Liquid Antibiotics for Infants

jlaxelrod

We are traveling on a RCCL this coming Saturday with our 9 month old. She has just come down with a cold, which sometimes turns into an ear infection several days later. If she gets one while we are onboard, does anyone know if the ship doctor has antibiotics in liquid form or should I bring my own just in case? Thanks!

I would suggest seeing your pediatrician and asking your pharmacist to dispense the water separately from the powdered antibiotic, so you may mix it yourself when you're onboard.

Ships doctors are expensive... and not covered by your insurance.

What you can also do is request something like Zithromax (azithromycin) which doesn't require refrigeration after reconstituted. But you should get it ONLY if the pediatrician thinks it's necessary.

All powdered antibiotics that need reconstitution should be discarded after 10-14 days depending on the antibiotic anyway, regardless of refrigeration.

I'm afraid of the ship's doctor.... aside from giving out meclizine or shooting you up with compazine for sea sickness, they don't necessarily want to take on serious responsibility. Your child's pediatrician is the best qualified to handle the situation, and you certainly don't want to have to pick up stuff at a port (even though you CAN buy Lipitor and other goodies from the "funny" pharmacies)

My toddler got a raging ear infection on a cruise and the nurses and doctors were wonderful and had everything we needed. It was a little more expensive than a regular office visit on land (I don't remember the exact amount). Bring your own thermometer so you can monitor fever yourself. I would also do as the others suggested though and go to your regular doctor before you leave in case they can give you what you need ahead of time to spare the time and expense. Also, the ship doctor has very limited office hours, so the big expense can come if you end up needing after-hours visits.

In my experience, the medical centers on board ships are amazing and really well equipped for all ages.

Best,

Mia

• 3 weeks later...

I would bring your own antibiotics. you can bring a small cooler for the medicine for on the plane and once in the room you can put in the fridge. i know when we brought my sons medicine. they didnt even count it as a bag. i would call your aorlime to make sure and to see what kind of ice packs are allowed. The only time we used the ships infirmery was this summer when my son fell and hit his head and needed stitches. the care was terrible. the nurse was rude and unknowledgable. and they wouldnot even give us antibiotic cream for the stitches!! this was on carnival so hope your ship is better.

You all must have fantastic doctors who are willing to write a prescription upon request...2 days before our trip on the Elation (a trip that ended up not happening after all), I got pinkeye. We all know how contagious that is and even though the antibiotic ointment they gave me would make me not contagious within 24 hours, I was worried my daughter would develop symptoms while on the ship. I called and asked her doctor if I could get meds for her just in case and was told I was SOL and that they won't write a prescription without symptoms present and an exam to confirm. I understand why they wouldn't prescribe, but a quick look in our medical files would affirm that we're not exactly pinkeye ointment abusers, you know? FTR, it's been 3 weeks and she still hasn't gotten pink eye. Knock on wood!

You all must have fantastic doctors who are willing to write a prescription upon request...2 days before our trip on the Elation (a trip that ended up not happening after all), I got pinkeye. We all know how contagious that is and even though the antibiotic ointment they gave me would make me not contagious within 24 hours, I was worried my daughter would develop symptoms while on the ship. I called and asked her doctor if I could get meds for her just in case and was told I was SOL and that they won't write a prescription without symptoms present and an exam to confirm. I understand why they wouldn't prescribe, but a quick look in our medical files would affirm that we're not exactly pinkeye ointment abusers, you know? FTR, it's been 3 weeks and she still hasn't gotten pink eye. Knock on wood!

I would think that a doctor who would prescribe antibiotics without an exam was not a good one. The only time my pediatrician did this was when we were out of town, and my ds (prone to ear infections) got one, and we had to get on a plane in 3 days. 80% of all ear infections are viral, and will clear up on their own. I usually wait a couple of days before going to the pediatrician, and will get a prescription, and on their advice, wait another couple of days before filling it.

The last time that we had to deal with pink eye I was able to get antibiotic eye drops from the pharmacy without a perscription. It was behind the counter, but you didn't have to have a perscription. Of course the rules vary from state to state and country to country, but it wouldn't hurt to ask at the pharmacy before you go.

We just got off the Westerdam last week. My daughter also gets terrible ear infections. I went to our family doctor and he prescribed liquid Amoxicillin, but when I had the prescription filled, I asked the pharmacist not to mix the water with the powder. He gave me the distilled water in a different container and the granules in another. That way, I had it when/if I needed it, but it wasn't spoiling by the minute.

Also, he told me to use GARASONE antibiotic eardrops as a preventative. Every night I would put ear drops in and we were totally problem free for the whole trip.

Archived