LA for 32hrs between flights-where to stay?

combine

Hi. We are arriving at LAX at 3pm on 10th March 2011 from London. Our next flight from LAX is on the evening of 11 March 2011 at 11pm to Tahiti to join a Princess cruise on 13th. I am looking for suggestions as to how far we could/should go for that one nights stay.

Originally our next day flight was at 1pm and we had planned on staying at an airport hotel overnight, but its been changed and as we now have a little extra time- is it worth travelling to Long Beach or Santa Monica or are we just spending too much time going back and forth and adding extra cost of transport? After sleeping off jet lag we really dont think we have much more time to do anything but is hanging around an airport hotel a good idea?. We have no reason to visit any sights inland at LA as have stayed there previously and its not on our agenda this time.

Any input would be great. Thankyou

I'd use Hotwire and book a decent airport hotel. You might call a hotel concierge but there has always been a shuttle to Manhattan beach that runs along Imperial Blvd which takes you to some of the oceanside cities so its easy to get there from the airport. I've also taken the rapid transit train from the airport into Hollywood if that is any interest to you. Just an idea.

Hi there,

I say find out what you & your party would like to do with this opportunity to visit us in the Los Angeles area.

We've got several touring companies that pick up at the hotels and take you around to the major L.A. attractions. What are your interests? We probably have it somewhere in all of this megatroplas. Let us know so we can get you the information you have requested.

Winnie

If you are truly not wanting to see anything (as your post makes it sound), there is no reason to stay somewhere besides the airport where you will have free transportation to and from the airport. If you stay at something like the Embassy Suites, you will have free full breakfast and there is a restaurant on site for your other meals. If you feel up to it you could take the free shuttle to the airport and have a nice meal at Encounter at LAX, http://www.encounterlax.com.

Jen in SoCal

Hi. We are arriving at LAX at 3pm on 10th March 2011 from London. Our next flight from LAX is on the evening of 11 March 2011 at 11pm to Tahiti to join a Princess cruise on 13th. I am looking for suggestions as to how far we could/should go for that one nights stay.

Originally our next day flight was at 1pm and we had planned on staying at an airport hotel overnight, but its been changed and as we now have a little extra time- is it worth travelling to Long Beach or Santa Monica or are we just spending too much time going back and forth and adding extra cost of transport? After sleeping off jet lag we really dont think we have much more time to do anything but is hanging around an airport hotel a good idea?. We have no reason to visit any sights inland at LA as have stayed there previously and its not on our agenda this time.

Any input would be great. Thankyou

I would never stay right at LAX unless I was planning to never leave the hotel or had a very early morning flight...

Your problem is that you might be a bit jet-lagged and likely don't want a busy night and a full day of hectic touring...

But, you will have time for a nice dinner that first day and a decent meal the second--though not straying far for that one as you will want to get to the airport by around 9:00 pm...

I like Santa Monica, but it also requires you to coordinate a bunch of shuttles or taxis to go LAX to hotel and hotel back to LAX...

Considering that you likely have no intent on doing any major touring but might want nearby amenities and easy transportation fromand to LAX, this would be my recommendation:

http://www.radisson.com/culver-city-hotel-ca-90230-6306/caculver

This hotel is actually about three miles north of LAX...but it has free shuttles back and forth to the airport and it is a quick easy drive via Sepulveda Blvd.

But, rather than being stuck in the largely industrial LAX/Century Blvd. area, this one has a number of amenities very nearby--even in walking distance...

Right across the streets is one of my favorite eateries...

http://www.dinahsrestaurant.com/

This is somewhat of a local institution...it's been there forever...all the ambiance of a 1950s diner (basically, none)...but cheap, good food in large servings...I always get the "Complete Fried Chicken Dinner"...

There is a shopping complex a little ways down from that:

http://hhpromenade.com/

...with more restaurants and an upscale multi-screen cinema...

Just across the 405 freeway is the recently remodeled Westfield Mall:

http://westfield.com/culvercity/

...with even more restaurants, department stores and more...

