Pacific Sun - Not cruising, parked off Sydney!!!!

flygirlb737

Has anyone else done a 3 day Pacific Sun cruise to nowhere? The itinerary suggested we sail out of Sydney harbour, our to sea for 3 days and back. Instead, we sailed out and parked off Sydney for 3 days. We could actually see the city skyline. We moved for about 1 hour each day, but still in view of Sydney. I thought this was very strange. The outside decks were very hot as there was no airflow through because we were still. If we were in fact just anchored off the coast to save money, I would think we would get a refund for some of the fuel costs!!!!! Anyone else had this experience?

With those 'Theme' cruises and short cruises to nowhere, I think it the weather plays the main part on deciding where the ship travels.

I've seen reports of some cruising the whole time, some sailing down the coast and anchoring in Jervis Bay most of the time and others where they stay within sight of Sydney as you did.

Although since the Pacific Jewel breakdown, you may be right and P&O are trying to save money. If it was me I'd be a bit dissapointed if we just anchored off the coast:(

I was also on this cruise and was also a bit disappointed that we didnt "move " a bit more I didnt mind seeing the city skyline in the distance but would have liked to have actually been moving through the water A big part of my pleasure in cruising is watching the ship move through the water and watching the wake behind us. My other big gripe was the dining arrangements . I much prefer assigned meal times. we found it difficult to get a table in restaurant when we wanted to eat.the steakhouse and bordeaux restaurants were booked out even before we sailed . we found a good waiter the first night in Burgundy restaurant but werent able to get on his tables again . We are a quiet middle aged couple and were placed at tables with young loud party goers . nothing in common with them ,so we had most meals in buffet ,which was a bit disappointing as I love getting waited on ,preferably with table companions who i feel comfortable with. I know some cruise companies offer a choice of anytime dining in one restaurant and the traditional 1st and 2nd seatings in the other restaurant. perhaps this is something P&O could look at . Not everyone likes to be thrown in with a bunch of strangers every meal time .I prefer to get to know my dinner companions and my waiter . Having said that i still enjoyed the short cruise-really needed the break .I felt the staff were great,seemed more contented than staff on Jewel earlier this year. Going back onthe Sun was like putting on an old pair of slippers-its looking a bit frayed and tatty but felt comfortable and welcoming!

Has anyone else done a 3 day Pacific Sun cruise to nowhere? The itinerary suggested we sail out of Sydney harbour, our to sea for 3 days and back. Instead, we sailed out and parked off Sydney for 3 days. We could actually see the city skyline. We moved for about 1 hour each day, but still in view of Sydney. I thought this was very strange. The outside decks were very hot as there was no airflow through because we were still. If we were in fact just anchored off the coast to save money, I would think we would get a refund for some of the fuel costs!!!!! Anyone else had this experience?

Same over here in Perth Elisha,

We went on the Pacific Sun earlier this year on a 3 day cruise to NOWHERE ex Fremantle only to find out that we travelled 3 hours south to Busselton and anchored for 2 days then on the last night cruised very slowly back to Fremantle to arrive at 4.ooam in stead of 7.ooam as arranged.

Captain did mention that we could run into adverse weather conditions so thats why we anchored down in Busselton. I did have a laugh though as all the pleasure craft came out to see us over the next two days, including sale boats with there motors running due to no wind.LOL (adverse weather conditions my bottom) Fuel saving for sure.

Yes we still had a great time though.

Cheers Johhno

MMM

i to thought about taking one of these to get my mum used to cruising. We were going to do an alaskan cruise but she chickened out so we went on a tour of usa instead. After fellow travellers told her how great it was she now wnats to go but i didnt want to risk going all the way there and then have her be scared. I thought one of these might be a good idea but not if it doenst really move much

mmm

MMM

i to thought about taking one of these to get my mum used to cruising. We were going to do an alaskan cruise but she chickened out so we went on a tour of usa instead. After fellow travellers told her how great it was she now wnats to go but i didnt want to risk going all the way there and then have her be scared. I thought one of these might be a good idea but not if it doenst really move much

mmm

Hi Firefly_Nelie,

Why dont you use a coastal cruise P&O Week Tropique (7 nights) would be a great introduction with some ports included and still buy duty free and not to far off the coast.

Thanks CC

I really thought a cruise to nowhere would be all cruising, with a beautiful sea breeze. I too would have been extremely disappointed.

Looks like to really experience a short cruise, you need to take a cruise from say Melbourne to Sydney, or Sydney to Brisbane.

MMM thing is its still a 7 day cruise which is what the alaskan one is. I figured a short 3 day one that way if she is scared its only 2 more days mum, mum its only 1 more day you can handle it, lol

The sydney to melbourne ones might be an idea though. Might even see if i can con my sisters into coming along

I did the Jewel last Feb for a weekend and we actually sailed from Sydney towards the Gold Coast and back. However, when we did the Comedy Cruise on the Sun in Sept, all we did was sail between Newcastle and Sydney. Im am assuming the weather is the overall factor on these weekend cruises - but dont let that put you off. We are doing the Pearl in Feb and cant wait

How bizarre! I've only been on one 3 night cruise many years ago and I know that we 'sailed' ... don't know where (but who cares) definitely couldn't see coastline ... let alone Sydney skyline. I'm going on the Pearl's 3 night comedy cruise in Feb and I'll be bitterly disappointed if we anchor off sydney heads. Although I imagine that it might help for those who get seasick???

MMM thing is its still a 7 day cruise which is what the alaskan one is. I figured a short 3 day one that way if she is scared its only 2 more days mum, mum its only 1 more day you can handle it, lol

The sydney to melbourne ones might be an idea though. Might even see if i can con my sisters into coming along

I am booked on a 4 nighter from Newcastle to MElbourne and back on the Pacific Sun in March, maybe this one might suit you. Where do you live? There is also aa 2night relocation cruise on the 6th March from Newcastle to Sydney :).

Archived