Is Coki Beach safe?

MindTheGap1918

I've read a lot of posts on CC and Trip Advisor about Coki being unsafe and that tourists are harassed to buy drugs, etc. I know a cruise passenger was killed there this past summer and I was wondering if police patrols/ security were beefed up in the area because of that incident? Does anyone have any recent good/bad experiences there? I need a back up plan in case we decide to forego a trip to St. John on our day in port.

Search this forum for the answer to your question. Its been answered hundreds of times in the last 2 months. People like you chime in every 2-3 weeks in what seems as an attempt to stir up the hornets nest here and create controversy.

Use the search feature of this website

Search this forum for the answer to your question. Its been answered hundreds of times in the last 2 months. People like you chime in every 2-3 weeks in what seems as an attempt to stir up the hornets nest here and create controversy.

That was completely unnecessary - I doubt the OP came in wanting to stir up the hornets nest.

DirtyNanners,

Great video! I'm not a fan of Coki but this video points out why people flock there. It's beautiful and has great snorkeling. It also shows why I don't like it. Way too crowded.

MindTheGap1918,

It's as safe as most other beaches around the world I suppose. I wouldn't fear going there with my grandkids. On a good day Trunk Bay in St John can be just as crowded.

Though there are many retorts I have for your rude comment, I will refrain because this is not the forum for doing so. It appears you are the only individual looking to stir up controversy.

I have searched through the threads regarding recommendations of beaches and have read that Coki seems best for snorkeling and have read several posts about it also being unsafe. I am simply asking for any RECENT experiences as I am sailing in a few weeks and want to make the best decision for my trip there.

I have not been there recently. I have been there 3 times. I love the beach. I have always felt safe there. Murder happens everywhere. You can't let that stop you from seeing from beautiful locations. Good luck with your decision. There are plenty of alternatives. Go to St. John. Try a day sail.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that was harsh!!

Totally not called for!!

I will be there with my DH in May and was kinda wondering the same things.

I hear some great things about the snorkelling there. We have tickets for Coral World too.

Crap happens every where, so no point in dwelling on the what ifs.

Happy cruising everyone!! The only way to travel!!

Not dwelling on what if's. In my line of work, I'm well aware that crime can happen anywhere. I heard so many positive things about the beach itself, but obviously a lot of negativity about the area where the beach is located and just wanted to see if any recent visitors had any comments either way about the beach. It's a shame that DirtyNanners rude comment has actually turned me off more from going to Coki. My boyfriend had expressed interest in possibly doing a beach dive, but I think we'll go to Secret Harbour and use their dive shop instead, if that's what we choose to do.

We went to Coki beach in Jan. 2010. We were not harrassed by anyone at any time. When we were there, I saw lots of families and just a few local vendors. The snorkeling and beginning scuba was fantastic. I'm planning on bringing my kids there later this year. I've heard that they've done a lot to clean up the area since that unfortunate incident.

Archived