Transatlantic on Carnival

Disconnections

Has anybody been on a transatlantic cruise before on Carnival? We are booked on the Magic for it's transatlantic on Oct. 28, which is 16 nights with 12 being at sea.

How does the cruise director (John Heald?) fill up the days with activities? Does anybody have the Capers/Fun Times from a previous transatlantic or can remember what they were doing in entertainment?

When we were on the Dream, Butch told my family that he would probably be on the Magic's transatlantic as well but from cruise critic, I believe that John Heald might be cruise director. Do you think Butch might be the Assistant Cruise Director if John Heald is the cruise director?

Are there more production shows than a 7 day cruise? What types of shows will there be?

What will the menus be like on a 16 night cruise?

We are also staying in two Spa interiors. What is everything that we will get with the room?

Any information about Carnival transatlantic cruises will be great!

Thanks!

I had an inside spa room on the Dream Transatlantic last year. There were just some extra shampoo, soap and conditioner type little bottles, Elemis products and a room spray. Since this is the total no smoking area of the ship anyway, the rooms are very fresh, different decor than other cabins. Not too much else. There is a separate elevator and winding staircase to the spa levels. What I did not like on my deck is you always had to go down a level to be able to walk the whole length of the ship. This area is cut off. It was ok for events at that end of the ship (big ship, lots of walking)

I heard John Heald does not like TAs and for the Dream one he just got on in Bermuda to bring it to NY. We had Todd Wittmer who was lots of fun with his asst James. For the Magic, JH supposed to be cruise director in Europe so far. Anybody know anymore?

You are on for Halloween so expect a great party and parade and take a costume. Also, deck party! Lots of craft classes, afternoon teas etc.

I did a TA May 2008 on the C. Freedom, 14 nights. Miami to Italy. We had 4 ports days. Our cruise dir. was Todd and I was not impressed, but with John you will be in good shape.

I loved the experience, but have no plans to do it again.

I went in 1 - 25 in. suitcase. one carry on. I am a seasoned traveler. I used the washers/driers on the ship. That worked out well. $3/wash -$2/dry. I took my own detergent (dry) and $20 worth of quarters, 12 metal hangers. No problem.

We stayed in Italy after the cruise and I did not want to drag a lot of luggage around, Europe is not as easy to travel as the USA.

There were definitely some down times on the sea days. If you like games, card, do take them. Also there is a poor selection of books, so take paperbacks and then you can leave them.

Go on the message board for your cruise and meet your fellow cruisers. We got together several times on the ship. If you play bridge or cribbage for example, you can put a posting on the message board for folks to play with.

I would look at the Capers that Sargent is providing and expect something similar.

TAs are "one off's" (not done every week) for Carnival...and unfortunately, "one off's" does not seem to be Carnival's strong suit.

So I would not expect much more than they did last time....

I have been on 5 Carnival Transatlantics as I love the sea days. The first was with John Heald on the Liberty where many staff and passengers had norovirus and it was not a happy time. I vowed I would never go on another Carnival ship but decided to give the Freedom a try and loved it. Then did two more TAs on the Freedom and then The Dream last year.

Todd was the CD on all the other TAs and he was great. Butch was the Asst CD on the Liberty with John and handled all the negativity well. I would be very surprised if he would be demoted to Asst CD again and think that he will be the CD on the TA.

John has said on his blog that he will be CD on the TA but he often says what people want to hear and has now said that he will be having a break while the ship is in Europe.

There was not a lot of daytime activities except trivia and Arts and Crafts and dance lessons.. One time one of the passengers volunteered to teach Italian. However I was never bored and enjoyed Arts and crafts and took my own books to read and left them behind.

As far as I remember the menus were different every night. You must have the pecan pie if it is offered.

Mary

When we were on the Dream, Butch told my family that he would probably be on the Magic's transatlantic as well but from cruise critic, I believe that John Heald might be cruise director. Do you think Butch might be the Assistant Cruise Director if John Heald is the cruise director?

Wow that would be great if Butch was on the TA. We were just on the Dream last month with Butch and never thought to ask him as John has said on his blog that he will be the CD. I also don't think Butch would be an assistant CD but maybe they will co-CD as John will probably leave the Magic soon after the TA and Butch might take over. John and Butch, IMHO are the 2 best CD's so what a treat it would be to have both of them on the TA.:):):)

I have been on 5 Carnival Transatlantics as I love the sea days. The first was with John Heald on the Liberty where many staff and passengers had norovirus and it was not a happy time. I vowed I would never go on another Carnival ship but decided to give the Freedom a try and loved it. Then did two more TAs on the Freedom and then The Dream last year.

Todd was the CD on all the other TAs and he was great. Butch was the Asst CD on the Liberty with John and handled all the negativity well. I would be very surprised if he would be demoted to Asst CD again and think that he will be the CD on the TA.

John has said on his blog that he will be CD on the TA but he often says what people want to hear and has now said that he will be having a break while the ship is in Europe.

There was not a lot of daytime activities except trivia and Arts and Crafts and dance lessons.. One time one of the passengers volunteered to teach Italian. However I was never bored and enjoyed Arts and crafts and took my own books to read and left them behind.

As far as I remember the menus were different every night. You must have the pecan pie if it is offered.

Mary

I was on the Glory last March and had James Charlton as a cruise director. I was pretty surprised to see him as an Assistant Cruise Director on the Destiny this past October because he was really good.

Do you know what the age group will be like? Right now I am only 17 but will be 18 while I am on the Carnival Victory, a few months before I am on the Magic. Will it be mostly older people?

Thanks.

I was on the Glory last March and had James Charlton as a cruise director. I was pretty surprised to see him as an Assistant Cruise Director on the Destiny this past October because he was really good.

Do you know what the age group will be like? Right now I am only 17 but will be 18 while I am on the Carnival Victory, a few months before I am on the Magic. Will it be mostly older people?

Thanks.

Sometimes Assistant CD's are made Acting CD's when the CD on the ship goes on vacation. They can fill in for the duration or until another CD is available to fill in. This was probably the situation with James. Carnival is probably looking at James as a future CD so will give him an opportunity to fill in as an acting CD when possible.

I believe that the passenger mix on the TA will be older as it is during the school period and most parents would not take their kids out of school for 16 plus days. For a 7 day cruise, yes but not for longer than a week. Even some adults will not have that much time to take off for a cruise.

Sometimes Assistant CD's are made Acting CD's when the CD on the ship goes on vacation. They can fill in for the duration or until another CD is available to fill in. This was probably the situation with James. Carnival is probably looking at James as a future CD so will give him an opportunity to fill in as an acting CD when possible.

I believe that the passenger mix on the TA will be older as it is during the school period and most parents would not take their kids out of school for 16 plus days. For a 7 day cruise, yes but not for longer than a week. Even some adults will not have that much time to take off for a cruise.

Is this the same "James" who was assistant to Todd Wittmer on the Dream TA? He was funny, the one on Dream and a great pairing with Todd but it entered my mind he would be on his way up.

John will be the cd on the ta. He will also be the cd out of Galveston for the first few cruises. Butch is also my second favorite cd but they won't put him on the ta. That's a demotion. I was on the noro ta with John too. We have oftened talked about it. It was his worse cruise until the Splendor. Lynda

Archived