booking my first balcony

hlb76

Hello all! I am hoping I can get yet another nugget of info from you. I think we have finally decided to rebook our cancelled Splendor cruise to a 5 day Spirit. We will spend the extra vacation days in San Diego visiting family. So still a win/win in my eyes.

Since we paid 7 day price and now doing a 5 day cruise we are thinking of treating ourselves to a balcony. We will still have a nice chunk of OBC afterwards. Again WIN/WIN.

I have never booked a balcony and normally do insides any tips for which cabin to pick? I know there are not to many left so we wont get a prime cabin.

Thanks in advance.

Many of the same rules apply to booking any cabin - if you are a light sleeper, book with cabins above and below if possible, for example.

There are a few extremely long extended balconies on the Spirit class ships, usually they are snapped up right away, but you might luck out. Take a moment to look closely at the deck plans an you will see these cabins near the aft part of the ship, but not all the way back. Most likely they are already taken, but you might try and see - how about a 30 foot long balcony (7258 & 7260 for example)! Some of these are handicapped cabins, so you may be bumped.

Hi,

It would probably help to know which balconies are left on the ship? We are also Splendor refugees and have rebooked with the Spirit but we are doing the 9 day sailing.

We have been on the Spirit before and we like deck 6 with cabins above and below us. Deck 5 is OK too.

I am not sure of your itinerary but we also tried to be on the starboard(right side) of the ship so that when it turns back for San Diego we are facing land.

I agree with all the past posts, once you go Balcony, you will never go back!

We personally loved our Aft Balcony. It is deeper and the view of the wake is very relaxing. I also loved the extremely quiet location of the cabin.

Yes, it is a long walk, but frankly after eating all that food, the extra exercise was needed. Plus, I think alot of Carnival ships have aft stairways and elevators. It was very convenient to just run up to the Lido deck.

Now that we've had the aft balcony, that's all my husband wants.

The best advice I can offer is to try and find a cabin that is closest to where you will spend most of your time. For us, on our upcoming cruise, we have a cabin up on the Lido deck, which we are looking forward to, because it is a quick trip and back (for bathroom and liquor fixes) between the pool and the room, and a quick trip to Lido cafe (same deck, just opposite side, where we eat breakfast and lunch. we find that we don;t spend any time on the entertainment or dining decks until evening, so a room at that level works for us. With exception of coves, most balconies are about the same, so pick one that works for you and what you will be doing.

But like someone else said, once you do balcony, you will never do anyhting else, except a bigger balcony. They add so much to a cruise!

Heather, the Spirit Feb 6 sailing is showing some rates for past guests (with free upgrades) and for military, so be sure to check those out - there are even two aft wraps available if you want to really go for it for this cruise!

If you want to go with the lowest balcony category (7A obstructed view) there are some available in the section where the lifeboats are lower and the view better (ie 5230) - remember they don't show all the available cabins, so ask if a particular one is available if there is one you are interested in. Take your time and have the deck plans in front of you.

As for never going back once you have had a balcony, that has not been true for us. We have gone back to oceanview and porthole cabins after having balconies. It just depends on the cost, the ship, and the itinerary.

Thanks!

We hope to book tonight. I also dont think we will be opposed to having a inside again. I am really scared we wont use the balcony enough to make it worth the extra money. We have 2 kids so spend a lot of time w/ them out and about. I just thought since the money is already in CCL hands why not just use it.

We are doing the 5 day sailing to Cabo. Then spending the extra days in San Diego.

I thought that we would not use our balcony enough, but we actually did. It was good for meals outside esoecially if you want to get away from the crowds. We are booked in our 3rd cabin. I teased my DH and asked if he wanted to do OV for this cruise, he said that he would not go if he couldn't have his balcony :eek:. You will enjoy it. I'm looking forward to spending time out there for our upcoming cruise :D. Good luck!!

The poster was correct.....look at the deck plans, and grab one with rooms above and below your deck.

There is nothing like having your coffee in the morning in your robe on the balcony. When I shower, I usually wrap a towel around me and set there and eagle dry off. Of course, we're not in port.