If you do get the itch to go out and explore from here, Venice Beach and Marina Del Rey are a short cab ride away...Sony Studios, in Downtown Culver City, offers tours...

http://www.sonypicturesstudiostours.com/

And, if you want to save on taxis, Culver City even has a decent little public bus line...

And the hotel has that shuttle...and they may even shuttle you locally (I'd ask)...

This would give you some options...You could relax at the hotel...which does have a pool, jacuzzi and fitness center...and just wander out for restaurants...or you could spend some time at the mall or movies...or you could use it as a nice central base for a little touring--depending on how you feel...

They would probably be willing to hold your luggage for you after checkout, then shuttle you to LAX for your flight out...

That would be my choice...

Good luck...

Thank you everyone for your ideas. If we had our original flight then I would certainly stay at an airport hotel but with a good half day extra this made me think about staying out of the airport area.

We would more than likely just have a wander around local area,shopping, stretch our legs and get some fresh air before yet another long flight and perhaps LAX hotels are not the area to do this. Presume this Radisson Culver City is ok to wander? It seems like we could fill the day with things to do from this area. Santa Monica was a preferred choice but as Steve so rightly says we are going to be spending alot of time in shuttles and taxis and I suspect not getting much done at all. I have no idea of time scales and mileage from LAX to the coast but knew you would be able to point me in the right direction!

Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for your ideas. If we had our original flight then I would certainly stay at an airport hotel but with a good half day extra this made me think about staying out of the airport area.

We would more than likely just have a wander around local area,shopping, stretch our legs and get some fresh air before yet another long flight and perhaps LAX hotels are not the area to do this. Presume this Radisson Culver City is ok to wander? It seems like we could fill the day with things to do from this area. Santa Monica was a preferred choice but as Steve so rightly says we are going to be spending alot of time in shuttles and taxis and I suspect not getting much done at all. I have no idea of time scales and mileage from LAX to the coast but knew you would be able to point me in the right direction!

Thanks again.

LAX is actually right at the coast...but, the coast behind LAX is pretty empty--a state beach with some picnic facilities, but no hotels or other commercial buildings...they cleared this area out when they built the airport...

So, to be "on the coast" near LAX, most people will go either north--to Marina Del Rey, Venice or Santa Monica...or south to Manhattan Beach...The distances aren't really that long...about 10 miles to Santa Monica, closer to the others...

Santa Monica really is the nicest place to stay, IMHO, but it is also the costliest...plus you'll be paying for more in shuttles or taxis plus the logistics...It is, of course, more "touristy" than some of the other areas...and very pedestrian-friendly...

Culver City is inland a bit and is more suburban/semi-urban...but it is far less expensive to stay there and has the added convenience of being close to LAX without being right next to LAX...There are no beaches...but, with a full day, you could, if you were based here, take a short cab ride over to Venice Beach or Marina Del Rey and walk around over there if you'd like...

The shopping and restaurants in this part of Culver City are nothing extraordinary...mostly a lot of chain eateries...and typical suburban American shopping mall stuff...but, for just killing time, it's pleasant enough...much better than LAX/Century Blvd. And the hotel is fare less expensive than a similar quallity hotel in the Santa Monica area...

The area is plenty fine to wander around...just be wary of fast traffic along Sepulveda Blvd.

Thank you Steve.

I realise some folk will say I am wasting an opportunity not to see more of LA. But I really dont want to stray too far so that we can get back to the airport in good time and I also dont want to spend the day sitting in a hotel room! This scenario is not of my choice but I am hoping to make the best of the hours we have and with your help we are sure getting there! I have just read some reviews of the hotel. A pretty mixed bag but on the whole a decently priced hotel for what we require without spending too much time or money travelling. Cab ride over to Venice Beach sounds good.

Thanks again.

Thank you Steve.

I realise some folk will say I am wasting an opportunity not to see more of LA. But I really dont want to stray too far so that we can get back to the airport in good time and I also dont want to spend the day sitting in a hotel room! This scenario is not of my choice but I am hoping to make the best of the hours we have and with your help we are sure getting there! I have just read some reviews of the hotel. A pretty mixed bag but on the whole a decently priced hotel for what we require without spending too much time or money travelling. Cab ride over to Venice Beach sounds good.

