transportation in rio

ehschief

We are on the Infinity our of Buenos Aires on the 13th but going to Rio and the falls beforehand. My husband and I were in Rio last year and transportation for 2 at 25 dollars each is not bad but when you multiply by 10 it seems way too much. We used Grayline last year and they were great, very efficient.

You don't define what you mean by "cheap" nor what convenience you need.

There is a "Royal bus that goes from the airport to Copacabana for about 6-7 Reais, and it's safe and air conditioned, but may not stop right in front of your hotel (your hotel can likely tell you). The bus wil go through downtown and stop at the central bus station, and Santos Dumont Airport, then go through Flamengo/Botafogo, before continuing on to Copacabana, Ipanema, etc. On the way back to the airport it does not (or at least did not when I last used it) stop at the bus station.

Using taxis, even 60 Reais, never mind 60 USD, sounds high. The last time I used one of the flat-rate "radio taxis" you can reserve in the baggage claim area, or in the main terminal corridor area, the rate was less than that per car (probably just a couple of passengers with baggage), and those taxis cost more than metered taxis. There were two companies with flat-rate taxis, and you could pay by credit card. You know the rate in advance. I do understand wanting to have everyone together, but if you don't find a way to do that at a good price, you could talk withthe flat rate taxi folks and see if they have larger taxis or, at least, could get all of you to your hotel at about the same time.

I don't hesitate to take metered taxis from the airport (do avoid the gypsy cabs parked up the road), and that saves money, but a flat rate taxi is a little easier.

Note that if you take a regular taxi anywhere in Rio, there will be a number indicating the "banda," indicating the rate, based on the time of day. "1" is the standard rate, during the day and into the evening. "2" is a more expensive rate, at night and on Sundays (and perhaps, as it is here in Fortaleza, all day during certain holiday periods). Sometimes a driver will "forget" to change from 2 back to 1 at the start of the day. As noted, radio taxis, such as Coopertur, which you contract with inside the airport (and at many other airports in Brazil) are flat-rate and don't, as far as I know, have different rates at different times of the day (but are also more expensive than regular taxis). I don't know of any hotels with their own cars or vans (they may exist), but some will contract with, or recommend, private car services to pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel. I've never used one. Based on reports I've seen, those are usually markedly more expensive than even radio taxis.

Archived