Reasonable Expectations?

Cruise Neophyte

My wife and sons (ages 9 and 7) are going on our first cruise in two weeks. We are sailing on HAL’s Westerdam out of Ft.Lauderdale and have an S-class suite. Before selecting HAL and this cruise, we did a fair amount of research on cruises in general and this ship in particular. While we expect to have a good time, we also anticipate that the cruise will never live up to the expectations that HAL (or any other cruise line) sets with it advertising, brochures and web site.

Based on our research, we expect to:

• Wait in line during embarkation – patience will be tested.

• Be harangued by photographers taking pictures we will not buy.

• Occupy a room that isn’t as big as it appears when photographed using a wide angle lens but is still larger than those offered by other cruise lines.

• Not be able to book a spa appointment for an “at sea” day.

• Eat food that is comparable to that served at a banquet in a good hotel – nice enough but not haute cuisine.

• Be served by a waiter who is struggling to keep up with his 20 passengers and must rush service to ensure the food is served and the table turned in time for the second seating – nice guy but a little stressed out.

• Be told that the restaurant has run out of the most traditional dishes – chicken and steak – by the fifth day.

• Select wines that, while reasonably priced, are on a list that is underwhelming in its variety and quality.

• Watch entertainment that is of mixed quality (but then again, if you want Broadway, what are you doing on a cruise ship?).

• Smell the occasional sewage-like odor (this has appeared in at least 3 reviews over the last year).

• Wait in line to disembark for a day trip (if we want to be first ashore, suggesting that it might make sense to wait to go ashore a little later in the day).

• Be in reasonably diverse company – if we include the crew in our definition of “company”. Otherwise, our company will be made up of mostly white, mostly “mature” (i.e., 50+), mostly middle- and upper-middle class people from all across America. We don’t expect to see a ton of kids (200 out of 1800 passengers?).

• Become a little irritated at the “nickel and diming” that takes place in an attempt to make up revenue lost due to fare discounts. We’re aware of charges for booze, soft drinks (but not juice or milk?!?), use of spa facilities, bingo cards, internet access, phone usage, video games. . . what else?

Expecting all of the above, we still decided to go on this particular cruise and we’re looking forward to it! We’re the kind of people that prefer to know what we’re getting into and we’re not big fans of surprises, particularly unpleasant surprises. Have we reasonably captured the “reality” of cruising? Are there other things we should expect (or brace ourselves for)?

Thanks

I think I like the way you are going into your vacation - very similar to what we do. I think by making huge expectations it leads to disappointment - something you don't want to deal with on vacation. Based on what you are expecting..I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the least (as we have been) and will have a great time.

We had similar expectations when we cruised on the Zuiderdam in Dec - we are booked again on the Zui - same s Suite next weekend and looking forward to it.

I too am a first-timer on HAL and also cruising in an S suite in April. There are perks to being in an S suite, one of which is priority tender tickets. As far as waiting in line is concerned during embarkation, I would think how much time would depend upon what time you arrive at the terminal. Also, it is my understanding that suite passengers receive gold "stars" so to speak which identify them to HAL shore personnel and that everything that can be done to expedite boarding is done so. If you have indeed researched your cruise and the suite that you have booked, you will be aware that at approximately 500+ SF (unless you are in an AFT S suite which I understand are a tad smaller), the room will indeed be quite big, particularly when compared to other cruise lines, so I am confused as to why this would be in a list of what I call "lowered expectations".

Why would you not be able to book a SPA appointment for a sea day? It is my understanding that the concierges in the Neptune Lounge can assist with making reservations if necessary. DH and I have cruised for the past 20 years and it has been my experience (or maybe luck) that if I head to the spa immediately upon boarding, I have not had a problem getting appointments for the day/time that I wish. I have not yet experienced HAL, but am hoping that if I follow my usual routine, I will be able to book appointments the day of embarkation and then not have to think about it again.

As far as reasonable expectations are concerned, expect to have a fabulous time and you will do so.

I hope that experienced HAL cruisers will weigh in on this particular topic as well. The posters on this board have a wealth of information to share and their insight and comments were one of the reasons that we choose HAL for our 36th anniversary cruise.

Lin

Welcome to the HAL board!

DW and I made our first ever cruise on Maasdam (S class, not Vista) in an S suite last November and after researching the heck out of the subject for months, our expectations were very high, and were mostly (90-95%) met. I would say this about your list:

-As noted, S-suite pax have certain perks. Get to know your Neptune concierge. He/she will smooth off many rough edges. Priority embark/disembark is one.

-The cabin on Maasdam was huge for the two of us. I cannot imagine sharing it with 2 others, Dear Sons or not. It may feel smaller than it is.

