Items you brought and never used

Queenofthechickens

I see many of you mention a highlighter. What do you use that for, just curious? I am a newbie on the cruise stuff and am doing my first sailing on May 2012.

Each day your cabin steward will leave you will the next day's itinerary of things to do on the ship. It will also have other various bits of info, like the time the ship leaves port, the daily weather, etc. I use the highlighter to highlight the things that I want to do, so that I don't forget what time they are, etc.--it helps me to easily identify what's happening where and what time, etc. I just threw one in my suitcase last night since I'm leaving tomorrow.:)

Each day your cabin steward will leave you will the next day's itinerary of things to do on the ship. It will also have other various bits of info, like the time the ship leaves port, the daily weather, etc. I use the highlighter to highlight the things that I want to do, so that I don't forget what time they are, etc.--it helps me to easily identify what's happening where and what time, etc. I just threw one in my suitcase last night since I'm leaving tomorrow.:)

Thanks so much, I will be adding a highlighter to my list! Have a great time on your cruise! :D

It is so interesting to see what people use and don't use. I always use my power strip, my nightlight and the 3M hooks. Cabin bathrooms never have enough hooks for me. Pit them up the day we board and remove them whrn we pack to return home.

I also take motion sickness meds as I am prone to it but love to cruise!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I usually take binoculars and have used them on 2 trips - Hawaii/South Pacific to see a mid-ocean atoll and Alaska to see bears on land. Don't think I will pack them in the future for Caribbean cruises though.

I always use my extension cord and multiplug though - we take 2 computers, camera battery recharger, electric toothbrush, rechargable hair trimmer and I hate to be constantly plugging/unplugging things.

• 3 weeks later...

Alarm clock, I never even took it out of my suitcase. I used my cellphone, I know many people say not too because it probably wont have the right time when there are time changes but I just changed it manually the night before just like my watch and never had a problem.

more than 1 lotion, my hands get dry especially after being in water. At home I use a wide variety of different scented lotions, a different one each day. I brought 3 with me on a 9 day cruise and only ever used one of them.

More than a few belts, I brought like 5 with me, most of them sat in the drawer collecting dust.

The CD/Radio from my kitchen wall the size of a spiral notebook. What was I thinking. And it got a big dent in it to boot. Listened to one CD, if my memory serves me.

iPod and the external speakers +earphones that I never used on the cruise and only used once on the flight.

Several pairs of pajamas. Have found with all the showering I do, one pair is fine.

Shoes to match every outfit. Stopped that on cruise number three.

A book to read. Never opened it.

Even though I have stop taking the above things I still pack too much.

For my next cruise I am going to take less complete outfits and more mix and match separates.

• 2 months later...

Books: We always bring 3-4 books and any that we read we leave in the library for others to enjoy!

Duct tape : Have had to use it twice: Airlines aren't nice to our suitcases:

Over the door see through shoe/ and nylons holder: Once we started using it.. NO MORE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT not having enough space for toiletries: He usese the top half: I use the bottom half:

Always take our lighted travel alarm:

Will take less dressy clothes this trip: Only 2-3 pair of shoes: 1-2 belts

Hubby will take only one dress shirt and one dark sports jacket:

All bathroom items will be reduced to travel sizes. No need to bring them back home at the end of the cruise: Bonine and ginger snaps always goes with me: Ops : so does pepto:

Oh yes: We are only bringing one trac phone and one camera this trip:

I was a bit more successful not taking stuff I did not use.

However, here is the list of stuff I did not use this last cruise:

Instant coffee packets ...never used only drank enough coffee for caffeine...have now stopped coffee

Half and half creamers...discovered real half and half and not only non dairy creamer available

Instant drink packets...forgot that sugar free beverages are available

Powerstrip...this ship had accessible outlets...will take on new ships or the ships I know I will need

Mini laptop...just used the one in the computer center

Blowdryer...used the one provided and took more time curling my hair & it was OK!

I went too far eliminating clothes. :) I had enough evening clothes but not enough daytime.

This is obviously a work in progress for me. I did bring travel size toiletries and was so happy to discover they were enough. I brought water and Diet Mountain Dew purchased the day before and drank it all.

I will keep reading and see what I can do to lightened up & have what I REALLY need for my next cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Things we brought on our first cruise, never used and never brought again.

Our M P 3 player with small speakers.

A power cord

An over the door hanger. It's just the 2 of us and the Bathrooms offered plenty of room

Way too many outfits and shoes. I now, do the mix and match thing.

• 5 weeks later...

DH laughed when we took it for our first cruise and almost took it out on the last one. My suitcase got ripped on both corners and had to be taped together to get home. Probably need it anytime you fly!!

So what is this thing about Duct Tape? I've even asked a friend in the USA to sent me a role of bright pink Duck brand Duck tape from the USA, as all we have here is dull grey stuff.

It can be used to fix anything. Last cruise my suitcase broke and I used the bright red duct tape to tape it all up. It kept it together until we got home. I have also used it to temporarily fix the hem in my pants to get me through the night. I always take it with me when I travel. It doesn't take up much space and you just never know when you might need it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Binoculars, bug spray, swiss army knife amd other odd things that was on some sort of packing list for my 1st cruise to Alaska.

Geez, I wasn't going to be staying outdoors. Although I do think the binoculars are handy.

Also too many clothes.

Now, 3 cruises later, on my Oslo/Brugges/Amsterdam cruise RCCl (only 5 nights) I'm going to pack less and smarter (definitely the mix and match).

Never had anyone mention the duct tape. Thanks for the tip.

iPod is a must. It helps me fall asleep. But I did take my Kindle and never used it. The ship has enough activity to keep me busy (when we're not on shore).

I do take my notebook to download my pictures after every shore excursion. I forgot my cord on the Alaska cruise and had to buy a memory card in Ketchikan (where was my head...).

Highlighter! Yes, thanks! Great idea!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived