Avignon hotel

NEW 2 CRUISIN

Hello All!

The serach function did not give me any results, so I wanted to ask my fellow travelers...

Can anyone recommend a Hotel in Avignon, France?

Many are available but most of the rankings and "star" levels are the same.

I've read lots of reviews on other websites, but I trust your opinons here a bit more.

Thanks for any first-hand experiences or tips on visiting this city as part of our land tour before heading to Barcelona for our cruise.

Since you did not mention a budget we can easily recommend the Hotel Europe. This is an elegant luxury hotel right inside the walls of the city. We once spent a few nights here during the summer music festival and it was a terrific experience.

Hank

Thanks Hank and Moyaroo!

My bad! I should have included the budget info.

I definitely ruled out Hotel d'Europe and La Mirande based on price alone.

They are by far much higher priced per night than every other hotel I looked at in Avignon.

I'd love some first-hand recommendations for hotels or B+Bs in the 100-120 Euro range, as I am convinced anything less would not be acceptable, based solely on other online reviews. I'm prepared to pay more for a better hotel in Europe than I would here in the States, but 200-400 Euros is just too much for our bank!

We're looking for 2 nights in September.

Sorry for the confusion! :)

Hello All! The serach function did not give me any results, so I wanted to ask my fellow travelers...Can anyone recommend a Hotel in Avignon, France? Many are available but most of the rankings and "star" levels are the same. I've read lots of reviews on other websites, but I trust your opinons here a bit more. Thanks for any first-hand experiences or tips on visiting this city as part of our land tour before heading to Barcelona for our cruise.

Are you going to have a car during some of the time in Avignon? With a car, you have more flexibility on where you can stay and what else you can see that is nearby to Avignon and these charming Provence areas. Below are some notes on Avignon and nearby. How much time will you have in Provence?

AVIGNON is "one of the great art cities of France". Its old part of town has the Papal Palace, seat of Popes 1309-1377, street musicians perform near palace; art museum in Place du Palais open Wednesday through Monday, population of 87,000, town is on Rhone River. Once the religious, political and financial capital, Avignon is today a cultural capital and plays host annually in July to the largest festival of live theatre in the world. It has some of the best example of Gothic architecture in Europe.

Car travel to such nearby areas as ARLES, highest priority area city with Roman ruins, including 20,000 seat arena where bull fights are held in the summer; founded 49 B.C. by Julius Caesar, population of 52,000, Van Gogh's former home. Tarascon has its 15th century castle. LES BAUX is a very neat medieval village with great views that has no major population now, but tourist flock to soak up its history and great views. You should dine right near there at L'Oustau de Beaumaniere for ONE OF THE BEST MEALS YOU CAN HAVE IN FRANCE (lunch is more affordable).

This website gives some excellent info on the area, plus this excellent Michelin two-star rated dining place:

http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/search-book/hotel-restaurant/oustau/region

NIMES was settled 121 B.C. and has a population of 140,000. Around the time of Julius Caesar, Nimes was a bustling city on the strategic Via Domitia linking Rome to Iberia/Spain. Nimes's arena, temple and nearby aqueduct are among the best-preserved in all of the former empire. Cars are banished from the compact old city dotted with other ruins, enhancing the feel of yesteryear. The Maison Carre is an almost impossibly pristine Roman temple.

ST. REMY has its Roman ruins, a population of 9000 and is the setting of world-famous literature. Saint-Remy is one of the most representative of Provençal towns and allows the visitor to appreciate the true charm of this oft-celebrated region of the country. It comes as no surprise that Saint Remy, like Cannes or Saint Tropez, is a destination for many well-known personalities. This Gallo-Roman village is on the plains 20 km south of Avignon. Residents more recent than the Romans include Dr. Schweitzer, Dr. Nostradamus and Van Gogh. The picturesque, old village is protected by the circular 14th-century wall which is lined by its protective circle of buildings. Its dolphin fountain is located in the shaded square in front of a 16th century old convent. This is a busy, active village, with a good selection of restaurants and hotels for the traveller. Among the shops are a few with some regional pottery, including some beautiful sunflower plates influenced by Van Gogh. The road between St. Remy and the autoroute (at Cavaillon, 17 km to the east) is a scenic drive out of the past: the road is lined by plane trees.

