Carnival Card and Sea Miles suck!

thompsongunner06

OK,,,we have been on 9 cruises,,,have had the CC charge card since 2006. Have not used the miles yet. We received a promo post card to get double miles during July and August. We did what they had printed and we are still trying to get them to do what it promised. One call the operator says yes,,,then no double points on bill,,,next operator says we dont get them,,,then back and forth. A case number has been given and still no call or fixing it. When its all done we will use the points on the next cruise and cut the damn thing up.Its a high rate,we dont use it much,if we do we pay it off by end of the month. Just want all to know about the card.

I get mad at my credit cards sometimes too. But if you pay it off each month then the high interest shouldn't be a problem. Still, when you are expecting to get extra points from a promotion it is really irritating to know you spent that money for no real benefit. Maybe you'll get it worked out. Good luck!

I love my card-finally! The old Sea Miles program stunk, the current Fun Points is MUCH easier to use. We are leaving Monday on the Miracle on our FREE 8 day cruise. I found however when booking (I had enough points for the entire thing) to have the PVP charge the entire amount at one time, as soon as it shows up on the statement you can go online to redeem you points, within 24-48 hrs the cruise cost was removed from our bill & we started collecting more points again. I am at least 1/2 towards our next cruise! Downside, you can use them on any line owned by CCL, however your points do not work the same way. For the same amount of points that I could get a free 8 day balcony on Carnival, I didn't have enough for an inside 5 day on Princess? That part is not good when you are talking dollar for dollar. But we use it on everything to earn those points but I have to make sure to pay it at the end of the month to avoid those nasty finance charges.

We will put our $ign & $ail on the MasterCard for double points and possibly be able to pay it off using those same points if I want, or just let the points ride for the next cruise. I figure I've saved so much on the cruise I (hopefully) can do the sign & sail.

One other thing, once I booked & paid the entire cruise with points, I switched from PG to ES & saved $100 which appeared as a credit on my MC bill, later as ES we had a price drop of another $100 which is an OBC. So that's another $200 off my MC bill that was covered by points. I'm a happy sailor! lol;)

I don't know why you are having problems. I received my Carnival cc in May 2006. Any Carnival cruise related purchases I have made, it is automatically credited at 2x points. The interest is very high, but I too, pay it off every month, so I don't really care about that. Also, when I went to redeem them a few months ago, I actually received about 1.2% for every dollar spent. They have a calculator on the old seamiles(barclaycardus.com) website to figure out how many points you need to pay for your cruise.

Yes, in the beginning of that Seamiles program, you used to be able to use the points on any cruise line, resort, etc., it was then changed a couple of years ago.

Nevertheless, my balcony room up on upcoming March sailing is free of charge, due to the redemption of points.

I had read all these horror stories about not being able to redeem them, having to wait 90 days after sailing, etc. For me, it worked smooth as silk. I even added the prepaid gratuities on 2 months after redeeming/paying for the cruise and was able to use more points to pay for those too.

I stopped using mine and switched to Discover Miles card. I like it better and the interest is a whole lot lower (although I pay off my bill every month so the interest rate isn't a decision maker for me). With the CCL card, you can use it on Carnival cruises only. With Discover Miles card, all travel gets double points (hotels, rental cars, airfare etc) and I just used 10K points to get a $100 credit on my credit card bill and I've never paid them a dime in interest. Love it.

I too rarely use my Carnival M/C. I have gotten one $50 OBC with it. The points don't add up fast enough for me. I prefer Capital One, like previous poster, I can use the points on any travel, including my hotel, and airfare. I have paid for two cruises with it and have enough points for the next one.

I also have had my Carnival M/C since 2006...EVERYTHING than can be charged is on my card...we pay it off monthly...so again like the others the interest rate is of no concern...In Feb we are doing an 8 day cruise to the Panama Canal in an aft ext balcony..FREE...the shore excursions and trip insurance was also paid with points so FREE..our airfare was paid with points, so again FREE and as I see it, our S&S will also be paid with points..so, other than cab drive and porter tips a totally free cruise and it really cost me nothing other than the diligence of using the card where ever possible....personally I LOVE this card so much better than the old seamiles...Once the charge appears on my credit card I go to the redemtion tab, use my points and it it taken care of in 24 - 48 hrs..

OP I hope that you get satisfaction with your double points for your July-August purchases as they do add up...I wish they had sent me that offer, I'd have about 10,000 more points :D

I too love my Carnival card. Use it for gas, grocery's, and all incidentals all month. Pay it off each month and get at least a free short cruise every year.

Me too, well, not a free cruise, but almost free, love it! I have other cars that offer other incentives, but I prefer a cheap cruise!

OK,,here is the end story. They did not do what they offered. We pay it off(when we use it) at the end of the month. We have 27,000 points so we have $250 credit. We will use them for the next cruise and then cut the card up. The rate is no issue. The issue was they did not keep their word. We have all the proof. We did every thing required.

I too have the fun points card and got the same offer for 500 bonus points but mine was for the month of October. If you read the fine print at the bottom of the offer it says that it can take 10-12 weeks for the points to be posted and of course your account must be in good standing to receive the bonus points. It also says that you have to make the purchases at places defined by the mastercard merchant category code. I made the 3 purchases in October and am waiting to see if my bonus points post. If they don't post within 12 weeks I will call them to inquire about it. I wouldn't give up, I would keep trying. We have used our fun points for onboard credit and also for credit to the charge card itself. We also pay all our charge cards off each month. I do all my transactions to redeem fun points online and find it very easy. Good luck with getting your points.

Archived