Destiny Review 12.13.10 Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk w/pics

jerseygirl79

Background: DH (34), Me (31). This is my 6th cruise, 5th with Carnival. DH has been on 4 cruises, 3 with Carnival.

Pre-Cruise:

DH and I flew AirTran from BWI to MIA the day before embarkation. We arrived in Miami on Sunday, Dec 12 after a 45 minute delay of our flight due to a mechanical issue that didn’t affect the “flyability” of the plane. OOOOOKAY. Maybe it’s just me, but sitting on a plane on the side of the runway for almost an hour due to a mechanical issue makes me a bit nervous, but it was smooth flying to Miami and we made up a lot of the delay in flight.

I scored a great deal for the 5 star InterContinental Miami at Chopin Plaza. The hotel was beautiful, there were doormen waiting to take your luggage and plenty of taxis to bring us to the pier the next day. But my favorite amenity had to be the Starbucks located in the lobby! This further confirmed my belief that there is a God and he loves me and understands my need for overpriced holiday inspired coffee drinks.

Pics of hotel:

100_2091.jpg

100_2092.jpg

100_2093.jpg

100_2096.jpg

100_2097.jpg

100_2098.jpg

After checking into the hotel, which was quick and painless, we dropped off our luggage and walked about 10 minutes through a park with paved walk to the Bayside Marketplace. I love this place. Yes, I know….tourist trap, but damnit….I’m a tourist!!! With the exception of a few big name chain stores, it reminded me of a big, glamorized flea market as it was full of shops I’ve never heard of selling stuff tourist like to buy or things you find in a kiosk cart at your local mall. Other features of the marketplace while we were there: boats providing sightseeing tours, mime in full white paint providing entertainment, Latin Band performing on stage, playground with kid bungee action contraption, petting zoo (stay away), pony rides, and trapeze training (in the park nearby).

As for the petting zoo. DH and I witnessed at small pig release a gigantic poo. A couple of chickens came over and decided it was dinner time. They eat the poo and then start to bury it by kicking around the mulch or whatever it was on the ground. A small child walks over, oblivious to what has occurred and starts playing with the chickens and walking in the area. The mom follows and bends to take pictures. The child started blowing kisses to Mom. The whole thing was very unsanitary and I didn’t notice any sanitizer in the area.

100_2145.jpg

100_2151.jpg

100_2147.jpg

100_2148.jpg

100_2149.jpg

100_2150.jpg

Embarkation Day:

The taxi from MIA to the hotel was $28.90 + tix (meter rate). Monday, Dec 13, we caught one of the waiting taxis to the ship for about $8 +tip. We arrived by 11:30 and were on the ship by 12:30ish. It was a very quick embarkation. Miami has it down.

We had our unofficial roll call Meet & Greet at the aft pool on Lido, it was nice to meet some of the people I’d been “talking” to online for the past few months.

The safety drill was quick, Destiny was decorated nicely for the holidays. Christmas trees, garland, bows and the like were all over the ship. There was even a huge menorah in the main lobby where we entered.

100_2251.jpg

100_2212.jpg

100_2252.jpg

100_2253.jpg

Our Cabin: This was our first time in an interior cabin, 7227, and it wasn't bad. I did miss having at least a window to see if we had docked in the morning, but the total darkness did provide some good sleeping!!! Definitely bring a plug in night light for those late night trips to the bathroom. It was handy!

In the future, I'll likely book and Oceanview or Balcony if the price is right. But if we're really trying to travel short notice on a budget, I'd book an inside again.

100_2209.jpg

100_2210.jpg

100_2211.jpg

Sailaway: We didn’t spend much time exploring the ship as we were familiar with her from last year’s trip. We immediately went to the Lido deck for lunch. Lunch on Lido can be quite painful on embarkation and sea days. The ships buffet layout is not conducive for all of the passengers trying to eat a meal at the same time. DH stood in line for about 25 minutes for his food. Meanwhile, I had my grilled ham and cheese in about 5 minutes from the New York Deli. The grill also had a much shorter line if you wanted hot dogs, fries, chicken fingers, etc.

Sailaway was a bit chilly as it Miami was forecasted to have a high of about 68 that day. Despite the cool air, it was a beautiful day and I was officially on my 6th cruise!!!

I must say, the often talked about “smell” was much more noticeable to me this trip on Destiny vs our last. However, the propulsion issues seemed less noticeable. The first night out was rocky as it was last year. DH took ill and went to bed early after dinner. I took up occupancy in my office at the Good Times quarter slot machines where I won $300 that Carnival would recoup throughout the cruise.

