Changes on Carnival in Jan?

sixflags89

I was just reading a member's review and they stated that beginining in January Canrival room stewards will only be servicing the cabin once a day in the morning. (no more evening service) Also they will begin to charge for steak and lobster in the main dinining rooms. Can anyone confirm these changes or are they just rumors?

If you are going to quote someone on rumors .. Id also post a link to their review ..

On ships that do not have a pay restaurant, there are now some ships that have a $18 upcharge. This is true .. I had it on the Triumph I got off of yesterday. Maine lobster and a better cut of steak for $18, about 4 choices for the same price.

The free stuff on the menu as before . it hasnt changed, just the 4 options at the bottom of the entree side of the menu.

The other Im 99.9% there must be a misunderstanding.. about the stewards only cleaning once a day.

If you are going to quote someone on rumors .. Id also post a link to their review ..

On ships that do not have a pay restaurant, there are now some ships that have a $18 upcharge. This is true .. I had it on the Triumph I got off of yesterday. Maine lobster and a better cut of steak for $18, about 4 choices for the same price.

The free stuff on the menu as before . it hasnt changed, just the 4 options at the bottom of the entree side of the menu.

The other Im 99.9% there must be a misunderstanding.. about the stewards only cleaning once a day.

CCL is really taking cost cutting measures to the limit.....To have to "pay" in the regular dining venue for a better choice of meat or Maine lobster is really pushing the limits and is going to turn more and more people off with all their cost cutting measures and revenue increase practices.....whats next ??? Everything Ala carte ???

But wait... we still will offer some of the "Lowest :::Cruisefares:::" around !

CCL is really taking cost cutting measures to the limit.....To have to "pay" in the regular dining venue for a better choice of meat or Maine lobster is really pushing the limits and is going to turn more and more people off with all their cost cutting measures and revenue increase practices.....whats next ??? Everything Ala carte ??? But wait... we still will offer some of the "Lowest Cruisefares" around !

If it were a really big maine lobster .. I might consider paying the $18 because I love lobster and that little 4 bite "tail" isnt maine lobster they give you for free .. but I personally wouldnt pay for steak, Im not a beef person.

I dont mind having extra choices

Only my third time writing here on this forum butI am fascinated where people get their inside I formation from? How does one cruiser know that they will charge for steak now. If this is true then I shan't book a cruise. Any advice

Carnival still serves their regular menu (with free steak).

On ships that do not have the steakhouse, they are offering the ability to order select items from the normal steakhouse menu in the main dining room for an upcharge.

Book your cruise and enjoy your steak included in your cruise fare.

And if they did this would the room stewards just go home in the afternoons? Or perhaps trot up to the galley to make dinner for everyone?

Makes no sense at all.

In which case they'd have to at least lower the auto tips for the stewards because I can foresee at least some people making a decent argument that the tips should decrease if the service decreases. (FWIW, I still think they're mightily low to begin with, BUT I see this argument arising).

CCL is really taking cost cutting measures to the limit.....To have to "pay" in the regular dining venue for a better choice of meat or Maine lobster is really pushing the limits and is going to turn more and more people off with all their cost cutting measures and revenue increase practices.....whats next ??? Everything Ala carte ???

My understanding is that they are doing this only on ships that do not have a specialty restaurant.......so as to give those folks the option of the specialty treatment since the restaurant isn't available. On ships with a specialty restaurant, they do not upsell in the MDR.

Why would pay extra for a better cut of cow and a bigger lobster tail. Just have your waiter bring you 2 or 3 or 4 dinners!

The steak is already a select cut of cow. We tried the Steak house on the Freedom and the cut of cow was bigger but I highly doubt that it was a prime cut of beef. I sent it back and got the lamb instead...Now that was a lot better than what you get in the MDR.

Only my third time writing here on this forum butI am fascinated where people get their inside I formation from? How does one cruiser know that they will charge for steak now. If this is true then I shan't book a cruise. Any advice

Alan... remember what we told you on your other thread about this site? You simply cannot believe everything you read here. A good part of it is unsubstantiated, speculation, opinion, etc. That's what a message board is. Now about the extra "steak" charges... as others have said, this is just another CHOICE. This is something they have added to some ships, where you can choose to pay extra for a few different meals, kind of between paying for the steakhouse and the regular main dining room fare. I've found the regular dining room food to be perfect for me, so I'm not sure I'll try this new option, but I might, or someone in my group might. But that's all it is... another OPTION.

I think you must be looking for a excuse to get out of trying a cruise.

I posted above .. they are already doing this ....I got off the cruise on Monday .. its just a few items. Again .. its only on ships that dont have pay dinner restaurants.

If you are happy with a rock lobster, 4 bites type of tail with 4 shrimp to make it more of a meal .. its still free.

MAINE lobster .. if you want it, you can pay for it...

Nothing has changed .. this is NOT new.

I think you must be looking for a excuse to get out of trying a cruise.

I posted above .. they are already doing this ....I got off the cruise on Monday .. its just a few items. Again .. its only on ships that dont have pay dinner restaurants.

If you are happy with a rock lobster, 4 bites type of tail with 4 shrimp to make it more of a meal .. its still free.

MAINE lobster .. if you want it, you can pay for it...

Nothing has changed .. this is NOT new.

I have to say - I have had a MAINE lobster tail off the regular menu on a ship or two - and it was one of the most delicious pieces of lobster I have ever had. I have also had the warm water lobster, which I do not even consider lobster, on cruise ships. When I had the Maine lobster, the menu specifically said Maine lobster tail.

On ships that do not have the steakhouse, they are offering the ability to order select items from the normal steakhouse menu in the main dining room for an upcharge.

This was not true on the Ecstasy over Thanksgiving week. There were no offerings on the menu for an extra charge.

Meh. They're offering something that isn't currently available on older ships. The regular MDR menu items aren't changing, they're just adding an option for a prime steak or a better lobster on ships where those items have never been available..

I was just reading a member's review and they stated that beginining in January Canrival room stewards will only be servicing the cabin once a day in the morning. (no more evening service) Also they will begin to charge for steak and lobster in the main dinining rooms. Can anyone confirm these changes or are they just rumors?

Yes, it is only a rumor.

(still FREE lobster and prime rib on Elegant Night as always)

There is an additional OPTION on casual night for lobster if you want to pay $18 on any ship without a Steak House.

Please post the link so that whoever wrote that "review" can be corrected.

Meh. They're offering something that isn't currently available on older ships. The regular MDR menu items aren't changing, they're just adding an option for a prime steak or a better lobster on ships where those items have never been available..

Yes, but "Adding" those items as a "PROFIT" to their bottom line.....that is the whole mission by CCL on this move. "Advertise it" and you may get some folks who will take the "Option". Point being that "options" were limited in previous years...but now becoming "obsessive" !

Stick with CCL if you like, but for me, they are losing my business as well as recomendations for others to travel onboard their ships !

A publicly held corporation seeking PROFIT?!?!? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!! ;)

How are you harmed by them offering the option for the steak or lobster upsell?

Not only will I stay with Carnival, I'll probably (GASP!) purchase one of the prime steaks in the MDR from time to time when sailing on ships where it's offered. Good luck finding a line without extra-charge specialty dining options. I suspect you'll have to look really far upmarket to find one.

Archived