What's up with Gem after 4/2012

bean24

Not all of the itineraries for the summer of 2012 have been released as yet. I believe we are still waiting for the Caribbean itineraries. When NCL has all of the i's dotted and t's crossed, they will release them, hopefully soon... As you noticed, the Star is replacing the Gem for the New York Bermuda itinerary...

Wonder why all the shuffling around? I wish they'd kept the Dawn in New York, where I believe she belongs due to her hull art and more important her historic role in reintroducing all-year-round cruising back to New York.

I also like her Spinnaker location better than that on the Star, although to be fair, the scenery on the Canada cruise warrants it a lot more than the Bermuda cruise.

Wonder why all the shuffling around? I wish they'd kept the Dawn in New York, where I believe she belongs due to her hull art and more important her historic role in reintroducing all-year-round cruising back to New York.

I also like her Spinnaker location better than that on the Star, although to be fair, the scenery on the Canada cruise warrants it a lot more than the Bermuda cruise.

Cruise lines move ships to where they will generate the most revenues. Older ships usually end up on the shorter distance itineraries, and smaller ships on lesser booked itineraries... For example, the smaller Sun was moved to the Baltic because NCL couldn't sell out a Jewel class ship without heavy discounting. The Star and Dawn were moved to Bermuda because NCL could sell more cabins, the Spirit being too small. The Spirit is moving to Venice to expand in the eastern Med...

Notice how NCL has grown the Boston-Bermuda business by increasing the size of ships from the Majesty, to the Dream, to the Spirit, and to the Dawn... Start an itinerary with a smaller ship, and grow that itinerary into a larger ship...

Maybe I'm just a bit ADHD but I like the ship switch out. That got us to trying different lines besides Carnival. Not that there is a thing wrong with Carnival it just got to be same ship, same itinerary. We tried the Dawn in 2005 and enjoyed it, the Spirit in 2006 and enjoyed it, Crown Princess in 2007 and enjoyed it, back to Carnival on Miracle in 2008 - you get the gist.

We loved the Jewel in September, I've got my fingers crossed that some things work out and we can do that Caribbean sailing in May. If the Gem is going bye bye in 2012 I'll have to schedule that one too!!!:rolleyes: Nice excuse isn't it? With so many of us not wanting to fly it does give a lot of variety. It does, however, make it difficult if one of the ships happens to be your favorite.

Archived