Vancouver pre-cruise:uptown or downtown

Kaki

I am looking at two Best Westerns in Vancouver one is uptown and the other is downtown. What are the pros and cons for staying in these two areas?

We will arrive in Vancouver before noon and we will be staying one night pre-cruise. I am still researching things to do....thinking about Stanley Park. There are 5 in the family: 70, 55, 33, 32, and 3 years old. We can walk, take a bus, or a taxi. Any ideas?

If your going to ask a question it would be sort of useful if you at least mentioned the location? so people could help you. The Uptown hotel they list in Vancouver is on Kingsway and is nowhere near downtown Vancouver. The location on Drake is very nice and pretty new. The Chateau Granville is much older but has absolutely huge rooms so for a 'family' its nicer than a conventional hotel room. Its on granville which is very walkable and close to cruise docks as is Drake.

I'm hoping that those were the two you were deciding between.

I've stayed at the Chateau Granville and thought it was great. You could walk to the pier (I think it's about a mile) but might be too far to walk to Stanley Park.

I took a "morning of" city tour that picked me up at the hotel and dropped me at the pier. (Sorry, I don't have the name of the tour company handy.)

The first one on your list is located in the historic Mt Pleasant neighbourhood - one of the first in Vancouver - it has a small shopping mall across the street and good eateries a block or two away. This is a lively and growing area of young gen 30`s types and is reasonably safe to walk around. Well served by transit - however it is no where near most city attractions and what you might save in hotel costs you will pay for in transit and extra travel time. I know the area well as I lived there for 30 years before moving downtown.

As for the other two locations - they are less than two blocks apart - most people prefer the Drake St location as it is at the upper end of the Granville entertainment district - so a little quiter on weekends when the district is full of people enjoying Vancouver`s night life.

It has also a free shuttle that will take you to the pier and a White Spot restaurant -a family dining chain for more than 80 years.

I can see both of those hotels from my condo.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dennis

These are the hotels I am considering.....:D

Best Western Uptown Hotel , 205 Kingsway

Best Western Downtown Hotel, 718 Drake

Best Western Chateau Granville, 1100 Granville

Urban Trekker beat me to it, but the 'Uptown' location is not really near tourist things, whereas the other two are in the downtown area and very convenient.

Thank you for the information!!!!

I now have a reservation at the Drake Street Best Western.

We will be cruising the mid-week Volendam sailing 6/15/11.

I would look into bidding for a room closer to sailing if there were only two of us traveling.

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking for a nice hotel close to the Cruise Terminal for a Departure of Aug. 20, 2011 with free parking for the car. A further away hotel with free parking would also be good if there was a shuttle or a short taxi ride to the terminal.

Thanks for any tips. Motels are also okay.

There is no such thing a free parking in downtown Vancouver parking runs about $20 per day. I believe the Best Western-Downtown on Drake St. officers a stay, park and cruise package as do Accent Inns which operate two motel properties in the burbs. The Coast Plaza Hotel on Comox/Denman St. was offering such a package but you would need to check with them as Coast was scheduled to close that hotel.

We are looking for a nice hotel close to the Cruise Terminal for a Departure of Aug. 20, 2011 with free parking for the car. A further away hotel with free parking would also be good if there was a shuttle or a short taxi ride to the terminal.

Check out The Robson Suites! I you plan to stay a few days ahead in Vancouver. They have a kitchen, and laundry in the suite!! The review sites give it a near perfect rating. It is close to Canada Place (terminal) walking distance to Stanley Park, Yes it has free covered parking! They do shuttle you to the cruise terminal. Go look at them online! We booked them for our Sept 2011 cruise out of Vancouver.

I had to do a quick google check to learn about it as I has never heard of that long term stay facility - now I know where it is and there is a McDonald`s right there for your early morning coffee - question is - will they let you store your car while away on a cruise if you book post cruise

Good location - lot`s of eateries there and on nearby Denman Street

Cheers

Dennis

I had to do a quick google check to learn about it as I has never heard of that long term stay facility - now I know where it is and there is a McDonald`s right there for your early morning coffee - question is - will they let you store your car while away on a cruise if you book post cruise

Good location - lot`s of eateries there and on nearby Denman Street

Cheers

Dennis

Not sure about storing it while on the cruise, I would ask, maybe they do offer it for guests. Good luck!

