Parking at the pier in Honolulu

stevecw

We will be staying pre-cuise a few nights and will have a rental car. On the day the cruise departs (POA), we want to drive to the ship and park the car - get our luggage checked in, get ourselves checked in, then go back to the car and site see till around 6 or 7. Does anyone know what the parking situation is at the Honolulu pier for the POA? What pier number does the POA use? I've heard you can park at the Aloha Tower mall, but that spots are scarce and expensive. Not sure how close they are to the boat either.

Hi

we don't find the spots at Aloha tower too expensive for a couple of hours....a few dollars? We frequently go down there for dinner or to look around. I dont know how scarce they will be at that time of day and I would say the earlier the better. The lot RIGHT at the tower is not large but we have only been turned away from that lot once. The larger lot is on the other side of the the Maritime Museum and should accomodate you. You can drive up, empty out and have someone take the car to park if you have to.

POA docks at piers 10/11. That is the tower pier.

What are your plans on sightseeing? You might be better off dropping off the car, taking a cab back to the pier, checking in, and hoofing it. In the area are China Town, the Tower and shops, Hilo Hatties, Maritime Museum (where the Humuhumununukunukuapua'a are swimming by) and several restaurants and shops. The bus can take you to Ward Center, AloMoana, or back to Waikiki if you want.

At least you wont have to worry about getting the car back after your day of sightseeing.

Thanks SueBee. We plan on getting to the pier around 11:30am. Hopefully by then we can get our luggage unloaded and get checked in. The reason we are keeping the car is we want to go up to the North Shore, after we check in and get rid of the luggage. We plan to spend some time seeing the area up there, and then take the rental car back to the airport - then catch a cab back to the ship. How long is the average drive on a Sunday afternoon from the pier area to the North Shore area? Any must see sites on the north shore? I've heard about the shaved ice place, and plan to stop there. Time permitting, we may also stop at the Dole Plantation on the way back. I want to be back to the ship by around 8:00.

Like I said in another thread - about 1-1/2 to 2 hours to get to the North Shore. The town of Haleiwa is cute and very artsy - may be worth dropping by to explore if you or your other half likes to shop. Matsumoto's (the shave ice place) is in this town. Depending on what time of the year you're coming, you may want to stop at some of the big surfing beaches around the area to watch the pros (and amateurs) surf the big waves. Waimea Bay is a nice beach to relax on and has some nice waves to watch as well. If you're not there during winter, Shark's Cove is a good places to snorkel.

Spleen

What Spleen said....

Also at Waimea is a nature preserve if you like that sort if thing. You can hike to and swim in a waterfall there. Don't go in the summer as the waterfall will be dry-ish. A nice, surprising place for a plate lunch too.

Some like to eat lunch at a shrimp truck....a plate of garlic shrimp about 10-12 dollars. You will see the trucks along the side of the road, sometimes with tables around them....always a line. They look un-appetizing, but the locals know to look past all that. They are all along the North Shore.

You are planning exactly what Pebbles and I did a year ago, I drove the rental car to the pier, unloaded Pebbles and the luggage :eek: , parked in the lot right next to the pier, did the embarkation thingy, got settled in, then took the rental car to a grocery store, got the CF Diet Pepsi that we drink, dropped the car off at Alamo, and took a cab back to the pier. The North shore may be a bit ambitious, but if you allow enough time, it is manageable...Spleen and Suebee (as always) gives the most accurate information... ;)

What I'm quizzable about is....your ability to walk off the ship after embarkation...and not return for a few hours... man, I hated to leave the STAR, they had a barbeque going on, the partying had already started at 1:00...Well, more power to ya!!!!

Aloha!!! hava blast!!

My wife and I wanted another beach day when we went on the Infinity; after all, it didn't leave until midnight. I dropped her and the luggage, parked the car near the Maritime Museum (cost about $5), checked onto the ship, had lunch, got off the ship, went to Lanakai Beach for a few hours. Then, turned the car in at the airport, caught a cab (about $15) back to the pier in time to shower and have dinner. it couldn't have worked out better

Does anybody know of available overnight parking near the pier?

