Car seat from airport to port?

B_Mc

We've booked transfers from the airport to the port through the cruise line (RCI) and they've assured us that a car seat is not required for our DS (10 months). We even looked into Florida's laws and its true, on a bus they are not required.

What was your experience with this? We dread lugging the giant thing with us but will do it for DS' safety...

The shuttle will be a bus with no seat belts, so no car seat will even work. You'll be fine.

The great majority of the current population grew up without child seats or even, seatbelts! I remember a "seat" that hooked over the frontseat (no seatbelts) with cheap aluminum rods and had a steering wheel and horn for me to play with....yep...I'm still here!

RCI is correct, on a bus, you cannot use a car seat. What RCI failed to ask you I'm sure -- what are you going to do once you are in the ports? Are you going to walk your baby everywhere? If yes, then great, enjoy your cruise! :)

If no, and you are planning on taking a taxi in port, then you need the car seat. If you wouldn't dream of driving to your local corner store without your 10 month old locked into a car seat then it is no different in a foreign country.

And yes, CB at Sea, we all know that you made it here ok. Imagine all of those that didn't. They are dead. ;)

what are you going to do once you are in the ports? Are you going to walk your baby everywhere? If yes, then great, enjoy your cruise! :)

Pretty much, yes! We only have 1 day in port so we're okay with walking only and not doing any excursions. Thanks for pointing that out though, that's totally something I would have over looked.

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm totally paranoid - traveling without the car seat is going to feel so LIGHT!

. Imagine all of those that didn't. They are dead. ;)

True, and there have been many who have been saved against impossible odds by a car seat.

To the OP, also consider the plane ride. A car seat makes air travel more comfortable and safe for babies too. Even if you didn't book an extra seat often the airline will give you a free seat if there is one to install your car seat in.

Pretty much, yes! We only have 1 day in port so we're okay with walking only and not doing any excursions. Thanks for pointing that out though, that's totally something I would have over looked.

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm totally paranoid - traveling without the car seat is going to feel so LIGHT!

Where is your port day? I might be able to suggest an excursion that uses a bus or boat where you can avoid just walking around the port. :)

Where is your port day? I might be able to suggest an excursion that uses a bus or boat where you can avoid just walking around the port. :)

Cozumel!

Thanks for trying! If you can't come up with anything, we're okay with taking it easy. We're doing this trip more just to getaway from everyday life so excursions aren't a must!

Cozumel!

Thanks for trying! If you can't come up with anything, we're okay with taking it easy. We're doing this trip more just to getaway from everyday life so excursions aren't a must!

Passion Island! Here are my pictures from my review, starting with post #58. They use a boat that looks like a tender boat so you don't need a car seat.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277771&page=3

We've booked transfers from the airport to the port through the cruise line (RCI) and they've assured us that a car seat is not required for our DS (10 months). We even looked into Florida's laws and its true, on a bus they are not required.

What was your experience with this? We dread lugging the giant thing with us but will do it for DS' safety...

Are you using the Cruise Line bus?

Archived