OH and there is a Starbucks near there too!! My must have! lol

Safeway across the street as well. Looks to be a great location! I am really excited about it.

Thank you for the information!!!!

I now have a reservation at the Drake Street Best Western.

We will be cruising the mid-week Volendam sailing 6/15/11.

I would look into bidding for a room closer to sailing if there were only two of us traveling.

After reading reviews and searching I have changed our reservation to the Landis Hotel on Hornby Street. We have 5 in our group and they have two bedroom suites for about the same price as the Best Western. They also have laundry facilities which we will need after our cross country trip on Amtrak.

Yes the Landis would be a better choice for a large group as there rooms are actually suites and most are privately owned and part of a rental pool - you will share some facilities - pool and parking for a couple - with the Cascadia Hotel next door - I can also see those hotels from my balcony so if you need any info on the area don`t hestitate to post.

Cheers!

Dennis

Hello all,

I seemed to have found a good rate at the Best Western but may also check out the other hotel you were discussing. I was trying to search the boards here to see if anyone else has comments on these hotels. Seems like the pre/post cruise board is no longer active?

Yes the Landis would be a better choice for a large group as there rooms are actually suites and most are privately owned and part of a rental pool - you will share some facilities - pool and parking for a couple - with the Cascadia Hotel next door - I can also see those hotels from my balcony so if you need any info on the area don`t hestitate to post.

Cheers!

Dennis

Thank you!

I am an extreme over planner, the trip is 5 months away and I have most of the details worked out:)

Here is the plan for the Vancouver portion, please let me know if you have any suggestion for changes, etc.

Arriving in Vancouver on Amtrak on June 14th around noon I think (day before the cruise). I think we will have to take two taxis to the hotel since there are 5 of us (we will be bringing a car seat for the 3 1/2 year old). Wouldn't mind taking public transportation to save $, just don't know if I want the stress of trying to figure out the route, etc.

Planning to go to Stanley park in the afternoon/evening using the hotel shuttle or public bus.

Dinner will be something kid friendly.

We would like to go to China town. Is it safe? and kid friendly? Better to go in the daytime?

June 15 - Cruise day...Not sure if we want to try "seeing" something in the morning or just head for the ship. I think the hotel has a shuttle. We could drop our luggage at the pier and still have time to do something....

Thank you!

I am an extreme over planner, the trip is 5 months away and I have most of the details worked out:)

Here is the plan for the Vancouver portion, please let me know if you have any suggestion for changes, etc.

Arriving in Vancouver on Amtrak on June 14th around noon I think (day before the cruise). I think we will have to take two taxis to the hotel since there are 5 of us (we will be bringing a car seat for the 3 1/2 year old). Wouldn't mind taking public transportation to save $, just don't know if I want the stress of trying to figure out the route, etc.

Planning to go to Stanley park in the afternoon/evening using the hotel shuttle or public bus.

Dinner will be something kid friendly.

We would like to go to China town. Is it safe? and kid friendly? Better to go in the daytime?

June 15 - Cruise day...Not sure if we want to try "seeing" something in the morning or just head for the ship. I think the hotel has a shuttle. We could drop our luggage at the pier and still have time to do something....

We are 8 months out and I am doing the same thing! I like to plan and be mega organized!

China town by day only - The Dr Sun Yat Sen Gardens are worth the visit but there isn`t a lot there for the young ones.

Next door to Chinatown is Gastown - the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant is a great place for kids - if you decide to go there - try and get a seat in the old rail car - that tram actually ran in Vancouver up until the mid fifties - I am old enough to remember them - the Steam Clock is another neat little attraction.

I am sure that some of the other locals will be along for more free advice.

I too am an overplanner so I have a pretty good idea of what you are going through,

Cheers

Dennis

Putterdude is right - you'll never find the words "free parking" and "downtown Vancouver" in the same sentence :rolleyes: . However, here is another very convenient option if you're interested. www.cruisepark.com

Archived