This is taken directly from http://www.alohatower.com It should answer a few questions....It doesnt say about overnight...but I suspect that there is no 'official' word on that. They gate it closed at the end of the day.

Transportation

Anchoring downtown Honolulu, Aloha Tower Marketplace is a conveniently located waterfront attraction at the historic Honolulu Harbor. Just 15 minutes from Honolulu International Airport, and 10 minutes from the World famous Waikiki Beach, it's an easy drive over or ride the Aloha Tower Marketplace Shuttle or City Bus. Enjoy unique and captivating shops, waterfront restaurants, and a "melting pot" of daily music and entertainment. Discover Hawaii's premier getaway for dining, shopping, and just plain having fun.

Parking

Receive discounted parking with validation from any of our stores or restaurants. Also, on the following Aloha Tower Marketplace recognized holidays, there is a flat rate of $2: New Year’s Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas.

Plus, after lunch, call 57-VALET (578-2538) and enter the six-digit valet ticket number. Your vehicle will be ready and waiting for you when you return!

Validation Rates

Self Parking Valet

Mon-Fri, 7:15am-3:00pm

(3 hr. time limit)

$2.00 $3.00

Each 30 minutes Thereafter $3.00 $3.00

Weekdays after 3:00pm

(Flat Rate) $2.00 $3.00

Weekends (Flat Rate) $2.00 $3.00

Non-Validation Rates

Self Parking & Valet

All Day, Every Day

1st Hour $3.00

Each 30 Minutes Thereafter $3.00

Additional parking available at nearby Downtown Parking Garages:

Harbor Court (522-1240)

Monday thru Friday

$0.50 for 30 minutes, $1.00 every 30 minutes thereafter

After 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday & all day Saturday & Sunday

Flat rate $2.00

Pacific Guardian Center (Grosvenor Center)

Monday thru Friday

$3.00 every 1/2 hour

After 4:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday & all day Saturday & Sunday

Flat rate $2.00

Harbor Square (537-2637)

Monday thru Friday (6:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)

$2.25 every 1/2 hour

After 4:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday & all day Saturday & Sunday

Flat rate $2.00

Topa Building (AMFAC) (521-2204)

Monday thru Friday (7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)

$3.00 every 1/2 hour

After 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday & all day Saturday & Sunday

Flat rate $2.00 (max rate: $36.00)

Off site parking facilities are not operated by Aloha Tower Marketplace and do not accept Aloha Tower Market validation. Rates are subject to change without notice.

TheBus back to top

The city bus makes regular scheduled stops to the Aloha Tower Marketplace from Waikiki.

From Waikiki, take the following buses:

# 19 or 20 and get off on Alakea and Hotel street, or

# 2 or 13 and get off on Bishop and Hotel street.

After getting off the bus, walk down towards the ocean and cross Nimitz Street.

To get back to Waikiki, take the following buses:

#2, 13, 19, 20 from Hotel street

For more information please call our Ambassadors of Aloha at 566-2337 or refer guests to their guest services kiosk located in the boat Day Promenade across Chai’s Island Bistro.

Visit TheBus website at http://www.thebus.org.

The E Transit

The City and County of Honolulu's new transit bus service called "The E Transit" provides express services in both directions to and from Waikiki. The E Transit runs every 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the time of day. All E Transit use regular bus stops and the stops are identified by a sign with "The Transit" written on it.

From Waikiki take the following:

# E Downtown / Aala Park and get off at the corner of Alakea and Nimitz.

To get back to Waikiki, take the following:

# E Waikiki from the bus stop in front of the Hawaii Maritime Center at pier 7 on Aloha Tower Drive

Visit the website at http://www.thebus.org/eTransit/eTransit.asp

We've parked overnite at both the lot at pier 5 and the lot up by pier 11. You will receive a notice on the windshield telling you, you may not park overnite, and if you don't move the car, it will be towed. When you exit you will pay $25. Officially, you may not park overnite in these lots, unofficially, people do park there. Keep in mind that you are parking there illegally and the owners of the lot would not be responsible for any damage etc to your car in all probability

Archived