Leaving Kids onboard during excursion

wiensie

I just booked a last minute trip on the Triumph in a few weeks. I'm too lazy and short for time to do my usual research so I'll throw a few things out there for those who have travelled with little ones:

1. Can kids be left onboard in CC during excursions whether Carnival sponsored or not? We'd like to do a short snorkel trip with the older ones and maybe leave our little one for a bit. (some other lines allow this, some not)

2. IF the above answer is no, can anyone recommend from experience good family excursions in Roatan, Cozumel or Belize? I can't find many that allow kids younger than 3 years old. I'm also open to other tour companies.

3. What's the scoop with Carnival providing strollers? I can't get a straight answer. If so, are they decent?

4. We've booked a balcony for 5, which includes a pull out and trundle bed. I'm having a hard time understanding where the trundle bed comes out of?! Is the pull out/down couch big enough for 2? Just curious about the layout.

5. Does CC give you pagers or phones for the younger ones? My 2 year old is quite independent and potty trained, but on other cruises we've had constant contact (if needed) which was nice.

Thanks for any input! We're excited to try our first Carnival cruise. The last 3 cruises we've had extended family along to help with babies and little ones, so I've got new logistical questions this time around.

I've been on 3 Carnival cruises when I was younger and all 3 I've slept on a pull out bed that came out of the ceiling. It's a twin size bed that basically is directly above the fullsize or 2 twins below. It comes with a ladder for them to climb on it. Not sure if this is the same you are getting, just saying!

I just booked a last minute trip on the Triumph in a few weeks. I'm too lazy and short for time to do my usual research so I'll throw a few things out there for those who have travelled with little ones:

1. Can kids be left onboard in CC during excursions whether Carnival sponsored or not? We'd like to do a short snorkel trip with the older ones and maybe leave our little one for a bit. (some other lines allow this, some not) Yes, they just ask you to pick them up immediatly upon returning from your excursion. I've left my DD several times in Camp Carnival (usually at her request) while we go snorkeling. We go back afterwards, pick her up and then go sight see or to a beach.

2. IF the above answer is no, can anyone recommend from experience good family excursions in Roatan, Cozumel or Belize? I can't find many that allow kids younger than 3 years old. I'm also open to other tour companies.

3. What's the scoop with Carnival providing strollers? I can't get a straight answer. If so, are they decent? I've never seen them provide strollers, but have never needed one.

4. We've booked a balcony for 5, which includes a pull out and trundle bed. I'm having a hard time understanding where the trundle bed comes out of?! Is the pull out/down couch big enough for 2? Just curious about the layout. The trundle, at least on our upcoming trip on the Triumph, is under the bed. Bummer for us because that's usually where we store our suitcases. We also have an upper even though there's only 3 of us in the cabin. When we've had the upper berth or sofa bed it's only a twin. I dont know if the sofa beds make into anything larger

5. Does CC give you pagers or phones for the younger ones? My 2 year old is quite independent and potty trained, but on other cruises we've had constant contact (if needed) which was nice. In my experience, they give pages/phones for the toddlers. On my last trip my DD was 5 and they said unless I really wanted one they saw no need to give me a pager. I could peek in on her though because there was a large window that overlooked the 10th deck.

Thanks for any input! We're excited to try our first Carnival cruise. The last 3 cruises we've had extended family along to help with babies and little ones, so I've got new logistical questions this time around.

Hope this helps. This is just based on my experience. :) When do you sail? We are on the Triumph on Jan 27. If you are too, come join our roll call! :)

Last February my niece left the two boys in Camp Carnival while they were on a horseback ride in Mexico with no problem. They didn't even realize mom was gone. She did put my name on the list as an authorized person to pick up the kids, and they had my stateroom number. If you do want someone else to be able to pick up or even check on the kids, you have to give that info to them up at Camp Carnival. They're real strict about who can interact with your kids (which is a good thing!)

1. Can kids be left onboard in CC during excursions whether Carnival sponsored or not? We'd like to do a short snorkel trip with the older ones and maybe leave our little one for a bit. (some other lines allow this, some not) We've cruise with our son who is almost 4 on 10 Carnival cruises and have left him on board during many excursions. Technically you are suppose to be on a Carnival excursion, and sometimes they would not take him if we couldn't show them our excursion tickets. Other times they didn't even ask where we were going. It just depends on the counselors.

2. IF the above answer is no, can anyone recommend from experience good family excursions in Roatan, Cozumel or Belize? I can't find many that allow kids younger than 3 years old. I'm also open to other tour companies. If you decide to take your little one with you, Cozumel has several beaches that are family friendly. Two of my favorites are Nachi Cocum and Chankanaab. In either place you could take turns snorkeling and still have your other one with you. In Belize we did a great excursion to an island. That was through the ship.