You will LOVE it!

Melanie

I agree! Spoil yourself with a balcony once and you will never go back :) The Spirit is a wonderful ship, we were on deck 8 when we cruised her, had a splendid time and never herd any noise above us. Good luck with your choice, you can't go wrong with a balcony!

I have sailed on the Spirit two times. The first time (last Jan. for an 8 night to MR) there were four of us in cabin 6249 and my cousins and aunt were in 6214. These are 8D. We were very pleased with these cabins in terms of quiet, close to elevators/stairs, mid ship with smooth ride in some very rough waters we hit, no life boat obstruction and easy to get everywhere. We really did not use the balcony much but it was nice to sit out there when we were taking turns getting ready for dinner.

Other cruise on the Spirit (Sept. to AK) I was in a 4K. It is the same floor plan and layout as the 8D except no balcony, just doors that open up for fresh air. I was fine with a 4K. I believe the true inside cabins on the Spirit (not the 4K) are smaller so you will appreciate the extra room if you book a 4K or balcony. One in our group was in an 8K extended balcony, I believe 7175. I did not like the location, it is forward and felt far away whenever I walked there. Also, my cousin did not like looking down and seeing the life boats, she said she preferred the 8D she has (6214). It doesn't really obstruct the view but you see them if you look down. The deeper balcony did not seem like a big benefit to me. Others in our group had 7A's. There is some obstruction from the life boats but if the price is good, of course it is better to have a balcony with some obstruction than no balcony at all!

Jen in SoCal

Hello all! I am hoping I can get yet another nugget of info from you. I think we have finally decided to rebook our cancelled Splendor cruise to a 5 day Spirit. We will spend the extra vacation days in San Diego visiting family. So still a win/win in my eyes.

Since we paid 7 day price and now doing a 5 day cruise we are thinking of treating ourselves to a balcony. We will still have a nice chunk of OBC afterwards. Again WIN/WIN.

I have never booked a balcony and normally do insides any tips for which cabin to pick? I know there are not to many left so we wont get a prime cabin.

Thanks in advance.

I have sailed on the Spirit two times. The first time (last Jan. for an 8 night to MR) there were four of us in cabin 6249 and my cousins and aunt were in 6214. These are 8D. We were very pleased with these cabins in terms of quiet, close to elevators/stairs, mid ship with smooth ride in some very rough waters we hit, no life boat obstruction and easy to get everywhere. We really did not use the balcony much but it was nice to sit out there when we were taking turns getting ready for dinner.

Other cruise on the Spirit (Sept. to AK) I was in a 4K. It is the same floor plan and layout as the 8D except no balcony, just doors that open up for fresh air. I was fine with a 4K. I believe the true inside cabins on the Spirit (not the 4K) are smaller so you will appreciate the extra room if you book a 4K or balcony. One in our group was in an 8K extended balcony, I believe 7175. I did not like the location, it is forward and felt far away whenever I walked there. Also, my cousin did not like looking down and seeing the life boats, she said she preferred the 8D she has (6214). It doesn't really obstruct the view but you see them if you look down. The deeper balcony did not seem like a big benefit to me. Others in our group had 7A's. There is some obstruction from the life boats but if the price is good, of course it is better to have a balcony with some obstruction than no balcony at all!

Jen in SoCal

Looks like both 6214 and 6249 are still availible maybe I will have to choose one of those. I just wish I booked a few days ago. Prices have gone up about $100 so that cuts into my OBC :o

Great! Have fun. The Spirit is a great ship with an amazing staff and I am sure you will love it. One tip, ask if Asadee is working in the MDR. She is the best, very funny and your kids will get a kick out of her.

Jen in SoCal

We booked! Thanks for the help on the cabin selection!!

DON'T DO IT!!!! If you do, who ever you are going with will only expect a balcony or something better from now on, costing you thousands of dollars in the future.

Honestly, I cannot even understand why anyone would EVER book an inside cabin, unless they are cruising to catch up on their sleep and want a cabin that will be totally black when they turn out the lights.

Archived