Using Skype to phone home

SALAD MUNCHER

Just to let everyone know. I bought credit from skype in order to phone home via my laptop during my recent cruise (27th Nov) as my mother is 80 and in ill health and I wanted to keep in regular contact. I also bought an internet package on board QM2 to facilitate this. The first 7 days were fine, managed to give her a quick call every day. However on day 8 suddenly Cunard decided to block the site! Having tried for a long time I could not get onto the site, and used my precious internet minutes in the process. I was really upset and went to speak to the internet manager who said it is Cunard's policy to block VOIP websites as they take up too much band width (which is totally incorrect). When I queried why, if this was the case, it was not mentioned anywhere in the pre cruise documents or in the internet information sheet left in the cabin on first boarding. Also, why was I able to use the site for 7 days before it was blocked. He could not give me an answer and said I should complain to the Pursers office, which I did. The only explanation I was given was that it was Cunard's policy. They had no reasonable explanation and also had no sympathy for my situation, as I had not brought my mobile to enable me to phone home as this would be very expensive. Does anyone else have any experience of this? :mad::mad:

I believe that Cunard block all voip sites, the fact that you were able to use it for a week is unusual and, in reality you were lucky to be able to use it for that period. I know that it seems weird but they want you to use the satellite or ship to shore. I don't really get their logic as whilst the call is free, you have had to pay to access the internet. Weird, but the World is being run by Accountants now so common sense is out of the window.

Thats a great shame, I did try to use skype back in october and it was indeed blocked by the ship, i did however get a great deal on my cell phone and I could phone anywhere in the world for just £1.80 a minute, I thought this was a good price, the QM2 phones are a lot more.

While the you do pay for internet time , cunard would make a lot more from the phone calls from the room and or any commission the cell phome company has to pay?

As you got it free for a while, maybe its worth trying again

I use VOIP for work.

Yes, it does take up a lot of bandwidth.. and if my internet provider is having a bad day...

I do too with calls breaking up and dropping.

I'm actually surprised you got through at all. It is the policy of all cruiselines I know, to block VOIP.

I was not using the video for calls, just a quick (usually less than 2 mins) voice call to check she was OK, so I don't think the bandwidth would have been huge. However I now realise that it is not based on an individual's usage.

The Pursar's office did ring the room and said to my hb that sykpe change their codes?? regularly and QM2 have to keep searching for their (skype's) new codes in order to block the site. That was the explanation given for me being able to use the site for 7 days.

All I would ask is they make it plain, in an area of their documentation which is seen by everyone, that they block these types of sites. Then cruisers can make other arrangements beforehand.

I was not using the video for calls, just a quick (usually less than 2 mins) voice call to check she was OK, so I don't think the bandwidth would have been huge. However I now realise that it is not based on an individual's usage.

The Pursar's office did ring the room and said to my hb that sykpe change their codes?? regularly and QM2 have to keep searching for their (skype's) new codes in order to block the site. That was the explanation given for me being able to use the site for 7 days.

All I would ask is they make it plain, in an area of their documentation which is seen by everyone, that they block these types of sites. Then cruisers can make other arrangements beforehand.

If Cunard had to tell everyone everything that they don't allow on board the brochure would be encyclopaedic. It is obvious that they won't allow voip as it directly affects their income. Same with you bringing liquor on board, it is forbidden but they turn a blind eye as long as you don't take liberties. You should be grateful that you managed to use it while you could, which proves that it is always worth trying.

Actually they only block Skype once they run out of clotted cream. That way the complaints are about Skype and everyone forgets about the clotted cream.

Is that in case you use skype to phone ashore and order the clotted cream.:rolleyes:

Archived