Solution to Car Seat Dilema

courteliz24

I just wrote this on another post but I thought I would share it with everyone. I was having the car seat dilema as well to bring one or not.

I did some research and found this Sit n Stroll.

http://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Gold-Str.../dp/B0006UF43M

Its expensive to by brand new but I searched ebay and Craigslist and ended up buying one used for only $25. Now my soon has a restraint for the plane and we can easily take taxis in port. I would suggest looking into used ones if you can find them. I think i saw some on Ebay for $100. I also think some cities even rent them. But if you know other people with babies that travel and you all chip in and can share it. You'll all set.

we used these for traveling with both of our children. I think this March may be the first trip without it as the kids are now 5 and 3... and can use regular boosters.

Not the best "quality" in terms of a rugged stroller, but perfect for travel.

we used these for traveling with both of our children. I think this March may be the first trip without it as the kids are now 5 and 3... and can use regular boosters.

Just curious -- what kind of booster is your 3 year old able to use? I thought kids had to be older for a booster.

Just curious -- what kind of booster is your 3 year old able to use? I thought kids had to be older for a booster.

Yes, OP, please place at least your three year old in a harnessed car seat. In my state, it is not legal to have a child in a booster before 4 and 40 lbs, and a three year old is at much greater risk of serious injuries without a harness.

Actually there are boosters that start at 30 pounds... ours is a full back booster that is designed to start at 30 pounds and 38 inches. The recommended age range is 3-10. It folds in half for travel (to check on a plane) and includes a travel bag.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Compass-Folding-Booster-Seat-True-Blue/5430281

Yes, OP, please place at least your three year old in a harnessed car seat. In my state, it is not legal to have a child in a booster before 4 and 40 lbs, and a three year old is at much greater risk of serious injuries without a harness.

This is the law in my state as well. I've never heard of a 3yo in a booster! Just because they fit the minimum height/weight does NOT mean it is the safest option. We still have our 7yo in a 5pt harness and are in no rush to move to the booster.

Yes, to the prior poster, the minimum age for use is not the same as the safe age for use, and just because it is rated to 30 lbs does not mean that is legal in your state (or the safest choice for your child).

Keep in mind that each "step up" in restraint is a major step down in safety. A child in a rear-facing car seat is 500% safer in a frontal or side impact collision, which are the most dangerous and make up over 90% of all accidents.

Younger than 4-6 years old, kids' vertebrae are not ossified (hardened) and the bones will stretch much more than the spinal cord (which can lead to paralysis or death from internal decapitation). If you've ever seen a crash test video, a frontal impact causes head, arms, and legs to fly out like a rag doll, which is a lot of force for a young body to absorb.

In Sweden, parents routinely rear face kids to 5 years of age, and their rate of serious injury or death for kids in car accidents is a fraction of ours.

With convertible seats on the market rated to 40-45 lbs, it's easy to rear-face your child to 3 years, ideally to 4. The Cosco Scenera 40RF, for example, is available for under $50.

Then a forward-facing harnessed seat is a step down in safety, but a big step up from boosters. The problem with a belt-positioning booster, even a high-back booster, is that it requires the child to sit still, so that the belt is always properly placed in the middle of the collar bone and right across the hips.

The biggest danger with a belt-positioning booster is that it may not sit low enough on the hips for a little one, and if it rides up on the abdomen the child can either slide under it in the event of an impact (submarining), or suffer serious internal abdominal injuries.

There are convertibles and combination seats that allow a child to be harnessed to 80 lbs, which is how race car drivers drive. More points of contact with the body mean less risk of ejection (the major cause of fatality in accidents) or internal injuries.

I just wrote this on another post but I thought I would share it with everyone. I was having the car seat dilema as well to bring one or not.

I did some research and found this Sit n Stroll.

http://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Gold-Str.../dp/B0006UF43M

Its expensive to by brand new but I searched ebay and Craigslist and ended up buying one used for only $25. Now my soon has a restraint for the plane and we can easily take taxis in port. I would suggest looking into used ones if you can find them. I think i saw some on Ebay for $100. I also think some cities even rent them. But if you know other people with babies that travel and you all chip in and can share it. You'll all set.

What a steal!!!! I have been looking for one of these to use for our April cruise, but nothing that inexpensive (or even close0. I'll just keep looking, plenty of time for bargain shopping :)

• 1 year later...
Has anyone researched these? They are rather light weight and easy to use. They are not to be used on board an airplane though.

RideSafer Small Travel Vest Child Restraint System

We have one of these and love it. We are planning to bring it to the Caribbean. HOWEVER, I am working to find a tour operator who has the requirements for the vest. You need either a lap belt and top tether anchor OR a lap and shoulder belt (but not the motorized kind). I am a bit worried about finding one. We may have to wait until we reach the island and see who we find at the dock.

I just read a review for this inflatable booster seat that can be carried in luggage and then inflated at your destination. I'm planning to purchase one for my 8.5 year old (she weighs about 50 lbs) to take with us to Paris in March. We won't be spending much time in vehicles, however, I would prefer that she use a booster - this seems ideal as I can take it in our carry-on bag.

http://www.deliciousbaby.com/journal/2012/jan/10/product-review-bubblebum-inflatable-carseat/

Lisa

People! We just used this on our cruise last week. http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-Conair-Folding-Multi-Use/dp/B0020MMCNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326746018&sr=8-1

It worked really well and was something like $15 at Sam's club!!! We used a bungee cord through the belt path (a tight one) and it worked great! Saved a ton of money over buying the gogo travelmate.

Just FYI- we used our car seat in a taxi in Cozumel. Seatbelts, but no automatic lock offs, so be sure to utilize your lock off clip (we have a Britax Boulevard, so it is built into the car seat- find it and use it). We used buses in Cayman and Jamaica and no car seats are required in buses.

Good luck to all!!!

Has anyone researched these? They are rather light weight and easy to use. They are not to be used on board an airplane though.

RideSafer Small Travel Vest Child Restraint System

ridesafer_alooking_200_travelswithbaby.jpg

!B87nB2QEWk~$(KGrHqN,!hsEzMktDk!tBM4(2JDPk!~~0_12.JPG

4438_ridesafer_car_seat_t.jpeg

We used one of these on our Southern Caribbean cruise last year, and it worked really well. I asked all tour guide ahead of time if they had 3-point seat belts, and prearranged a taxi in St. Thomas for our beach day. One tour guide only had lap belts, which doesn't work for this without also having the tether, so keep that in mind.

It was an absolute life-saver though... not having to lug around a car seat. This folded up and fit in our bag well while we were at the beach, etc. They're legal in the US, so ok to use in cabs to/from the port. You can't use them on a plane though.

Archived