San Juan debarkation questions

Sheltieluv

Good morning

In looking at the Sunday, November 6 2011 debarkation in San Juan, I see that the yacht (SDI) shows arrival time at 7 a.m., and departing at 10 a.m.

This is probably a dumb ?, but does that mean that 10 a.m. is the latest possible time to leave the yacht? What would be the earliest possible time to get off (shortly after 7)? The reason I'm asking is that the flights from SJU are either at 9:45 a.m. or much later at after 1 p.m. (to Syracuse).

Of course we'd love to be on the 9:45 a.m. flight, but is that even feasible? (I'm thinking "not"...:confused:) I checked to see what other ships are in SJU on 11/6, and it looks like at least 2 of the "big guys" are there; one with 6 a.m. arrival, and one with 7 a.m. arrival. I'm thinking the airport on Sunday will be crazy?!

If we could hang out until 10 a.m. on the yacht, then the p.m. flight wouldn't be so bad...

Thoughts? Opinions? Thank you!:)

Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply. I did search for information on threads re. the SJU debarkation/airport situation (and had posted questions myself quite a while ago). There were varying opinions as to the earliest flight that was feasible--anything from "no way" for a flight before noon, to staying an extra day in San Juan, etc.

While we could stay over until Monday a.m., that of course would incur added expense. I just wasn't at all sure that a 9:45 outbound was do-able! We would also not be checking bags, as I am pretty sure we could do the 5-night w/ just carry-on bags.

In your experience, does SD arrive even earlier than 7 a.m. in San Juan? The earlier we could debark, the better (even tho I'm sure we'll hate to leave...)

I do appreciate the candid and forthright opinions of you SeaDreamers out there!

ps--Jim, I see you are in FL. Would you like some snow? We've got plenty up here and would be more than happy to share.....:eek:!!!

No snow please. It is already Winter here (means wearing socks with your boat shoes:eek:). SD usually docks right on time but it is dependent on the harbor pilot. Staff will take your travel info a few days out and they get the early flight people off first. The airport is about a 10 minute NASCAR type cab ride. Have fun

J.

harbor pilot was a few minutes late when we pulled into San Juan and people made the 9:45 flight with a bit of stress but SD staff did everything they could to get those people off the yachts first. Had prearranged with Immigration getting them off - but it was closer than some would have liked. Getting to airport around 9:30 was great for clearing security -- meant for an afternoon flight we were there a long time, but there was no hassle and no wait - didn't even have to use a porter.

FT

I'd like to make the 9:45 a.m. flight, but if there is a delay debarking I'd be a wreck worrying about getting there on time, :eek: ---not the way I'd like to end what we hope will be a fabulous vacation.

I didn't realize that the airport is only 10 minutes away, which certainly helps the time-crunch factor. Guess I'll just have to figure out how much of a gamble we want to take; hopefully we would have the same experience as Jim! Or, if we decide on a later flight, hanging out in the airport with a few thousand new-found friends....

As you can tell, I'm still on the fence about this!

Does the airport have a lounge to relax in after checking in? A few Red Stripes would be in order, I think!:rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies---you've given me a lot to think about!

I'd like to make the 9:45 a.m. flight, but if there is a delay debarking I'd be a wreck worrying about getting there on time, :eek: ---not the way I'd like to end what we hope will be a fabulous vacation.

Does the airport have a lounge to relax in after checking in? A few Red Stripes would be in order, I think!:rolleyes:

Because I hate ending the trip in a rush - we take the strategy of not rushing to make the flight. Several years ago, INS or Homeland Security or some other US agency took more than 45 minutes to allow passengers off and people missed their early flights. I swore to never go through that headache - so we just eat a leisurely breakfast (but no Eggs Benedict thanks to the weird US rules that are stricter on ships than on hotels. . . . another pet peeve):rolleyes: and head to the airport (unless ZQ Vol makes the taxi driver stop at the Polo outlet on the way!).

Unless I've missed them San Juan doesn't have airline lounges but does have a number of bars. So its possible to imbibe, just not for free! And after a week on SD, its very tough to start paying for alcohol again!;)

FT

They told us not to book a flight until after 12? Is there the ability to leave your luggage or will there be airline reps there who will take your luggage? Would like to be able walk around Old San Juan for a little bit before heading to the airport.

I didn't realize that the airport is only 10 minutes away, which certainly helps the time-crunch factor. Guess I'll just have to figure out how much of a gamble we want to take; hopefully we would have the same experience as Jim! Or, if we decide on a later flight, hanging out in the airport with a few thousand new-found friends....

As you can tell, I'm still on the fence about this!

Thanks for your replies---you've given me a lot to think about!

I know ctbjr and his DW and one or two other couples had an early flight (like around 9 a.m. ish) when we disembarked from the Crossing last month.

The only airline lounge still open at SJU is American. There is a bar, where we killed a few hours after our USAir flight was delayed in March '09. The bar is still open as we passed it when we headed to the gate for our flight last month.

I really do wish SD had a lounge at the airport to ease the transition.

We've done the hiring a taxi for a few hours and it works quite well. Ours took us to Old San Juan and gave us a guided walking tour. We also had lunch there. We just found him at the port when we arrived, but there were 6 of us which makes it easy to get a van tour of your own. They also took us to the airport. Perhaps there will be others who want to join you. If not I still think the taxi is a really good option.

Have a great cruise!

Unless it's changed recently, there is no "hanging out" on the ship in SJU. At other ports (STT, for example) once the ship clears immigration, you can depart at your leisure (but be off by 10 am!). In SJU, once the ship clears, everyone has to leave. There is no place to store luggage as you must leave the cruise terminal. Last time, we walked over to the Sheraton and were able to have the guy store our luggage for a few hours (and gave him a substantial tip). Then we took the trolley, which was great fun. There are a couple of different routes which go through old town and by San Cristobal. We got off there and toured the fort, then hopped back on the trolley and had lunch somewhere (think it was the Sheraton) before getting a cab to the airport. Believe our flight is around 1:45 pm in January, so we may do the same thing. The airport has some ok bars and it's not a bad place (especially since they finished the renovations), but I kind of hate hanging around airports when I could be doing something else :)

Vandrefalk

You are absolutely correct vandrefalk! There is no waiting until 10 a.m. to disembark in SJU. I think DJ's DH and I were the last ones off the ship in SJU last month and it was about 9:07 a.m. as we walked down the gangway with Peter carrying our hand luggage. (Where is that crying smilie when I need it:eek:).

Archived