3. What's the scoop with Carnival providing strollers? I can't get a straight answer. If so, are they decent? I've seen the stroller rentals on Carnival. They are older cheaper strollers. I prefer to bring my own.

4. We've booked a balcony for 5, which includes a pull out and trundle bed. I'm having a hard time understanding where the trundle bed comes out of?! Is the pull out/down couch big enough for 2? Just curious about the layout. ?

5. Does CC give you pagers or phones for the younger ones? My 2 year old is quite independent and potty trained, but on other cruises we've had constant contact (if needed) which was nice. Carnival has always given us a pager or cel phone. They sign it out to you for the whole cruse, and you must be sure to have it with you when you sign your child into camp. It doesn't work off the ship. Having the ship cel phone is a great advantage because you can call any extension on the ship. We will miss not having the ship cell phone when our son gets older.

Have a great cruise.

3. What's the scoop with Carnival providing strollers? I can't get a straight answer. If so, are they decent?

they provide strollers for rent- they are $25.00 for the week and they use Jeep strollers.

4. We've booked a balcony for 5, which includes a pull out and trundle bed. I'm having a hard time understanding where the trundle bed comes out of?! Is the pull out/down couch big enough for 2? Just curious about the layout. the sofa is a convertible sofa- the back comes off and is made to a bed--it does not pull out. I am sure two little toddlers can fit on the feet to feet--not next to each other

I do see that camps are opened on port days-- but they ask you to pick up your kids at lunchtime--

d.

regarding the stroller-- what are you going to do while getting from the airport to the taxi-- or waiting in line to board the ship- strollers can be had from camp-- but they are not opened until 7pm that first night.

4. We've booked a balcony for 5, which includes a pull out and trundle bed. I'm having a hard time understanding where the trundle bed comes out of?! Is the pull out/down couch big enough for 2? Just curious about the layout.

It looks to me like you have several things mixed up. A convertible sofa is the same size as a twin, and the pillows that are behind it on the wall are removed at night and its made up as a bed.

A pull down is a bunk, (not a sofa) and is over another bed, perhaps the sofa if you have a balcony.

Trundle beds by definition are on the floor .. you have to be limber to get down on the floor to sleep on one. They dont come out of anything, they are stored under a twin bed... well they are not attached to anything if that is what you mean by coming out of something else.

This ship will also have rollaways if someone cant get down on the floor.

Out of curiosity- do you leave your kids with strangers back home whom you haven't checked their references, qualifications, or run a background check? I for one would never, ever leave my kids with someone I don't know these days. Carnival doesn't do background checks on all of their employees- they rely on the agencies where they get their employees from to do this for them and there's really no way for you to know if they were actually performed, forged, or just overlooked. The main person running the Camp Carnival is supposed to be hired by Carnival directly and have a college degree in a child care field. Feel free to ask this when you first check them in and if they seem confused by the questions or say they do not have a college degree, I'd take that as a red flag and wouldn't leave my kids there when not on the ship.

I got my information from my sister who sued Carnival for a Camp Carnival incident and this is the information that was revealed to her at this time. It was in 2002 and as far as I can tell from internet searches Carnival has not changed their policies. So, just be careful.

I'm still looking in the OP's post where she asked for anyone's opinion on her parenting.

I would consider it a very strong, and carefully thought or concern a poster said, concerning how you should be careful and not assume certain things, while you are visiting a foreign land, and without going into details, a personal incident that had happened. These typses of questions, will bring out strong questions, and show some strong concerns that one should consider before making the decision.

Out of curiosity- do you leave your kids with strangers back home whom you haven't checked their references, qualifications, or run a background check? I for one would never, ever leave my kids with someone I don't know these days. Carnival doesn't do background checks on all of their employees- they rely on the agencies where they get their employees from to do this for them and there's really no way for you to know if they were actually performed, forged, or just overlooked. The main person running the Camp Carnival is supposed to be hired by Carnival directly and have a college degree in a child care field. Feel free to ask this when you first check them in and if they seem confused by the questions or say they do not have a college degree, I'd take that as a red flag and wouldn't leave my kids there when not on the ship.

I got my information from my sister who sued Carnival for a Camp Carnival incident and this is the information that was revealed to her at this time. It was in 2002 and as far as I can tell from internet searches Carnival has not changed their policies. So, just be careful.

Totally agree with you. No way in hell would I leave my child onboard without me.