100_2214.jpg

100_2215.jpg

100_2216.jpg

100_2217.jpg

100_2220.jpg

100_2223.jpg

Nassau: This was my 3rd time to Nassau and I was hoping to visit Blue Lagoon, however due to the cooler temps that was out. Instead, we decided to walk down Baystreet and check out the straw market, as we’d never been. Getting off the ship so eary in the morning was cold!!! I’m was prepared with my coat, scarf and gloves! I felt bad for people who didn’t check the weather and were freezing in shorts and t-shirts. It was probably in the 60s belt a lot cooler near the ship. It eventually warmed up to about the low 70s and I started to feel warm.

I didn’t buy anything in Nassau other than a large mug to use for coffee on the ship. Unfortunately, most of the stuff sold on the islands are “made in china”. Go figure.

Destiny docked in Nassau

100_2233.jpg

100_2234.jpg

brrrr

100_2237.jpg

100_2238.jpg

100_2239.jpg

100_2240.jpg

Food: Tonight was formal night. DH and I had the lobster and it was delicious. Actually, all of our meals in the main dining room were great. DH made sure to order his flat iron steaks medium-rare as opposed to medium to ensure it wasn’t overcooked, and it was perfect. A couple of days were ordered room service for breakfast, no complaints. It was delivered on time or early. Breakfast was faster on lido as opposed to lunch. The line outside by the main pool went much quicker than inside. I think many passengers cram inside because they aren’t aware of the buffet set ups by the main and aft pools. I noticed there were lido maps set up this time providing directions to the different food stations.

Half Moon Cay: This port is as beautiful as ever, again I just wish it were warmer so we could fully enjoy the island. Despite the temps being in the low to mid 70s many cruisers braved the cool water and took the plunge, excluding DH and myself. Instead, we sat out and got some sun, I had my first Monkeyhead and ate at the buffet set up on the island. It was a beautiful day. I can’t wait to go back next year!!

100_2245.jpg

100_2246.jpg

100_2248.jpg

100_2249.jpg

100_2250.jpg

Sunset

100_2254.jpg

100_2255.jpg

Grand Turk: Nothing beats the pool at Margaritaville. Today was the warmest of all, somewhere in the low 80s, still too cool for us to swim but it was perfect for laying out by the pool, eating some fried conch and having a couple of drinks. Yes, the entertainment provided by the D.J. can be a bit illicit, but I hang back near the flow rider away from the pool bar where it’s a bit more quiet. This is where the families with small children to be as well. DH kept bugging me to move closer to the action, but I just wanted to relax!

100_2257.jpg

100_2258.jpg

100_2259.jpg

Past Guest Party: Grand Turk night was the past guest party and it was great! I’m not much of a drinker, but who turns down FREE liquor….not me! I also enjoyed, JoJo, the singer. OH….an after 5 Carnival cruisers….FINALLY…….

FUN SHIP FREDDY!!!!

100_2265.jpg

100_2266.jpg

Brent the CD

100_2269.jpg

Sea Day: Today was our only full sea day and also our Behind the Fun tour! We couldn’t wait and we weren’t disappointed. The tour was $55pp and lasted for 2 ½ hours. You’re told when you purchase the tickets to expect a lot of walking and stairs, and they aren’t lying. This is not a tour for the elderly or people who can’t walk or stand well for long periods of time. The steps weren’t bad, but at one point we went from deck zero to 3 by stairs. The meeting place for the tour was the library. All cameras and cell phones had to be left behind as they aren’t allowed on the tour. We visited the galley, storage areas for food and liquor, training room, the crew recreation and mess areas, laundry, the dancer’s dressing room, the stage, the engine control room and the bridge. It was awesome. DH loved it.

Holiday Show: Since this was our first time sailing during the holidays, it was our first time seeing the holiday show. This was one of my favorites the whole cruise! The dancers and singers were decked out in Christmas costumes, singing the traditional Christmas songs. The kids from Camp Carnival performed, Brent (the CD) read them a story and last…..SANTA!!!

100_2271.jpg

100_2272.jpg

100_2273.jpg

100_2274.jpg

100_2279.jpg

100_2280.jpg

100_2282.jpg

100_2290.jpg

100_2295.jpg

100_2300.jpg

100_2302.jpg

We didn’t see any of the other shows, but did enjoy the comedy of Carl Strong and Steve White. We opted for the main shows and not the R rated, as we couldn’t stay up late enough for the midnight shows.

All and all this was another great, much needed vacation on Carnival. I had reservations about sailing the same ship twice, but it was nice already being familiar with everything.

Next up: A Girls trip on the Pride 9.25.11 !!!!

Archived