Anchorage confusion!

pug85747

The set-up in Anchorage is kinda confusing to me. I thought the train station and the airport were kinda right next to each other, but I guess this isn't the case?

We are going to be taking the evening train from our cruise drop-off in Seward to Anchorage, which is supposed to arrive in Anchorage at 10:15pm. I have already booked a rental car to be picked up that same night by 11pm. First question: DO WE HAVE ENOUGH TIME?

I chose to rent the car that night instead of the next morning, so we can leave for Denali in the morning without having to hassle with the car rental. Obviously, though, if we can't, we can't. However, if we can, WHAT'S THE FASTEST WAY TO GET FROM THE TRAIN DEPOT TO THE AIRPORT?

I was thinking my husband could get off the train immediately and go rent the car, while my daughter and I head to a hotel by the train depot. He could meet us at the hotel when he is done. I figure he can get to the airport and take care of the rental a lot faster not dealing with luggage or our daughter.

Lastly, WHAT ARE THE BEST HOTEL OPTIONS FOR US IN THIS SITUATION? Either staying the night by the train station, or staying the night by the airport...($100-$15O range, if possible) These last little details are draining me, and I really appreciate any help!

If you are arriving in Anchorage at 10:15pm, that would be the regular Alaska Railroad run which arrives downtown at the depot. The closest walkable hotel from the depot is the Comfort Inn with several others close by. There are several rental car agencies in downtown Anchorage including Avis, Hertz, and Enterprise. Perhaps you can get your car there vs. staying out near the airport.

The airport pick up of rental cars goes well into the night, SO, you can certainly pick up the car at the airport. Won't be available to you to pick up downtown.

From the depot- it's going to be $25+++ for a cab, you ONLY option to get to the airport. Stay at an airport lodging.

IF you change your mind, and pick up a car, downtown, may be significant savings with taxes. Then the Comfort Inn, listed above is a great choice.

As you must now know, the Alaska RR depot and airport are not near each other. There is TWO railroad options- with the cruise contracted trains using the airport depot, which you are NOT taking.

Thanks for the help! Are there cabs readily available outside the train depot to take people to the airport, or will we need to reserve a cab?

Also, a little side note for venting purposes - the Comfort Inn's cheapest rate is $199! For comparison, I have a room booked at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver for $124. Craziness!!

Also, a little side note for venting purposes - the Comfort Inn's cheapest rate is $199! For comparison, I have a room booked at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver for $124. Craziness!!

Nope, not really crazy. Pretty typical of Alaskas summer rates.

Archived