Renting a Tux

I have a couple of quick questions about renting tuxes as this is our first cruise.

First, are most of the men in tuxes, or are suits acceptable on formal night? (We are on a 7 night cruise). Also, if you rent one on board, how long will you usually have to stand in line to be fitted, etc?

Our last cruise we rented a tux and you send in your measurements ahead of time before the cruise. The plus was the fact that you had the tux for both formal nights so one less suit to bring along in the luggage!

Can they be rented during during the cruise?

Our last cruise we rented a tux and you send in your measurements ahead of time before the cruise. The plus was the fact that you had the tux for both formal nights so one less suit to bring along in the luggage!

So when you got there, did your husband have to wait at all to get his? My husband's concern is that he doesn't want to waste any time standing in a line with everyone else to rent a tux.

If he doesn't rent it though, will he be the "odd man out" if he just wears a suit?

I've always rented thru Cruise Line Formal Wear. Done it beforehand. Tux package (jacket, slacks, shirts, shoes,etc.) have always been in cabin afternoon of embarkation. I do it because a suit, with dress shoes, can be bulky, and a space-grabber in baggage. That being said, a dark suit, if you so choose, is perfectly fine, and actually in the majority on RCCL ships. If you do go with the rental tux, do it before you board, as the selection on the ship is much more limited. Also, allow yourself some extra room in measurements, as the rentals seem to run a little smaller, and we all tend to get a little larger, particularly by the second formal night.

First, how many wear tuxes? It varies from cruise-to-cruise since so much depends on the passengers. The same ship two weeks back-to-back can easily go from 10% tux to 60% tuxes. Hard to tell. A nice formal suit will always suffice for formal night as you will then be towards the median. There will always be those who whether for comfort, health, lost luggage, or rebelliousness will dress down. Again, the number who do that vary from cruise-to-cruise. The upshot is that your husband should wear what he feels comfortable wearing to a "black-tie-optional" affair. If he would go to a premier event in a tasteful suit, that's what he should do. If he wouldn't feel comfortable without renting a tux, he should do that.

Renting the tux. He can rent ahead of time as suggested by some people. The benefit is that it is delivered to your cabin and you don't have to worry about it. He'll have it for all formal nights on the cruise and will have to return it after the last formal night. The best way to get fitted is to go on-line, get the measurement form and take it to any local formal wear rental shop and have them do the measurements and complete the form. Don't worry, there is no charge for this and they are happy to do this. It is part of the formal wear industry and they all do this--it's standard. Then you can either call the 800 number and rent the tux or you can bring the form with you and provide them the measurements on board.

Last, if you want to wait until you get on board to get measured, then you should check with the rental shop/person early on. (S)He can tell you how busy and when the busy times will be. Obviously, they'll be busy the first day through the deadline for renting tuxes for first formal night. The person can tell you when busy times are likely to be and when the are likely to quieter. Just avoid the busy times and he won't have to wait long. On our Jewel cruise two weeks ago, I saw the tux stand open with several people in line (5-6) and times when anyone walked up and got measured and on their way with maybe one person before them to times when the rental person was standing waiting and no one was there.

Last thing to consider, if you are either going to be a frequent cruise or occasionally have reason to wear a tux, then your husband should consider buying one. There are men's wear discounters that can provide one for the $200-250 range. Since the tuxes cost around $90 to rent, wear it for three occasions and you've recouped the cost of the tux. And for variety, you can purchase different accessories for a lot less. I have two different vest and tie sets (one black and one with a black and maroon silk pattern) and one cumberbund and tie set. I am also thinking of getting a blue/black combo. You can often find vest/tie or cumberbund/tie combos for tuxes in formalwear or fancier men's wear shops. Hence one tux and two accessory combos and you have two outfits for two formal nights.

I rented a tux for our last cruise.Was the best,tux was in the room when we got there.I went to the bridal store where we rented our tuxes for my wedding to get measured.Then called cruise line formal.My wife said its unfair that I could rent a tux and she couldn't rent a dress.

Archived