Kids being old enough to remember??

luvhubandbabys

Go for it! We took our 2 1/2 year old daughter in March and we all had a great time. She still talks about it and asks about getting her suitcase out to go on vacation! It doesn't really matter to us if she remembers it years from now. The important thing is that we all had fun.

Since one of you kids will be 2 at the time, you might want to keep in mind that some cruise lines' kids programs start at age 3. We went on Carnival partly because Camp Carnival starts at 2 (and they'll change diapers). She loved it! At the beginning she was tentative, but by the end of the cruise, when we asked her if she wanted to go to Camp she ran for the door!

Maybe as a working mom, my view is different than some others, but for me the vacation is about getting to spend stress-free quality time with my kids, no matter how old they are. My twins don't remember their first cruise at 13 months, but it was the first time in our lives where we got to spend an entire week just enjoying each other (and mom didn't have to run around taking care of buying groceries, cleaning, cooking, etc.), and the value of that is priceless for all of us.

Best,

Mia

We had a great trip. He doesn't really remember much of it, except the football game (yes, we were following the Badgers and saw the Great Dayne start his outstanding college career). He remembers Bucky Badger bumping him on his head when he tried to hug him (Bucky is a little blind, and very short kids make it very hard for him to see).

Hey DH and I were at that same game! I love being in Honolulu or Las Vegas when Bucky and friends take over the town.

I'm psyched that Brent and the crew are going to the Rose Bowl this year, but will be bummed if they don't repeat next year since my DD's high school marching band will be performing in the Tournement of Roses parade!

Yep, "We're Smelling Roses"- same 17 year old got to go to the 1994 Rose Bowl- he was 4 months old. He doesn't remember that trip at all :p so he thinks we should go this year (sorry dear, this year is a cruise to Alaska!). We have great memories of that trip. We took him because we were worried it would be another 30 year drought and at least he could say he was there!

A couple of videos for my other "Wisconsin Fans" out there- "We're Smelling Roses"

"Teach Me How To Bucky"-

No one else has such a cool Chancellor or Band Director (Biddy Martin and Mike!)

Thanks for the You Tube. We enjoyed those. I'm a proud UW graduate and a big football fan.

We sailed on the Oosterdam last June, so if you have any questions, just ask.

Sorry about the WI tangent, but I couldn't help myself. We're going to the Rose Bowl!!

The memories and milestones can be really special. My youngest who was a reluctant walker learned to walk on board because he didn't like the way the carpet felt when he crawled. Talk about your sea legs!!!

We tease him that it was the only way we were able to potty train him- mean parent story- we told him diapers weren't allowed on the plane and he believed us!

These stories are AWESOME! :cool:

The only really funny thing I remember was my younger son's reaction on the last day of his first cruise where he was so sad the vacation was over, he slouched in the stroller with tears welling up in his eyes while disembarking.

I remember asking him. "Don't you want to come back one day? Well, we can't come back if we don't leave!". He doesn't remember being so sad, but he's seen the photo.

At the risk of being flamed, I'm going to take a different tack than everyone else's. When I was 3, my family took a big driving vacation all through the West -- and I remember almost none of it. For years, I resented the fact that I was unable to share in the memory of this once in a lifetime trip. It felt almost as if they'd gone on this big, blow-out trip without me. (It took many, many years before I was able to finally get back to some of the spots we visited. And some of them, I still haven't been to.)

Here is the key: "once in a lifetime." Does this phrase describe the cruise you want to take? If so, I would wait until the kids are old enough to remember it. But if you're planning on doing other cruises sometime down the line, then I don't think it would matter as much. (My family took vacations to Florida every year, and while I don't remember the earliest ones, it never bothered me, because I remembered the ones we took when I was older.)

We took our twins on their first cruise when they were 3 YO. Do they remember it? Not really. BUT, since my DH and I love to cruise, we have taken then on 2 more since (they are almost 7 now).

Though they have no specific memories of that first cruise it was the first step in getting them accustomed to travelling and accustomed to mummy's and daddy's favourite way to vacation. They remember our last 2 cruises and they know exactly what to expect and how to behave. They LOVE cruising and are really annoyed that mummy and daddy aren't taking them on the "adult" cruise in January.

I, as a parent, now also have wonderful memories of my time spent with my "babies" and realize how blessed we are to be able to spend times like that together as a family.

After all the responses you've read, if you feel comfortable with the idea, then take them! It's an amazing way to spend time together!

I think everyone has pretty much said everything, but I thought I would add my two cents anyway, because I have cruised a ton with some very small children.

I have two children, now 3.5 and 16 months. We are taking a cruise at the end of January. It will be my daughter's 3rd cruise (took her when she was 9 months old, 13 months old, and now at 17 months old) and my son's 7th (3 months old, 9 months old, 13 months old, 18 months old, almost 3, just over 3, and 3.5). We have always had grandparents along (except for one time with my son when he was 18 months old and I was pregnant with my daughter). And I feel that having someone along to help is a must.