PONT DU GARD (Roman aqueduct/bridge) to the west of Avignon is a must see with its well-preserved history and beautiful setting. Saturday AM market at Uzes near Pont du Gard can be totally charming and wonderful.

CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE translates as "New Castle of the Pope" and is entwined with papal history. When in 1308, Pope Clement V, former Archbishop of Bordeaux, relocated the papacy to the city of Avignon, future "Avignon Popes" did much to promote wine growing, especially the viticulture in the 5–10 km north of Avignon area close to the banks of the Rhône River. The blend is usually predominantly Grenache for this area. Wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr. has promoted the wines of Châteauneuf and helped inflate their populartiry and price. A 2007 New York Times story noted: “A good Châteauneuf-du-Pape is first and foremost a wine-lover's wine. Other wines can give you gloss and symmetry, the sort of good looks that are obvious even if you aren't much of a wine drinker. But Châteauneuf does not lend itself to smoothness and polish.”

Try good Provence website of:

http://www.provencebeyond.com

Try Avignon’s official tourism office:

http://www.avignon-et-provence.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are two views in Avignon in connection with the Papal Palace that is the most historic part of this central town in Provence.:

AvignonGothicBuildings.jpg

ProvenceAvignonPopePalace.jpg

Here we are walking in Nimes towards its Roman arena. There are nearby historic temple and aqueduct structures that are among the best-preserved in all of the former empire. Cars are banished from the compact old city dotted with other ruins, enhancing the feel of yesteryear. The Maison Carre is an almost impossibly pristine Roman temple in Nimes.:

ProvenceArenaWalk.jpg

In the heart of Provence, this is the famed Roman-built Pont du Gard. It's an amazing engineering accomplishment:

ProvPontGardWide.jpg

In Saint Remy, this is one of most important Roman ruins/relics in Provence.:

ProvenceRomanRuins2.jpg

Famed painter Vincent Van Gogh had many ties to Provence and here is a monument to him in Arles. Many of his best works of art were done in this scenic area.:

ProvenceVVGogh.jpg

If you have any interest in wine check out

http://www.avignon-wine-tour.com/

We did one of these tours in April and felt that it was the single best tour that we've ever taken. It was a mixture of sightseeing and wine tasting. We had tastings at four different places. The tours are 75euro. Lunch is not included but we had an excellent three course meal with wine for ~15euro.

Again, I strongly recommend these tours.

Are you going to have a car during some of the time in Avignon? With a car, you have more flexibility on where you can stay and what else you can see that is nearby to Avignon and these charming Provence areas. Below are some notes on Avignon and nearby. How much time will you have in Provence?

Hi Terry!

I still visit your pictures of France often!

We will be arriving to Avignon by train from Paris, for a 2 day stay before continuing on to Barcelona (also by train from Avignon).

We'd love to stay right inside the walls of Avignon so everything is walkable. For a town that can be walked end to end in less than 30 minutes, there are over 50 hotels and B+B's to choose from -- most with the same 2* rating.

I was hoping to get some good first hand experiences to make our decision as informed as it can be!

UPDATE: After doing extensive online research and reading many suggestions and reviews, etc., my first choice (De l'Horloge Hotel) was not available the days I needed to stay! :eek: HAHA!

So...on to the next round! I had it narrowed down to 2 others and finally decided that Hotel Garlande was the place for us! Seems to get good reviews from all the sites I checked, and the location is perfect - just off the main road inside the walls of the old City!

Also booked my Paris and Barcelona hotels this weekend too, so now just need to get airfare lined up and the Cruise will be here in no time! :D

Thanks again to all for the feedback!

• 1 year later...

There are too many hotels in Avignon. I was there last year in july and I stayed in hotel Boquier. This is the one of the best hotel in Avignon. They provide superb facilities and main thing is that it is located at primary location. Hotel d’Europe is also good. Now it’s on you where you would like to stay.

Archived