, which call SH tariff Kleingruppenkarte (mini group day ticket). EUR 32,20 up to 5 person. is applicable as well..

What is the difference between the SH tariff Kleingruppenkarte and Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket ?

Thanks Anni for your reply. I understand that there is another ticket, which call SH tariff Kleingruppenkarte (mini group day ticket). EUR 32,20 up to 5 person. is applicable as well..

What is the difference between the SH tariff Kleingruppenkarte and Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket ?

Hi, the difference is very little.

1. SH Tarif Kleingruppenkarte - valid for one day on all regional trains and buses in Schleswig Holstein only, also on direct journeys to and from Hamburg. Not valid on public transport within Hamburg.

2. Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket - valid for one day on all regional trains in Schleswig Holstein, Mecklenburg Vorpommern and direct journeys to and from Hamburg,also valid on public transport within Hamburg.

#1. is a blanket price; €32.20 for any number of people up to 5

#2. starts at €26 and rises in price according to the number of people.

For 3 people #1 costs €32.20 and #2 costs €32.

#1 is designed to cover the areas served only by buses as well as those with train stations.

There is no difference in the conditions ie. neither are valid on weekdays before 9am.

The SH Kleingruppenkarte cannot be bought on-line.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

The bahn.com doesn't seem to give you single fare ticket prices. I've found a website that does. I plugged in Kiel to Plon to see how much a fare would be so that we could take the 8:44 train. The train arrives in Plon at 9:13 so as Anni said that takes you past the 9:00 limit for the Sch-Hol ticket to kick in. A single one-way fare to Plon is showing as 6.30 euros per person. Then the Sch-Hol ticket would get you the rest of the way to Lubeck and back to Kiel. So if we manage to get to the station in time (looks to be about a 20 minute walk if we dock at Ostseekai and hopefully we can get off at 8:00) this is an option to get us to Lubeck by 9:52 instead of 10:32. Hey, every 40 minutes counts!!

http://www.kvg-kiel.de/en/fares/tickets-prices/monthlyticket.php

Go to the right hand side of the home page and fill in the trip details.

Lynn

The bahn.com doesn't seem to give you single fare ticket prices. I've found a website that does. I plugged in Kiel to Plon to see how much a fare would be so that we could take the 8:44 train. The train arrives in Plon at 9:13 so as Anni said that takes you past the 9:00 limit for the Sch-Hol ticket to kick in. A single one-way fare to Plon is showing as 6.30 euros per person. Then the Sch-Hol ticket would get you the rest of the way to Lubeck and back to Kiel. So if we manage to get to the station in time (looks to be about a 20 minute walk if we dock at Ostseekai and hopefully we can get off at 8:00) this is an option to get us to Lubeck by 9:52 instead of 10:32. Hey, every 40 minutes counts!!

http://www.kvg-kiel.de/en/fares/tickets-prices/monthlyticket.php

Go to the right hand side of the home page and fill in the trip details.

Lynn

Hi Lynn, thanks very much for that useful info. KVG is the Kiel local public transport company. I tried everything DB had but never thought of that one. At that price the extra won't break the bank and as you say, every minute counts.

Anni

Ok, Anni, I'm the person who will be going to Berlin from Warnemunde on a Great Weekend ticket. I just want to make sure I understand what I need to do here. My ship docks at 8 and since Oceania usually docks early and uses (I think) their projected "docked and cleared" time as arrival time, I would think I could get off at 8:15. I walk to the train station (thanks for info on your site) and buy a Great Weekend Ticket which allows my husband and I to get from Warnemunde to Rostock to Berlin on any RE train. (I simply buy a Great Weekend ticket, right, without having to specify where I'm going? Can I use a ticket machine there in Warnemunde? Will it accept a chip-less credit card? If not, there IS a counter in the station, right, that I can go to? Would you know if the ticket machine has an English option?) Anyway, continuing with my scenario and questions, I hopefully make the 8:37 train to Rostock, use your info to find the platform for the next train to Berlin and hopefully make the connection (think it's 9:07, but forget). Once in Berlin, I can use the ticket for public transportation there (although we'll probably just take the Hop On bus, since my husband's feet aren't as energetic as mine!) If we DO take the metro, do I just wave the ticket, or what? Are there special lanes or anything?

I will probably take the 4:45 train back to Rostock, and then a train to Warnemunde, just to allow time for unforeseen emergencies, since I don't want the ship to leave for Bornholm without us! (I think the ship takes our passports, so being without one and trying to get to a Danish island would ruin my day!)

Oh, other questions: Is there food for purchase on RE trains or should I get dinner in the Bahnhof? Does the Warnemunde lighthouse have a working light that I might be able to see from the port? What is the port web site, by the way? I'm still trying to figure out how many ships will be in port on the day we're there (Aug. 12).

Thank you SO much for this help. I really appreciate it!

Ok, Anni, I'm the person who will be going to Berlin from Warnemunde on a Great Weekend ticket. I just want to make sure I understand what I need to do here. My ship docks at 8 and since Oceania usually docks early and uses (I think) their projected "docked and cleared" time as arrival time, I would think I could get off at 8:15. I walk to the train station (thanks for info on your site) and buy a Great Weekend Ticket which allows my husband and I to get from Warnemunde to Rostock to Berlin on any RE train. (I simply buy a Great Weekend ticket, right, without having to specify where I'm going? Can I use a ticket machine there in Warnemunde? Will it accept a chip-less credit card? If not, there IS a counter in the station, right, that I can go to? Would you know if the ticket machine has an English option?) Anyway, continuing with my scenario and questions, I hopefully make the 8:37 train to Rostock, use your info to find the platform for the next train to Berlin and hopefully make the connection (think it's 9:07, but forget). Once in Berlin, I can use the ticket for public transportation there (although we'll probably just take the Hop On bus, since my husband's feet aren't as energetic as mine!) If we DO take the metro, do I just wave the ticket, or what? Are there special lanes or anything?

I will probably take the 4:45 train back to Rostock, and then a train to Warnemunde, just to allow time for unforeseen emergencies, since I don't want the ship to leave for Bornholm without us! (I think the ship takes our passports, so being without one and trying to get to a Danish island would ruin my day!)

Oh, other questions: Is there food for purchase on RE trains or should I get dinner in the Bahnhof? Does the Warnemunde lighthouse have a working light that I might be able to see from the port? What is the port web site, by the way? I'm still trying to figure out how many ships will be in port on the day we're there (Aug. 12).

Thank you SO much for this help. I really appreciate it!

roothy123, use this link for finding out how many ships in port:

http://www.cruisereport.com/crPort.aspx?id=965