Wow, I can't believe I never used cruise critic before for quick and easy answers to things that sometimes took me forever to find out online.:o

Thanks to all your posts so far; I'm sorting through stuff and realize I better get cracking on packing as the days are flying by. This year we're striving for everyone to only have one carry-on, which should make things quite simple

Thanks Mr.Pete especially for the tip on potentially missing the boat. We left our boys, 4&6 last year on a RC boat for a few hours, but in retrospect we were just shopping at the port and not too far away. I think we'll try the Manatee excursion in Belize where the 2 youngest and I can hang out at the beach while my DH snorkels with the oldest boy. Maybe a few days later we will switch so I can have a chance. Once in Hawaii we were on a diving excursion and our boat broke down, leaving us stranded on the ocean for a few unexpected hours. That was without kids, but still lingers in the back of my mind. (it was a cruise excursion and the ship waited for us.)

In regards to the concern jeBuell for leaving the kids at CC in general, I'm sorry your sister had a bad experience. Certainly a parent's worst nightmare! That being said, as a full time parent we are usually quite strict and have few babysitters outside of family. Despite my DH's reservations for any childcare at all, I have always been confident in the safety of the children at different kid's clubs. It is obvious, however, that some staff have a greater affinity for children than others. Most are Canadians, Americans or Australians, usually teachers of some sort, although a degree holding worker means nothing to me if they don't like kids nor their job.

Overall the stats tell us that unfortunately most children are at the greatest risk of any kind of abuse from within their own families or those people they see/know on a regular basis. For now we'll just have to trust that the pirate parties and playtime for a few hours here and there only enhance our little ones' cruise experiences.

Please keep the comments coming. I'm especially looking for more tips on excursions. Another thing, did they fix the dock in Cozumel or is it still a tender? We haven't been there in a few years but sometimes rebuilding is slow after a hurricane.

Thanks

PS: I'm still not sure about the sleeping arrangements, but assume it will all work out. The brochure says we have a single convertible sofa and one upper. The pullman beds *shouldn't* be used by kids under a certain weight, so that likely means the littles squeezing onto the sofa and trundle bed, wherever that comes out from under. I'm just glad they have a room for 5, which is so hard to find!

We don't have kids so I can't help with most of your questions, but I wanted to piggy-back on what Mr. Pete said. It's definitely important to have a contingency plan in case you miss the ship. However, if you take a Carnival-sponsored excursion the ship will wait for you even if the excursion is running late, so that might give you a little more peace of mind. Of course, a contingency plan is still a good idea in case something else happens and you are unable to return to the ship (medical emergency, etc.). Have a great cruise! :)

2. IF the above answer is no, can anyone recommend from experience good family excursions in Roatan, Cozumel or Belize? I can't find many that allow kids younger than 3 years old. I'm also open to other tour companies. In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach. There was snorkeling, kayaking, swimming, food, play equipment. You could even get a life vest for the younger one. Here is the CC link for Paradise Beach http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1324565

3. What's the scoop with Carnival providing strollers? I can't get a straight answer. If so, are they decent? My daughter elected to bring her own "umbrella stroller" You can get one from a big box department store for around $10. Then you would have it for other activities such as standing in lines waiting to board (yeah I know the lines should be short but one never knows!)

My kids are teens. I did let my son stay one day while we were on an excursion. He would not have enjoyed the day (we didn't either, actually) and was fine onboard. But I was just so slightly anxious about it- and I am not a helicopter mom and my son has traveled extensively since he was about 3 months old. I am comfortable with kids staying in the clubs for all the reasons listed above, but if something should happen.......if.......besides, I traveled with my kids to travel with my kids. They loved beaches, and loved boats and loved the water and loved animals. There was always something to do that they would love.

I apologize if I implied that you are not a good parent. Quite the opposite! I'm assuming that when you do leave your children with someone else that you do a lot of research and don't just leave your kids with strangers. I've been an educator and child care worker in some aspect or another since I was a camp counselor when I was 16. I cannot tell you how many background checks have been run on me, how many times I've been finger printed, and how many of my referrals have been checked (and I've even had people call my college to verify my degree) because they are concerned about their kids. And knowing what I know about certain things I will never be able to trust my kids with someone that I don't do all of this to, whether it be in the US or on vacation. It's unfortunate that what happened to my sister happened, especially since because of this horrible thing that happened most of my family will never cruise Carnival again and I'd LOVE to do a family cruise someday which limits us, I just want to ensure it doesn't happen to anyone else.

I understand leaving your kids in Camp when you're right there on the ship or nearby. If you are going on a longer excursion (4+ hours) I would personally not feel comfortable. And especially if there's even the slightest chance that an accident or hold up of some sort would cause you to miss the ship. Shopping or a short, nearby excursion would be OK, I'd think. Just use caution- if you don't feel comfortable with the people you meet at the Camp, listen to your instincts!

