CDN vs US Funds

I've been reading a few posts lately about RCI gouging customers when paying in CDN funds vs US. It got me curious enough to check out the price difference in our upcoming cruise. We have never cruised before & just assumed that since we're in Canada, we'd have to pay in CDN funds. Anyhow, we have a GS booked for Southern Caribbean in July...the price difference between the 2 is less than $20!! That's much better than what I was expecting...I was worried that we had made a big mistake.

Anyhow...just thought I'd share :)

I usually book in Canadian dollars, as the exchange rate is generally acceptable. The problem I have had is that Royal Caribbean converts my onboard purchases to CDN $ and then charges my credit card in Canadian $. The exchange rate onboard isn't that favourable, and I would prefer that they left it in US$ and have my credit card company convert it. Years ago on a cruise, I needed to speak to about half a dozen people to confirm that they would be charging in US$, I signed forms, got people's names, etc and in the end they converted it anyhow. Since then, I figured it is not worth my time and chalk it up to another cruise expense.

How much difference you pay booking in $US vs $CAN is hit and miss, and can even depend on the cruise. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it...it certainly has little to do with current exchange rates. In your case, you were lucky.

As far as converting the onboard expenses to $CAN, yeah, they do that, so we just use a cash account now.

I usually book in Canadian dollars, as the exchange rate is generally acceptable. The problem I have had is that Royal Caribbean converts my onboard purchases to CDN $ and then charges my credit card in Canadian $. The exchange rate onboard isn't that favourable, and I would prefer that they left it in US$ and have my credit card company convert it.

When you complete the form for your setsail pass, you can request RCL to have your credit card company convert the $US. I've never had an issue with them not abiding by that but I do believe there are some passengers who have had problems.

When we booked Oasis last May for our Feb'11 cruise there was a really big difference between CAD and USD. I was told it was because RCI only sets their exchange rate once a year and early in the year it wasn't so good.

So we booked in USD. I notice now that there isn't that much difference so they must have adjusted it because the CAD is almost at par.

I've had the same experience as Host Jacquelyn.

I book in Cdn dollars as the exchange given on the sailings I've done has been fair. However, the exchange rate used onboard doesn't seem to be as favorable.

I've also had problems with RCCL doing the conversion when I've asked them not to. We now used a credit card to set up the seapass account, and then on the last night we pay the balance off with cash (or travellers cheques).

I always book & pay the cruise in Can $, But Royal always converts my onboard charges to Can $ even when requested not to. Too tired to argue with them.

We book in US$ now. Gave up on them, as it was always converted. Still have trouble as they want to convert it back to CA$ anyway, since we live in Canada. We now set up a Cash account and pay off the last night with our US$ CC.

There are many threads on this subject if you search.

When we booked Oasis last May for our Feb'11 cruise there was a really big difference between CAD and USD. I was told it was because RCI only sets their exchange rate once a year and early in the year it wasn't so good.

So we booked in USD. I notice now that there isn't that much difference so they must have adjusted it because the CAD is almost at par.

How can any company set an exchange rate once a year...that makes absolutely no sense. Regardless, everything is charged to credit card which always reflects "current" exchange rate. What am i missing here?

I always book & pay the cruise in Can $, But Royal always converts my onboard charges to Can $ even when requested not to. Too tired to argue with them.

This issue with the onboard account used to frustrate me as well but the last 5 cruises they have gotten it correct every time the first time and no having to go back to have it corrected. Most recently on our B2B Oasis cruise.

We always pay the cruise in US funds as well.

Archived