That said, cruising without children (which we did a lot pre-son) was a lot more relaxing. Cruising with kids, even with help, is a totally different experience. It is not about relaxation and chilling. It's about running around, riding elevators up and down, exploring. It's a lot of fun, but it is just a completely different type of vacation. Still, my husband and I don't want to go on vacation without the kids. We figure, soon enough they'll grow up and we'll have time to be alone. For now, vacations are our time to spend with them. And, I know my daughter won't remember the vacation, but we expect to cruise all the time, so she'll remember later cruises. My son does remember the last 2 cruises we took. Not the details, of course, but a lot of things. And he asks to go on the ship, and still mentions stuff months later. But really, this is not about them. It's about us as a family. My daughter would probably be as happy staying home, but not without mommy, and mommy and daddy and her brother want to go on the ship.

One thing to note, though, is that we live in NY and have never cruised from anywhere else with the kids. I will not fly with them, so that does limit where we can go. But, if there is a cruise within driving distance it is the ideal trip with kids. You just load up the car with everything, absolutely everything, and drive there. We definitely overpack the kids, but that means that so far we've always been prepared for anything.

Whatever you decide to do. Have fun!

It doesn't mean if your child wont remember the vacation you shouldn't take any vacations at all with your children. My parents never took any vacations & I definally remember that. We're going on a carnival cruise next month & we're taking out son who will be 16 months time of cruise. Ppl tell us that we should leave our toddler at home with the grandparents cus we will be more tired then rested. Plus it's almost the same price as for a adult. I reither take him then wonder how he's doing & I won't have fun on vacation at all. I heard many mothers thinking how their child is doing & not enjoying their vacation as much as they would like. This way we'll experience things together & we'll have a great busy vacation. Our toddler is like a tornado. But it makes things alot of more. Plus my family will be coming with & helping out a little. It's going to be a great family vacation. I can't wait.

Hello new here, just joined!!

Is this really important? Every spring we take a vacation this year we are going to FL to visit family which is always fun. Next year tho my kids will be 2 and 3. I have been dying to go on a cruise since my honeymoon 5yrs ago. Leaving them home is not an option for me.

Has anyone taken a 2 or 3 yr old ? What was it like?

Should we wait until they are older? Im just confused.

On Our first cruise my youngest turned 2. He wasn't potty trained and doesn't really remember. We cruised princess and he was too young for the kids club. (they have to be 3) We spent the whole 7 days together as a family! We also had our 12 and 7 yr olds with us. they didn't really want to go in the kids club. We played basketball, board games, watched movies, learned how to play shuffle board. Played in the pool, my 7 yr old even got to play bingo with me! We Ate every meal together face to face, with busy sports and school activities that doesn't happen at home! It was one of the best weeks of my life! This cruise the boys will be 15,10,&5 and off doing there own thing! I wouldn't trade that week of complete family time for ANYTHING!!!!!! I recommend it to anyone!

At 7 months its wonderful: you can't do anything at night due to bedtime, but they also can't run away from you yet! :D

At 14 months... well, lets just say you get lots of exercise chasing them around. I'm pretty sure we won't be taking another cruise until we can put them in Camp at least for a short while every day. :eek:

As a general thought: who wouldn't want to share the vacation experience with their children? So what if they don't remember. They won't remember any vacation, Disney on Ice, movies, etc. Should we lock them in a room until they can remember things? :confused:

FWIW, when on the cruise just about every comment that we got was positive. "How wonderful for them", etc. I think the people that suggest to leave the kids at home are jealous that we/you are going on a cruise! Take them, have great fun, and teach your kids patience by sweetly tolerating those who have to let you know how they feel you should raise your kids. :D

In agreement with everyone else. The trip isn't just about what they remember years later, but enjoying the moment. And the memories YOU'LL have of the experience with them will be priceless. We just brought my 2.5 year old on RCI Explorer, and I loved splashing with her in the pools and beach, watching her CRACK UP at the comedian (just because other people were laughing) and loving how excited she was about everything--asking to see more shows etc. Is she going to remember that? Maybe not. But it's a special experience of mine that I wouldn't give up for the world.

We also went to Disney World when she was 1.5. She really doesn't remeber it specifically, but we talk about it enough that she "remembers" what we tell her, lol. When we talk about the rides, she talks about the spaceship ride she went on, but she's really remembering a novelty restaurant in NYC (Mars 2112) that we went to when she was a bit older, lol. So, we just let her hold onto that Disney World memory even though it's the wrong time/place. Doesn't matter. She remembers special times that we had fun together as a family. That's what's important. And those are the memories that I'm going to hold onto, too, not "remembering" what I ate or other specific details of the cruise.

As far as remembering goes, I doubt a 2 or 3 year old will remember a cruise but they will have a lot of fun.

DS has been on 2 cruises with us at ages 13 months and 23 months. We are cruising again in Feb just before his 4th Birthday. I think he'll remember that one. For me, it's not about the kids' remembering, but my own memories of a fantastic family vacation and seeing my children's face light up with smiles and having a great time.

I have cruised many times with and without our children. When it's just DH and I, we get more time to relax and reconnect. But I have to admit, I always think of the kids when we do something fun and how much they would love it too. When travelling with young children, I go into it with low expectations. For example, this upcoming cruise, I'm planning that he will not like the Kid's Club. Then if he loves it, I'll be pleasantly surprised!!

Archived