And just for clarification- what happened in my family did not happen with an employee of Camp Carnival but rather another employee who was allowed access to the kids while they were at a Camp Carnival teen party. So while the Camp people are usually better screened and very qualified, it doesn't ensure that they are the only people who have access to your kids.

To answer one of your questions, Cozumel has the pier now, we just got back from there and the pier is in great shape. They are doing some construction on a building on the pier, looks like more shops. Should be done soon by the way it was looking.

Chankanaab is the ideal place for families in Cozumel. We have been there 3 times ith our 7 year old (first visit when he was 3) Sand, snorkelling, play area, lagoon, botanical gardens, trails, chairs, hammocks etc. Check their website and get a coupon for $2 off admission.

We left our little people when we were at Belize without any hesitation. Carnival has a fantastic staff. I liked that the camp was under survelience the entire time and I think the video cameras protect the counselors just as much as they protect the kids. The counselors also do not work by themselves, but at minimum in pairs.

So far as missing the ship, we did have someone in our party still on the ship,(although I would have left them even if that were not the case) but if the very worst possible thing happened and we missed the ship, or even worse were incapacitated, I am optimistic enough to feel that life works out even in the worst circumstances and I would prefer they be on the ship, then with us in a life altering event.

I understand the protectiveness of parents more than most since I have seen the effects of abuse in children through fostering, but at the same time I believe that balance is needed to weigh risk versus reward. As a society we have a tendency to become so protective that it is at times silly. For example the school teacher who banned pencils because they might become weapons, or the boyscouts getting sued because they let children play in the dark and one fell down, or the paranoia over halloween candy and trick or treating even though the risk is so miniscule at the be non existent. I actually have a friend who yelled at her boys to stop running on level grass in a yard because they might fall and get hurt in broad daylight and I thought her head would spin off when I allowed mine to climb trees.

But anyways check out camp, trust your instincts, plan contigencies, and trust in others reasonably.

We left our little people when we were at Belize without any hesitation. Carnival has a fantastic staff. I liked that the camp was under survelience the entire time and I think the video cameras protect the counselors just as much as they protect the kids. The counselors also do not work by themselves, but at minimum in pairs.

So far as missing the ship, we did have someone in our party still on the ship,(although I would have left them even if that were not the case) but if the very worst possible thing happened and we missed the ship, or even worse were incapacitated, I am optimistic enough to feel that life works out even in the worst circumstances and I would prefer they be on the ship, then with us in a life altering event.

I understand the protectiveness of parents more than most since I have seen the effects of abuse in children through fostering, but at the same time I believe that balance is needed to weigh risk versus reward. As a society we have a tendency to become so protective that it is at times silly. For example the school teacher who banned pencils because they might become weapons, or the boyscouts getting sued because they let children play in the dark and one fell down, or the paranoia over halloween candy and trick or treating even though the risk is so miniscule at the be non existent. I actually have a friend who yelled at her boys to stop running on level grass in a yard because they might fall and get hurt in broad daylight and I thought her head would spin off when I allowed mine to climb trees.

But anyways check out camp, trust your instincts, plan contigencies, and trust in others reasonably.

Well said!

To the OP: in Aug we were ported in Nassau on the Fantasy and my husband and I wanted to walk around a bit and shop. My 12yr old was on this sailing with us and she didn't want to go..she's been to Nassau about 5x and doesn't like it. She said she wanted to stay onboard at the Circle C. My husband said fine...if for some reason we don't make it back on the ship, call your grandfather from your cell and he'll take care of everything...I envisioned my dad sending a chopper to the ship, my dad over does things to the extreme..lol.

Chankanaab is the ideal place for families in Cozumel. We have been there 3 times ith our 7 year old (first visit when he was 3) Sand, snorkelling, play area, lagoon, botanical gardens, trails, chairs, hammocks etc. Check their website and get a coupon for $2 off admission.

I agree with this one. you can DYI. Taxi should be about $20 per cab from the carnival pier. Hubby can snorkel and the kids will have a great time. Enjoy

For Roatan, I did not see anyone recommend Victor tours.

He is great. You can have him the entire day for about $25 / pers.

Make sure you go to his farm. For an extra $5 the kids will get to go inside a cage with little monkeys........ it will be the highlight of your trip.

Then, you can go to the beach for snorkling....... this is were I truely enjoyed snorkling for the 1st time.

It will be one of your least expensive ports..... and you will have memories for a lifetime........trust me on this one.

http://www.boddentours.com/

I agree with this one. you can DYI. Taxi should be about $20 per cab from the carnival pier. Hubby can snorkel and the kids will have a great time. Enjoy

The cab rates are posted by the taxi stand at the pier. Cab for 4 to Chank is $10. Be sure to go to the Cozumel forum for other tips. Have a great time!

Archived