Any Guy plans for Formal/Non-formal nights?

jacksmom09

Hi! Traveling with my 2 guys! My dh and my ds (14)! We are really trying to pack smarter this trip and are wondering if anyone has any great tips for packing for the D/R for both formal and non-formal nights! My dh has a nice black suit, but I will have to start from scratch minus a pair of black dress slacks for ds (he grows to fast to keep up with)! I would love a plan that would help us pack more efficiently!:D

My husband packs a sports coat and black slacks. He can wear the slacks on one other night besides the two formal nights, having them cleaned once during the cruise. He takes one other pair of nice slacks for the other nights, doing the same, we usually send them out twice for cleaning. One white shirt for formal nights with 2 different ties. Four other shirts, wearing one the first and last nights.

So for evening:

2 pair slacks

5 shirts

2 pair shoes

For day wear pretty much the same, only 3 pair of shorts and 5 shirts, sending one or two shirts and shorts out for laundry. He takes two pair of casual shoes, one pair on his feet.

A lot of people think it's too expensive having laundry/dry cleaning done onboard, but it's a whole lot less than purchasing more clothes, especially for your teen. For the 2 of us on a one week cruise, we spend approx. $25-30 on laundry/dry cleaning charges.

Just an FYI, other people may mention it, but I caution against using the $25 laundry bag special that is offered. We found it actually cost us more, since all is wash and fold, we had to send things back for press only. We didn't request the laundry special, but just happened to turn in laundry that day. It's really only good for socks/underwear/pajamas, not even his T shirts or jeans looked decent enough to wear.

Not that you asked but I pack in a similar fashion to avoid overpacking. I've gotten over the need to have choices when we cruise and have learned to mix and match with quality over quantity. I plan the wardrobe from the shoes up to cut back on the amount of shoes taken. I also have found that packing knit dresses for casual evenings is easier than slacks/top combinations. It makes travel so much simpler, easier to pack/unpack/organize and everything comes home dirty, no seperating in the suitcase.

Packing light was a bit scary for me the first time, but once I started I now look for other ways to cut back. We still need a large rolling garment bag, a medium sized suitcase and a rolling carry on (all shared) for the 2 of us, I don't think I could ever cruise with carry on only.

For a teen, I think a nice pair of dress slacks, a nice dress shirt, and tie are wonderful for formal night. If it's black slacks, I think a black dress shirt with a colorful tie looks great.

I never thought about doing black dress shirt with black dress slacks, but I bet my ds will like that idea! :D So, I could do black dress slacks and 2 shirt and tie combos for both dressy nights!:D

Archived