houston to galveston?

If you are all flying in then you might look into renting a shuttle bus which would work out to fairly cheap for all of you. My DH and I are going in Jan and it is actually pretty expensive to take shuttles to and from the airport so we've decided to rent a car for our whole trip of 10 days and it actually works out being cheaper. We managed to get a hotel that includes Parking so no extra cost there. There is a greyhound type bus that leaves as well but depending on your flight times it may not work out.

We took the Carnival shuttle when we went on the Conquest, we would us it again. Just make sure your flight out at the end is later in the day if possible. Its about an hour and a half depending on traffic. If you want to drive, Enterprise used to have a return place within a few blocks of the port building, that was a few years ago.

In case you don't know there are two airports that serve Houston, Bush Intercontinental IAH on the north side, and Hobby HOU on the south side. IAH is larger of the two by far, but HOU is still a reasonably sized airport, Southwest is the principal airline that serves Hobby, be aware they only book tickets direct, not through online agents.

Hobby is a lot closer to Galveston than IAH. From IAH to the cruise terminal, you are probably looking at an hour and a half- maybe more, if traffic is bad. From Hobby, you are probably looking at closer to 45 mins.

Where is Virginia are you from? We located from Woodbridge to Houston a couple of years ago, and my husband grew up in Reston.

The Carnival bus would be your best bet. I used to work at the cruise ship terminal in Galveston and assisted the passengers with the Carnival bus as well as the various other charter busses. If memory serves, the Carnival bus would go to both airports and pick people up that were coming down to Galveston for the cruise.

With all due respect to the people who suggested the Carnival bus, you should be able to do the trip more economically by hiring your own car and driver. We found listings on the website of the Houston Limousine Association (http://www.houstonlimos.info/active-members.asp) and sent out a blast email to about 40 or 50 companies requesting a quote for taxis, town cars and limos.

We ended up getting a town car and it cost us something like $125 plus tip. If there are six of you, you'll probably want a full limo. Just make sure you indicate the size of your party and amount of luggage you'll expect to bring. The beauty of hiring a car and driver is that they come to you at an agreed-upon time.

We flew into IAH the night before, stayed at an airport hotel and then waited in the lobby until our town car showed up exactly as promised. It was cheap, easy, comfortable and fun. I think we could have had a full limo for another $60 or so, but we couldn't really justify the extra cost. Maybe next time.

With all due respect to the people who suggested the Carnival bus, you should be able to do the trip more economically by hiring your own car and driver. We found listings on the website of the Houston Limousine Association (http://www.houstonlimos.info/active-members.asp) and sent out a blast email to about 40 or 50 companies requesting a quote for taxis, town cars and limos.

We ended up getting a town car and it cost us something like $125 plus tip. If there are six of you, you'll probably want a full limo. Just make sure you indicate the size of your party and amount of luggage you'll expect to bring. The beauty of hiring a car and driver is that they come to you at an agreed-upon time.

We flew into IAH the night before, stayed at an airport hotel and then waited in the lobby until our town car showed up exactly as promised. It was cheap, easy, comfortable and fun. I think we could have had a full limo for another $60 or so, but we couldn't really justify the extra cost. Maybe next time.

I agree...since you have six people in your group, this would be a cheaper option, and it would get you there quicker and probably more comfortably. You could probably get a limo.

Bags fly free on Southwest! Well, OK, two bags per person, with restrictions.

For 6 people, I'd check rates with Supershuttle. They don't normally go to the port, but you can charter a van and they will.

Actually Super Shuttle does go according to another post all about this information in this same thread. There was informations stating that renting the van might be cheaper but there were concerns about the amount of luggage.

• 3 weeks later...
Super Shuttle for 7 from Hobby to Galveston-van for just us- is $101. Same from cruise port back to Hobby. Just got these prices tonight.

And I think their quoted price includes driver tip. It did for me for my upcoming March cruise.

So, Super shuttle does go from the airport to Galveston port? Do you HAVE to reserve it ahead, or can you just catch it when you arrive at airport?

Don't know. I have it chartered for pick up at a hotel near the airport. Maybe the Super Shuttle web page will tell you. Let us know if you find out. Thanks.

We found a shuttle from IAH (Bush International Airport) to RCI at Galveston port -- it will be a van and is $80 plus tip of suggested 15% for the two of us. It is Galveston Limousine. It may be a little more for non-seniors. They allow 2 hours for trip, because it is a shared transport. We will be taking the May 1 Transatlantic, so will be flying back to Phoenix.

We found a shuttle from IAH (Bush International Airport) to RCI at Galveston port -- it will be a van and is $80 plus tip of suggested 15% for the two of us. It is Galveston Limousine. It may be a little more for non-seniors. They allow 2 hours for trip, because it is a shared transport. We will be taking the May 1 Transatlantic, so will be flying back to Phoenix.

Wave bye to the Voyager OTS for me. I'll miss her, even though the Mariner OTS is a similar ship.

Wife, me, daughter, son-in-law and 3 kids on Mariner of the Seas from Galveston on Feb. 26, 2012. Will fly into George Bush the day before and attempt a relatively inexpensive shuttle to Galveston for departure on the 26th. I don't want to have the trip to the port be more expensive than the cruise!!:mad:

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Neal

PS - I gotta get rid of this "Sailed!" thing and put a couple new ones in. Any help?

... I gotta get rid of this "Sailed!" thing and put a couple new ones in. Any help?

Done!

For future reference, click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1162911 for the Sticky titled How to delete countdown clock/ticker?

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

We use Z-Limousine. They provide excellent service from Hobby to the cruise port and return. We have used them three cruises and always on time service. Fabi charges $97.00 plus tip for the driver from Hobby to the cruise port (or hotel on Galveston island). There are just the two of us, so I do not know what he charges for more. Google him and call them.

hypo

• 1 year later...

Thanks. Son is getting married on august and we live by hobby and instead of all of us driving we want to rent a van/bus for wedding party that is cruising(25). Doing research now.

Archived