Need Suggestion: First time Caribbean

harishhere

Hi,

I'm planning for cruise in January end in 2011. It would be just me and my wife (both 30 yrs). We like adventures (not extreme) and would love forests and beaches. Would like to spend more time on ports. What part of caribbean would you suggest ? After researching thought of following 3 options:

1. Carnival Freedom - From Miami 6 days Western Caribbean

Not sure how good the ports are ?

2. Carnival Valor - From FLL, 7 days Western Caribbean

From some reviews, looks like Cozumel and Grand Cayman are good.

3. Carnival Victory - From SJU, 7 days Southern Caribbean

From reviews I understand that southern caribbean ports are better. But this has an hassle of flying from PR, which can be expensive as compared to flying to FLL or Miami (from NJ)

Just to add, We are vegetarian and like to spend time in pool.

Please share your experiences

Hi,

I'm planning for cruise in January end in 2011. It would be just me and my wife (both 30 yrs). We like adventures (not extreme) and would love forests and beaches. Would like to spend more time on ports. What part of caribbean would you suggest ? After researching thought of following 3 options:

1. Carnival Freedom - From Miami 6 days Western Caribbean

Not sure how good the ports are ?

2. Carnival Valor - From FLL, 7 days Western Caribbean

From some reviews, looks like Cozumel and Grand Cayman are good.

3. Carnival Victory - From SJU, 7 days Southern Caribbean

From reviews I understand that southern caribbean ports are better. But this has an hassle of flying from PR, which can be expensive as compared to flying to FLL or Miami (from NJ)

Just to add, We are vegetarian and like to spend time in pool.

Please share your experiences

We have twice done the southern caribbean out of San Juan, both times it has been a port every day with Carnival. Once on the Victory and once on the Holiday. We are booked again on the Victory, but they dropped Dominca so we have one sea day.

We love the Southern Caribbean. It is less commercial, and more lush than other parts. You can find more authentic people. I have no desire to go back to the Bahamas and Northern Caribbean, most cruises stop in St Thomas though. But on the other hand, anywhere in the Caribbean is better than being at work and in the snow! :)

It can be more expensive to fly to San Juan, if you are flexable to come a day early and leave a day late or so, you can get cheaper rates. They tend to have cheaper rates that fly out of SJ early in the morning, because they know cruise people have to fly our later in the day, so by staying overnight you can get those cheaper flights and use the $$ you saved to have an extra day of vacation. Go to the rainforest in San Juan or BioBay Kyacking.

But to balance the more expensive flights, the cruise itself can be cheaper, esp if you are flexable about which week you cruise.

We also love to find a local store to buy and bring back spices and a few treats you can't get here, they are so fresh and the curries are wonderful! Of course you can't bring back any fresh food to the ship and we don't open any packages until we get home. I filled an entire grocery bag of spices and curries on Antigua and only spent about 25$.

Hi,

I'm planning for cruise in January end in 2011. It would be just me...like adventures (...extreme)...vegetarian and like to spend time in pool preferably at the same time.

and would love forests and beaches. Would like to spend more time on ports. What part of caribbean would you suggest ?

Just to add, We are

I've edited your post to make you look strange.

Your southern trip would be more port-intensive and involve more natural scenery. Any of the 3 trips would have beaches. I would far prefer the 3rd route over the other two, but you are correct that Cozumel and Cayman are popular and well-liked stops.

I've done Easter, Western and Southern cruises. I much preferred the Southern Caribbean cruise.

It was 10 days round trip out of FLL. We stopped at Aruba, Bonnaire, Curasau (sp); the ABC islands, and then we hit Greneda and Dominica, then Princess Cay.

I was very pleased with most of the islands, the exception was Aruba. :p Only because I'd been there several times, and I really didn't care to stop there again; so I simply stayed onboard the ship. As this is your first time there you'd probably enjoy Aruba. A lot of it deals with the tour guide you get, but this is true no matter where you go.

Definately love the Southern Caribbean on Carnival's Victory. We went to the Eastern twice on Holland America, and they do treat you like royalty. But the crowd tended to be older and a little quieter and we were ready for Fun! The islands of the south are so beautiful and there is so much to do on the ship and off. Try Carnival...you'll love it!!

Thanks everyone .. Well, heck with some extra bucks, Southern Caribbean it is !! :)

Next thing, Caribbean Princess Vs Carnival Victory ? I think from the ship's perspective there are lot of info on other forums but considering ports which one is better.

Archived