Why bother with Carlos and Charly's or Señor Frogs?

Dena

I have never thought it was so loud you could not carry on a conversation. Its not like going to a nightclub for late night dancing

where you really cannot hear yourself over the DJ.:eek:

Booths, tables and chairs, they serve food, drinks and fun:)

Different strokes for different folks:)

I sometimes read reviews from people who go ashore only to visit one of these places. I've never been to either one, but if they are just bars, why bother? The ship has lots of bars that are easier to get to. Is the atmosphere of these places special enough to be worth the trouble. I admit I'm not much of of a drinker and rarely visit bars either at home or on vacation, so maybe I just don't get it.

"Why bother"? "worth the trouble"? "just don't get it"?

You really don't have to agree with how people choose to spend their day. Don't try to figure it out. Do what YOU like to do.

Because you might like a smoke free quiet bar, doesn't make me ask, "Why in earth would this person sit here?"

I think,

"I'm glad this person is having the time of their life."

Enjoy yourself in how ever you choose to spend your time!:D

That was actually CLOSED for reconstruction while I was there. They were rebuilding that entranceway and you did have to go through the souveneir shop to get to the restaurant.

I had no idea... my bad! :) I stand corrected. :)

I think the OP was wondering if people would give information that they didn't have...i.e.

Oh, conch fritters are the best there, or beers are $1, or someone collects t shirts from every port.

I wondered the attraction myself. Different strokes for different folks...if people didn't ask questions, what would the point of a message board be?

I've been to Cozumel many times, mostly for the good drift snorkeling, but my only visit to a Senor Frogs was there -- to use the free internet. I probably spent an hour or so with my computer, as it was toward the end of the cruise where I had not opened an account, and I thought it a better use of my time than walking aimlessly around a port I've visited many times. However, the experience turned into a lot more than just saving money. The whole visit was a hoot.

I am well into my 60's, and never visited bars even when I was younger. However, Frogs was jammed with the 20- and 30- something crowd, clearly enjoying their booze, and kicking up a storm of singing and dancing. It was indeed hard to concentrate on my email. I found the entire experience enjoyable -- even memorable (and, yes, I've visited most of world's top museums). You do not have to be bar hopper to take pleasure in young people entertaining themselves, and that was certainly the case that afternoon at Frogs. Heck, I'm reminded of that visit every time I see YMCA on TV.

Bill

"Why bother"? "worth the trouble"? "just don't get it"?

You really don't have to agree with how people choose to spend their day. Don't try to figure it out. Do what YOU like to do.

Because you might like a smoke free quiet bar, doesn't make me ask, "Why in earth would this person sit here?"

I think,

"I'm glad this person is having the time of their life."

Enjoy yourself in how ever you choose to spend your time!:D

Amen ! Preach on!

When we go to the Caribbean, we usually go for a WARM rest! A lot of times we just get off for two-three hours and wander, come back to an empty ship, have a wonderful lunch (as good or better than paying more on shore), enjoy an EMPTY poolside, or take advantage of one of the spa specials offered on port days. Sometimes we just go to a beach. We seldom eat on shore, since food is usually a rip-off. If you really want a drink, sometimes it can be a bit less expensive on shore...."eat on board, drink on shore".

Good advice. That is exactly what we do!!

I sometimes read reviews from people who go ashore only to visit one of these places. I've never been to either one, but if they are just bars, why bother? The ship has lots of bars that are easier to get to. Is the atmosphere of these places special enough to be worth the trouble. I admit I'm not much of of a drinker and rarely visit bars either at home or on vacation, so maybe I just don't get it.

I go because I like to and enjoy seeing people have fun on their vacation. Being silly and happy is fun to see for me. No problem there.:):):)

Last year, we stopped at Senior Frogs near the pier at Cozumel.

We each had a drink (and if my memories are correct, it was just Diet Coke, lol) and I enjoyed swimming there, only a few steps away from the cruise ship.

There wasb't too much partying going on, it was just nice to be there, enjoying some sand and sea, with the Liberty OTS in the background, knowing we wouldn't have to walk far anymore to get back onboard.

And yes, we could have gotten that drink on board also, but then I couldn't have been swimming in the sea!

Archived