Cruisin 23rd January 2011.....on the Destiny

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else will be joining us :confused:. I feel so sorry for those who have had holidays cancelled but can't help feeling soooo excited about our cruise on the Destiny for two weeks :D.

Would be interested to find out from those that have already done the caribbean what the weather was like and did they encounter any rough sea days in the caribbean? Any tips or any must do trips would be greatly received.

Sue

Just back (today), submarine trip on Barbados is well worth it, Dolphins on Tortola awesome experience but worth looking into booking it before you go.

On St Martin Maho beach $7ew is a unforgettable experience if you're a daredevil just check there are planes due to arrive and depart.

Island tours are easily picked up on the islands themselves cheaper than off the ship.

Only bad weather was Antigua, seas a bit choppy the second week but nothing most people couldn't manage.

Have a great time enjoy the cooked breakfasts and cream teas and the dress up formal nights and and and lol !!!!!

Say Hi to Suzy,Ben, Richard and Joshua for me (Martin) trust me they'll remember me lol :rolleyes:

Just back (today), submarine trip on Barbados is well worth it, Dolphins on Tortola awesome experience but worth looking into booking it before you go.

On St Martin Maho beach $7ew is a unforgettable experience if you're a daredevil just check there are planes due to arrive and depart.

Island tours are easily picked up on the islands themselves cheaper than off the ship.

Only bad weather was Antigua, seas a bit choppy the second week but nothing most people couldn't manage.

Have a great time enjoy the cooked breakfasts and cream teas and the dress up formal nights and and and lol !!!!!

Say Hi to Suzy,Ben, Richard and Joshua for me (Martin) trust me they'll remember me lol :rolleyes:

Hi Martin

Many thanks for the reply, firstly will certainly say high to the team for you, was this the entertainment crew? Sorry lots of questions now, if you don't mind me asking was you able to use a debit card for your bill or do they only accept credit cards, some say that a debit card cannot be used in the caribbean onboard ships, although the brochure says they accept both :confused:. Who was cruise director? Was the weather nice enough at night-time out on deck or did you need your cardi? We have an inside cabin on deck six, which I have been told is hard to find? don't suppose you found this deck? and of course the obvious question was, are the cabins as small as they say, although we only sleep and change in it. Did you only take dollars with you or was the euro accepted/english?

Think thats it for now, nice to hear you enjoyed your cruise and can't wait for the breakfast, dressing up and the afternoon teas etc....one last thing though, sounds like you were up to mischief :rolleyes:, would you like to elaborate :eek:......

Sue

Hi, Why do you say look into booking the dolphin trip before you go? do they get booked up quickly.:confused:

It is much cheaper to book it privately before you go, and you will be in a much smaller group than on a ship excursion. It is easy to get a taxi there and back. We did this last year.

Google "Dolphin Discovery Tortola", I've tried to include the link but it won't work for some reason.

Maho beach on St. Maarten on New Year's Eve was something else, I still bear the bruises from my bounce and roll up the beach! And where did all our sunglasses and my skirt end up??

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/MahoBay.html

Carol x

Hi lizald

We booked our dolphin swim on Tortola before we went last year and it was a lot cheaper than the Thomson trip, plus there were only 6 of us in a group, so you get to spend a lot more time with the dolphin. We actually walked there and back (we did stop in The Pub(I think that's what is was called??) on the way back) it isn't that far and it's just one road. At The Pub if you go out the back you can sit on a veranda and see over the harbour.

We are going on Destiny again 27th March and doing the 2 weeks again. It is absolutely brilliant. :)

Janet

It is much cheaper to book it privately before you go, and you will be in a much smaller group than on a ship excursion. It is easy to get a taxi there and back. We did this last year.

Google "Dolphin Discovery Tortola", I've tried to include the link but it won't work for some reason.

Maho beach on St. Maarten on New Year's Eve was something else, I still bear the bruises from my bounce and roll up the beach! And where did all our sunglasses and my skirt end up??

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/MahoBay.html

Carol x

Hi Carol,

Do you mean book before we go on the cruise, or before the trip. :)

Yes book the dolphins b4 you go much cheaper just be sure you book the right experience or you might not get the belly tow and you HAVE to do that.

Mind you I didn't pay for the belly tow I got !!

Yes they are the crew that do the quizzes and game shows.

We used a credit card, I think you can use debit cards but I'm not sure.

The CD is Gavin a Scottish man with a good voice.

Apart from Antigua the weather was great at night it does get windy but it's a warm wind so no cardi required tho it does get a bit cold in the Oklahoma so you may need one for in there.

Deck 6 is easy to find just get in a lift and press 6 !!! it's the Destiny not the Oasis lol.

You HAVE to take $US...all the islands on the cruise take them as well their own currency.

Yes the cabins are small and the shower cubicle is tiny, there is enough hanging space tho.

Mischief ???? moi !!!....ask my m8 Josh !

just back from the destiny this morning, 1st time cruising, but wont be our last, will put a review on here before weekend,,PS Mayo Beach was BRILL lol, want to do it again, next time i go i will ask on this forum again, and hopefully will meet some more nicepeople,, Hi Carol & Martin Ho Ho Ho,,, didnt we have fun :D

Hi Sue,

Got back from two weeks on the Destiny this morning. As already reported weather was good, apart from a very rainy day in Antigua and showery weather in Dominica. Also, had one very windy day at sea last Monday, Captain reported it as 6 (apparently 4 is moderate). Few people (Me & hubby included) suffered sea sickness. Couldn't make the Captain's night, which was a shame, although did attend the previous week. Only wore my cardi once in the evening on deck.

