Grand Cayman Beach Day - With Kids

bankerbabe

We are planning to visit Grand Cayman as part of our cruise in March of 2011. I've been studying and reading about beach options in Grand Cayman until my head spins, and I still can't make up my mind.

So, I'll ask you all! The other two times that we've been to Grand Cayman we did a snorkel trip and a visit to Stingray City. We've been there done that now, and just want to chill out on a beach.

I'm thinking 7 Mile Beach would be good, but then the question is where at on the beach? Our group is three families each with a mom and dad in mid 30s. Kids are two 15 year old boys, three 11 year old girls, and one lonely 10 year old boy (poor kid is going to be hen pecked to death).

We are looking for someplace that we can rent a couple of chairs and get some beer and a couple of mojitos. We would like to go somewhere that we won't need a second mortgage to afford those drinks.

Another option, and this is where I REALLY need your opinions, is to swing by a store somewhere and pick up some "provisions" before heading to the beach. Each family will have a soft-sided cooler for icing beverages in the cabins, so it wouldn't be impossible to keep a few drinks iced down. Maybe we could also pick up some snacky-lunchy type foods while we are there. I don't want to take food off of the ship, as I know that is not generally allowed.

Is there an area that we could rent chairs, but bring our own food/drinks? Or would we be restricted to a towel if we went that route?

Also, what's a good area for six kids ages 10-15?

Thank you all very much for your help.

Don't go there often, but I am pretty sure you can bring your own provisions and simply rent a chair(s) at the Public/Seagrape beach area. Same may be true at Royal Palms, but I am less knowledgeable about there. Both have restrooms, bar, restaurant, water sports rentals, etc...

You can take taxi or public bus to either location. You would pass a Kirks Grocery and a Fosters Grocery with liquor stores by the Fosters and along the route as well.

We went to Royal Palms. Chairs were like $5 or so. The Reef Grill was pricey, but it's been my experience that it's that way all over the island so you may want to plan on it. And the chairs are RIGHT in front of the restaurant and they'd probably frown on your bringing your own things in. They had a snorkel shack kind of thing there, no waverunners or anything that I saw. It was fine for just hanging out.

We are planning to visit Grand Cayman as part of our cruise in March of 2011. I've been studying and reading about beach options in Grand Cayman until my head spins, and I still can't make up my mind.

So, I'll ask you all! The other two times that we've been to Grand Cayman we did a snorkel trip and a visit to Stingray City. We've been there done that now, and just want to chill out on a beach.

I'm thinking 7 Mile Beach would be good, but then the question is where at on the beach? Our group is three families each with a mom and dad in mid 30s. Kids are two 15 year old boys, three 11 year old girls, and one lonely 10 year old boy (poor kid is going to be hen pecked to death).

We are looking for someplace that we can rent a couple of chairs and get some beer and a couple of mojitos. We would like to go somewhere that we won't need a second mortgage to afford those drinks.

Another option, and this is where I REALLY need your opinions, is to swing by a store somewhere and pick up some "provisions" before heading to the beach. Each family will have a soft-sided cooler for icing beverages in the cabins, so it wouldn't be impossible to keep a few drinks iced down. Maybe we could also pick up some snacky-lunchy type foods while we are there. I don't want to take food off of the ship, as I know that is not generally allowed.

Is there an area that we could rent chairs, but bring our own food/drinks? Or would we be restricted to a towel if we went that route?

Also, what's a good area for six kids ages 10-15?

Thank you all very much for your help.

Even if you stop at the store you will have sticker shock. Everything has to be imported and with our lousy exchange rate even the littlest thing costs a fortune. We bought a box of crackers at the grocery store - pay $1.89 here, but it was over $5.00 there. Easier just to pay the restaurant then you have no worries.

Archived