Thanks again.

Oh...just one more note...

If you take a taxi in LA, make sure you have the phone number for the taxi company with you...You may have to call back to have someone come pick you up when you're done...taxis don't just roam the streets here like they do in some cities...

Thanks again.

If you do choose to stay near the airport on Century Blvd, there is a shuttle called Ocean Express that runs regularly from the LAX area hotels to Manhattan Beach.

http://www.gatewaytola.org/index.cfm/programs/ocean-express/

It's about a half hour ride according to the shuttle schedule. You can ride it too even if you don't stay at these hotels. You might consider doing that on Sunday. See if you can check your bags in early with the airline. Then take a free/courtesy shuttle from the airport back to one of the hotels on the Ocean Express route. I've never ridden the Ocean Express myself, but have friends who use it who are actually locals. I also see the trolleys regularly at the mall and at the beach. The Ocean Express stops running at 9p in March so you just have to plan ahead.

Once you wake up from your nap or even if you are waiting for your flight the next day, you can take the shuttle all the way to the beach and get your "fresh air". You can walk along "The Strand," the rows of beach front houses with million dollar views. If you want to get physical, you can rent bikes and cruise along the legendary bike trail. (No cars and separate from pedestrian at lengths.) There are bike rentals here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/funbunns-manhattan-beach

There are many trendy/hip restaraunts, bars, and boutiques on Manhattan Beach Blvd. Great for strolling and passing time. All concentrated in the 5-6 blocks up a very steep hill from the beach. It's a relatively youthful scene, but plenty of families and "mature" patrons too. :p

Your 3 PM arrival means you're on the street with bags sometime around 4 - 4:30 PM (best case) and in some hotel around 5. That's 1 AM in the UK, and you might not feel much like exploring nearby restaurants or shopping malls.

I grew up in Manhattan Beach and travel through LAX often, including the odd transpacific flight leaving at night. In my view the shuttle to MB the next day is just the ticket. Get an airport hotel somewhere along the Century Blvd. strip (most are fine, and excellent deals can be had using Priceline for 4-star places) and eat a light meal the night you arrive. The next day, leave your bags at the front desk and take the trolley to the beach. Walk along the Strand (pedestrian path at the beach's edge) and out the MB pier to watch the surfers. Have a meal or two - there are numerous good cafes, coffee places, and pubs along Manhattan Beach Blvd. and Manhattan Avenue. Load up on oxygen, maybe do a little shopping (lots of cool shops) and try to tire yourselves out.

Around the time it gets dark (around 6 PM) go back to the hotel and collect your bags, then take the hotel shuttle to the airport and check in. You'll be departing from the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) at which there are numerous places to hang out until it's time to fly. Your UK internal clocks ought to be well and truly confused by now, but hopefully you'll get some sleep on the flight to Tahiti. It's cool to watch the sun set over the Pacific at Manhattan Beach, knowing that you're going to watch it rise over the Pacific a few hours later.

Thank you for all suggestions. Plenty to think about. Somehow I had the idea that it would be a long drive to some of the nicer beach areas and imagined sitting in traffic for hours-eating in to our day time- although I'm sure that it can happen at times!. Will speak to other half but at least I now know we have options. Thanks again.

Thank you for all suggestions. Plenty to think about. Somehow I had the idea that it would be a long drive to some of the nicer beach areas and imagined sitting in traffic for hours-eating in to our day time- although I'm sure that it can happen at times!. Will speak to other half but at least I now know we have options. Thanks again.

You'll see way more locals at Manhattan Beach living the quintessential California lifestyle - sun/surf/bike/rollerblade/volleyball etc. I ride my bike on that trail as often I as I can. I personally prefer it over the more touristy beaches of Santa Monica and Venice. BTW - We have family that moved to near Brighton recently. I had no idea it was so "weird"! I guess that's your version of Venice, eh?

There shouldn't be any major traffic going to MB unless there was some horrific accident. It's all along local thoroughfare.

Archived