We were on Deck 6, inside cabin No. 6032. The cabins are small but adequate. Enough hanging space and plenty of shelving. Asked for more coathangers and these were quickly supplied. Deck 6 is only at the front of the ship, so not accessible from certain stairwells. Deck 6 is located on the red carpet (as opposed to the blue carpet). We found Deck 6 to be lovely and quiet and if you are lucky to get Dani as your stewardess, then she will sort everything out for you.

One tip, on the Monday that you are at sea (sailing from Dominican Republic) try and get a sunbed early as the spaces fill up quite quickly as everyone is on board.

I am sure you will have a great time.

Love

Lyn

xxxx

Welcome home Derek and Sara, have a look at the "16 January Cruise on Destiny" thread further down the page for some more comments on the infamous Maho beach experience. My bruise is now truly spectacular!

Hope you both enjoyed your second week and Sara had a brilliant birthday. We've booked Destiny again for next New Year (26th Dec to 2nd Jan) in the Canaries, she's not going to the Caribbean next winter unfortunately.

Looking forward to your review!

Carol x

Hi Sue,

Got back from two weeks on the Destiny this morning. As already reported weather was good, apart from a very rainy day in Antigua and showery weather in Dominica. Also, had one very windy day at sea last Monday, Captain reported it as 6 (apparently 4 is moderate). Few people (Me & hubby included) suffered sea sickness. Couldn't make the Captain's night, which was a shame, although did attend the previous week. Only wore my cardi once in the evening on deck.

We were on Deck 6, inside cabin No. 6032. The cabins are small but adequate. Enough hanging space and plenty of shelving. Asked for more coathangers and these were quickly supplied. Deck 6 is only at the front of the ship, so not accessible from certain stairwells. Deck 6 is located on the red carpet (as opposed to the blue carpet). We found Deck 6 to be lovely and quiet and if you are lucky to get Dani as your stewardess, then she will sort everything out for you.

One tip, on the Monday that you are at sea (sailing from Dominican Republic) try and get a sunbed early as the spaces fill up quite quickly as everyone is on board.

Love

Lyn

xxxx

Hi, Do You have to pay for the captains night.icon5.gif

Hi Sue,

Love

Lyn

xxxx

Hi Lyn

Glad you had a fab holiday, we have sailed in a gale force 9 travelling to the fjords, so a 4-6 will be a breeze.....:eek: Thanks to everyone else who has replied and still unsure though if we should use our debit card or credit card:confused:. We will be up and ready for the day at sea and look forward to a bit of warm and sunshine. maybe be careful with the AI when trying to find our cabin at night ;). To all those travelling on the 16th, have a fab time.

Sue x

Hi, Do You have to pay for the captains night.icon5.gif

No, it is part of the normal package. You get a invitation to one of the 2 sittings and there are pre-meal cocktails and you can have a photo taken of you with the captain if you wish. It is best to dress up for the occassion with for men at least a dark suit and tie etc. I am taking a dinner jacket, bow tie etc etc.

If you prefer casual clothing the buffet restaurant is open as usual and as on all Thomsons ships smart casual dress is OK for the bars etc etc that evening.

Hi Lyn

Glad you had a fab holiday, we have sailed in a gale force 9 travelling to the fjords, so a 4-6 will be a breeze.....:eek: Thanks to everyone else who has replied and still unsure though if we should use our debit card or credit card:confused:. We will be up and ready for the day at sea and look forward to a bit of warm and sunshine. maybe be careful with the AI when trying to find our cabin at night ;). To all those travelling on the 16th, have a fab time.

Sue x

According to the brochure the cards accepted are:

credit - visa, mastercard, american express

debit - delta, visa, maestro

to complicate matters this is copied from the thomsons website

"Credit cards/Debit cards

Visa, Mastercard/Access and American Express credit cards, and Delta, Visa and Maestro debit cards are accepted on all Thomson ships. Island Escape accepts Visa, Mastercard/Access and American Express credit cards, as well as Visa and Mastercard debit cards"

Hi Sue,

You are issued with a map of the ship which is in your welcome pack in the cabin. Carried this around with me for a couple of days, but soon got the hang of decks etc. Remembered last night (long day after travelling back from Dom Rep!!!) that Deck 6 is the opposite end to the Lido buffet - hope that helps you find your cabin after lunch.

Also, as mentioned above, you do not have to pay for Captain's Night. You are offered a glass of either fizzy wine (Cava I believe), orange juice or a reddish cocktailly thing. Also, once seated in the Can Can lounge awaiting the Captain, more drinks are offered, so you don't go 'dry'. If you are not on AI, then you have to pay for your own wine/drinks with your meal at the Captain's Night.

You will have a wonderful time - Enjoy yourselves.

Love

Lyn

xxx

Deck 6 is the dissappearing deck on Destiny and causes endless confusion because it only occupies the forward part of the ship. The rest of the ship goes direct from deck 5 to deck 7.

Rumour has it that deck 6 mysteriously dissapears at midnight on the last night of the cruise, reappearing 1 hour later minus passengers with all the cabins made up for the next bunch ;)

Some passengers never manage to find their way to the Sky Bar. It has its own seperate lift, staircase and toilets housed in the funnel. You can get to these via Blakes bar and there is also access at the base of the funnel in the buffet area.

No, it is part of the normal package. You get a invitation to one of the 2 sittings and there are pre-meal cocktails and you can have a photo taken of you with the captain if you wish. It is best to dress up for the occassion with for men at least a dark suit and tie etc. I am taking a dinner jacket, bow tie etc etc.

If you prefer casual clothing the buffet restaurant is open as usual and as on all Thomsons ships smart casual dress is OK for the bars etc etc that evening.

Someone told me you had to pay, but now I know Thanks.:)

Archived