SakeDad - Where's review of Sky??

Michuck

Hi Michele,

I will be writing a long review with loads of pics hopefully tonight. But a brief synopsis follows:

Embarkation: A breeze! Showed up at 1pm and walked straight in to register. Onboard in 20 minutes. Went to the Palace MDR for lunch. I had the shrimp/salmon/avocado sandewish which was good.

Rooms ready around 2pm (you can drop your carry on off in Captain Cooks bar until then)

Cabin 9026 Balcony....SMALL!!!:eek: Balcony was almost as big as the cabin! Having been on the Star a few years ago I remembered that but forgot just how small.

The crew was good for the most part. We did not have robes in our cabin but a quick chat at the front desk took care of that. The table on the balcony was dirty upon our arrival (past guests spillage) and it was never wiped up the whole time, even though we had room service plates, etc out there ourselves. One day we slept in until 10a and got a note saying if we needed service to call. No towel animals either (LOL...that seriously does not make or break for me.) But there was hair on the new towels, one of the bathmats had huge black stains. In general I was NOT impressed with the room stewards or their cleanliness.

My favorite bartenders were Rudy at Atrium Bar (where all the FOD meetings are) and a guy named "Double A" at the Plantation Club. I had not known about Plantation Club (next to Cagney's) until late but I did love the Executive Club feel of it.

Now to the really bad news. The food. It was "pedestrian" at best and plain out elementary school cafeteria at worst. And that INCLUDES Le Bistro. I will post pics for proof tonight. But it was plain and untasty and teh presentation wasn't good either. Yes I realize they are serving 2000+ people, that is no excuse for lazy food.:mad:

Great Stirrup Cay was nice. There is a really nice quiet part of beach to the right when you go. There are hammocks in trees to the left. They are building a new restaurant and other areas that will be open next year but it didn't impede on island activities. You have to walk over the island to get to the jet skis and kayaks and it was a nice little bay area. The BBQ lunch was nice as well.

Oh, the entertainment (what I saw) was NOT the best. Saw the rock and roll show the 1st night and it was very sad. The band poolside couldn't hold a key but was LOUD too! Not a good combo.

We did enjoy the sailing, though. Oh, we used the spa. I got the seaweed wrap + massage and it was nice. We did not get off in Nassau as I was told there was no reason to and believed them.

I will give ALOT more details tonight but this will get you started to ask questions.

It really is a 3 day booze cruise. If you're not a drinker there may be limited things to do. The spa is NOT a great spa, althought the services were girls there were nice. But there is no place you want to just go relax. The gym looked GREAT! There were also yoga, spinning etc classes if you want those. The Outrigger was closed for a wedding one day. The waiters poolside really DO get annoying (like flies) as they are CONSTANTLY interrupting to ask if you want a drink, but I'm sure NCL management has given them instructions to do it.:rolleyes:

I will post more tonight and pics.......stay tuned.

Unfortunately, I couldn't access any pictures....will await your next post with a fuller review and pictures.....

Thanks for taking the time.....

Michele

P.S. I won't let your review sway me....as far as the food goes, it can't be any worse than my own cooking!!

The pictures of the food aren't THAT bad....just trying to figure out what some of it is!! LOL

The people pictures are much nicer!!! :-)

Still looking forward to the weekend....need it really, really badly.

I'll write a review when I return.....

Michele

You took some really beautiful pictures, SakeDad! Glad to hear you had a good time, for the most part. I have to say I'm a bit surprised that you were told Nassau wasn't worth getting off the ship for. I've often read that about Freeport, but not Nassau. DH and I actually have had a tough time narrowing down all of the things we'd love to see/do there, we're really looking forward to it. I guess that is one of those things, like food, that can be very subjective.

I'm looking forward to your full review, if you are still planning to do one!

Thanks for the pictures. Did you happen to get any menus or dailies? I'm trying to figure out what day to eat at one of the specialty restaurants. From what I've seen of the food people have commented on in the MDR, it looks like Sky 3 days use the first 3 days of the 7-day menu while the Sky 4 days use the last half of that menu. Any idea if I'm correct?

Archived