Minor Authorization

shenaniganzz

Even if your child has a passport, you still could be questioned if trying to leave the USA (or return LOL!) by yourself (that is, without both of the child's parents present) (C&BP assumes a child has two biological parents). The passport proves citizenship and identity but does not prove that you are not trying to abduct the child. So yes, taking the BC showing no father would help. Or a court order showing that you have sole custody (which you wouldn't necessariily have or otherwise need- if for instance there was no "father" such as a sperm donor situation, etc.) Is this a hassle and maybe a little absurd? Yes- and you might not even be asked for any documentation. However, if there is an attempted child abduction (involving C&BP) the day before your cruise, they may decide to be very strict and go over all docs with a fine-toothed comb. Take it just to be cautious.

Could the state of FL provide me with this sole custody paper?.... I don't actually reside there most of the time but we do have a home there, & DD, my dad & myself were born there. might be easier & quicker than dealing with the gov. here.

We have taken our grandchildren (who we raised) on 10 cruises with us and have never been asked for the letter. Now I agree they certainly could and that it is better to have it (so we do). I make the letter very simple. Type on paper the dates you will be gone, where you are going, and the fact that the mother, father or both are aware that the child is traveling with you. Have them get the paper signed and notarized.

Could the state of FL provide me with this sole custody paper?.... I don't actually reside there most of the time but we do have a home there, & DD, my dad & myself were born there. might be easier & quicker than dealing with the gov. here.

I think you'd be OK with that BC (since the father's name is not listed). But you could call a lawyer in FL and get advice about getting custody papers (and how much it would cost LOL!). Sometimes all of this legal work seems silly, but if it stops someone from abducting a child, it's worth it! We're investigating all of this because some single mothers (with children) are joining us for our DD's onboard wedding- I want to make sure all of the booked guests do get on the ship! All I need is to have one picky employee who's having a bad day decide to take it out on someone by strictly interpreting every rule in the book!

Do it just to be safe. We were on the Sun at Christmas with our family of five and my wife's parents. We have to put one of our kids in their room so we can all fit. They were checking in right next to us and my daughter was standing with us. The check in agent said we would need to have that notarized form so she could get on board. We replied that we were her parents and she was traveling with us, just staying in their room. She left to get a supervisor and said it was OK to allow her on board. But we had both parents present and still got asked for the form. Just be safe and have it ready.

I haved travelled alone with my sons a few times, if my husband is too busy to travel with us. I have been asked by both Canadian and US Customs for a notorized letter. They asked the boys where there Dad is too.

I did up the letter stating that I have permission to travel with the boys etc. and had it notorized. The lawyer didn't charge me (I know her through business), it only took a minute or two.

My SIL who is a single Mum and does not have contact with her ex, has never been asked at the border or on a cruise for a letter. Luck of the draw I guess.

However, Mexican Custom agents WILL ask, they are very strict.

• 2 weeks later...
NCL's website says:

"If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian a notarized PARENTAL/GUARDIAN CONSENT LETTER that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided. "

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=VisaRequirements#Age

That being said, my kids travel with me and my husband (their stepfather) and I always have my ex husband (the kids' Dad) sign and notarize a consent even though I am quite obviously their legal guardian as their mother. Why? Because you just never know....and I'd rather take a few minutes to have it than to be VERY sorry that I don't. My kids were questioned at a security checkpoint in the airport once because our names aren't the same and I was doubly happy I had that letter with me just in case.

I didn't see where NCL has a copy of the form available....but here is one that I use that I modified a bit to suit my needs. I just took it to my bank with my ex and had it notarized when he signed:

http://seauonboard.com/Parental%20Authorization.htm

Thank you so much! We are traveling on the Pride later this month with my nephew so the seauonboard authorization letter was exactly what we were looking for, since both of his parents won't be with us.

Archived