Charities sponsored by crew members

Blue Lagoon

We just came off Quest last week (Athens to Dubai) and had a super time.

An auction was held to win the navigational chart that was signed by the officers. Proceeds were given to an orphanage in Phuket that the crew was sponsoring and was on the next itinerary.

When I asked for further information at Guest Relations, I was told that it was something new and in the future the passengers might have more opportunities to be involved. Since the next day, was our stop in Dubai, I asked if there was anyway that items such as soccer balls could make their way to the orphanage. The very helpful staff assured me that my gifts would arrive at their destination. It was our pleasure to participate in a worthwhile cause and a big thank you to Guest Relations for being so helpful.

What a wonderful idea!

Blue Lagoon, I'm sure that the soccer balls were really appreciated.

I hope that Azamara continues this great idea on all their cruises and, if so, it would be nice to know about it beforehand.

On an ship's excursion in Tonga we were brought to a local school - a humbling experience to see how these children were being educated with minimal resources. Apart from a financial contribution (neither requested nor expected), had we known, we would have brought school supplies.

4779186697_04f6498251.jpg

Statistically, Tonga is the Nation with the most PhD per capita – kudos – they must be doing something right!

While giving to charities is something that I consider important, it is something which I want to do privately.

I don't mind the idea of an auction onboard where people who wish to participate can do so, but I don't want to contribute "automatically" or in any way to a cruiseline-sponsored charity.

Please read the following thread in Silversea, and then come back and discuss this. I want to be certain that Azamara is not even considering doing something remotely like Silversea before I book my first Azamara cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1224877

It's not unusual for cruise lines to support charities or to provide assistance & supplies in areas where their ships visit. I'm aware of several such programs. Some operate exclusively with cruise line resources, while others seek passenger (voluntary) participation. Kudos to Azamara for getting involved in worthwhile causes.

I believe that the "forced" donation program at Silversea is somewhat unique & has drawn considerable passenger dissatisfaction. It's my understanding that passengers are now able to opt-out of this program rather than have the auto charge to their on-board accounts. I don't get the sense that Azamara would run their program in the Silversea manner.

I don't mind the idea of an auction onboard where people who wish to participate can do so, but I don't want to contribute "automatically" or in any way to a cruiseline-sponsored charity.

Hello Gillianrose

I also agree that charity donations should be voluntary (no matter how small or large the amount). However, as far as I understood in Blue Lagoon's post there was no obligation on Azamara. Paul Gauguin cruises also "auctions" the navigational map (for the crew welfare fund) but no one is obliged to participate.

B&T

Hello Gillianrose

I also agree that charity donations should be voluntary (no matter how small or large the amount). However, as far as I understood in Blue Lagoon's post there was no obligation on Azamara. Paul Gauguin cruises also "auctions" the navigational map (for the crew welfare fund) but no one is obliged to participate.

B&T

My goal in posting is to "snap it in the bud," so that Azamara does not head in the direction of Silversea or anything even remotely similar.

It's not unusual for cruise lines to support charities or to provide assistance & supplies in areas where their ships visit. I'm aware of several such programs. Some operate exclusively with cruise line resources, while others seek passenger (voluntary) participation. Kudos to Azamara for getting involved in worthwhile causes.

I believe that the "forced" donation program at Silversea is somewhat unique & has drawn considerable passenger dissatisfaction. It's my understanding that passengers are now able to opt-out of this program rather than have the auto charge to their on-board accounts. I don't get the sense that Azamara would run their program in the Silversea manner.

I detest any program or policy on land on sea where customers must "opt out."

If I choose, I will "opt in."

Hello Gillianrose

B&T

There was absolutely no obligation to participate. It just so happened that the ship was on its way to Phuket within the following couple of weeks and everything fell into place.

Now, seeing other peoples' reactions on how the Silversea company includes passengers with their charity involvement, I can understand how this could get tricky.

There was absolutely no obligation to participate. It just so happened that the ship was on its way to Phuket within the following couple of weeks and everything fell into place.

Yes, I understood that in the case stated there was no obligation to participate. I posted to get attention on the subject now before the company gets any idea to go down the path Silversea chose (or anything remotely similar).

Now, seeing other peoples' reactions on how the Silversea company includes passengers with their charity involvement, I can understand how this could get tricky.

Yes, very tricky. I am also concerned that the cruise line might share my name and address with other companies, including charities. That is not OK.

Yes, I understood that in the case stated there was no obligation to participate. I posted to get attention on the subject now before the company gets any idea to go down the path Silversea chose (or anything remotely similar).

Yes, very tricky. I am also concerned that the cruise line might share my name and address with other companies, including charities. That is not OK.

Hello Azamara Followers,

To borrow a phrase from ‘gillianrose’ my mission as CBO is to "snap… in the bud" any cyberspace inferences that might be perceived as facts. I assure you that ACC does not have its “favorite” charity to which all guests are automatically required to participate or to opt out, nor do we share your name with other charities.

As ‘MightyQuinn’ accurately states, “it's not unusual for cruise lines to support charities or to provide assistance & supplies in areas where their ships visit. … Some operate exclusively with cruise line resources, while others seek passenger (voluntary) participation.” In fact, the proceeds from the crew sponsored auction for the navigational chart signed by the officers were donated to an orphanage in Phuket that the crew had adopted. Participation in the activity was strictly voluntary and no one was required to participate. Only those who wished an opportunity to “own” an autographed navigational chart had the option to attend.

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns and we believe that charitable giving is a personal decision.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Archived