-The wine list was surprisingly good, with selections across the spectrum of type and cost. By-the-glass selection was OK.

-10 day cruise: never ran out of anything, foodwise.

-Usually had to go out of our way to be photographed. Otherwise, photogs were easily avoided.

-Did not feel "nickel & dimed' any more than I do at any other non-all-inclusive hotel/resort.

-DW spent a fair amount of time in the spa with a friend made onboard, with no difficulty. She also made friends with one of the spa personnel.

Try to have a great cruise. I look forward to your review when you return.

Cheers

MarkB

You will probably have some very nice surprises - based on your rather conservative expectations.

One surprise you may not like:

The average age of Caribbean Cruisers is very low around Easter holiday -regardless of the cruise line.

Your estimate of 200 children is off by about 200. You will probably see the Simpsons, the Griswolds, and all their friends, children, and young families.

The average overall age for passengers on your cruise will be about 46.

The average age of Caribbean Cruisers is very low around Easter holiday -regardless of the cruise line.

Your estimate of 200 children is off by about 200. You will probably see the Simpsons, the Griswolds, and all their friends, children, and young families.

Best reason I've heard for NOT cruising during school holiday periods.

Based on our HAL cruises, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. We have always found that the friendliness and good humor of all the crew to be outstanding. And talking about nickle and diming, remember the ice cream is free, very good, and usually available about 12 hours a day!

is actually part of your ship's card. It's light copper on a white background and hard to see unless you're looking for it. All suite pax get this card, it's slightly different from cards in other accomodations. I hardly noticed it until the concierge pointed it out to me.

The suite is large. It's not rectangular like other cabins; decidedly square with a very efficient use of space.

Priority tendering means not waiting for a number to be called, just going to the gangway, usually forward on A deck. If there is a line there when you're going ashore on your own, you can't jump the line, but it beats waiting in the lounge for a number to be called.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Having a table for 4 on you veranda is quite a treat. Great for breakfast especially.

Happy sailing.

GN

Boarding.jpg.664fb99077ddfc42098187c8bb6cdbcc.jpg

Based on my personal experience, I believe you will be plesantly surprized.

Suite passengers have a seperate check in desk and priority embarkation. In my experience, there have been two people assigned to check in suite passengers. There has really never been any sort of line.

If you head directly to the spa on embarkation day, you should have no problem booking appointments for any treatment on any day. The appointments I like to firm up are hair appointments for formal night. They tend to fill up quickly. Otherwise the concierge should be able to help you set up other appointments.

I do not know about the quality of the wine stocked on board.

I have never sailed on a Vista Class ship, however the Suites on HAL ships are very large. I do not think you will be disappionted.

Suite passengers are entitled to priority tendering. This means you have acess to any tender at any time. However once you get to the deck where people are boarding the tender, you have to wait in that particular line.

We enjoy having our picture taken. We have even asked the photographer to take our picture. Since there is no pressure from anyone to buy the pictures we see it as a great opportunity to get some great photos. That is just our perspective. I have never seen the photographers force anyone to have their picture taken.

As far as nickel and diming. It all depends on what you choose to buy. Beverages that are served from a bar are not included in your package. This includes soda and all alcoholic beverages. Everything else is served at no additional cost. On Vista class ships, I beleive specialty coffee is served at an additional cost. Try the coffee in the Neptune Lounge. It is exceptional and a Suite perk. Ice cream is included. The list goes on and on.

Again, this is based on my personal experience. It doesn't take a lot to make me happy. I have a very positive attitude and I admit I approach my cruise expecting to really enjoy myself. I always do. The concierge is invaluable. Your room steward will also help you and so will every other person working on the ship.

One of the secrets to having a good time is treat the people who are working to make your cruise wonderful well. They are hard working dedicated professionals. Treat them with respect and they will do the same.

Linda

Based on our research, we expect to:

Wait in line during embarkation – patience will be tested. NOT IN AN S; but even others don't wait these days, as embarkation starts at 11:30. We walked right on at noon.

Be harangued by photographers taking pictures we will not buy. YOU NEED TO GO TO THEM GENERALLY. I would recommend going to the white background photographers, as the pictures, especially with kids, come out great and are posed in unique ways.

Occupy a room that isn’t as big as it appears when photographed using a wide angle lens but is still larger than those offered by other cruise lines. S SUITES are pretty big.

Not be able to book a spa appointment for an “at sea” day. WE ALWAYS BOOK THESE FIRST THING WHEN WE GET ONBOARD; if you don't want it, you can cancel it later.

Eat food that is comparable to that served at a banquet in a good hotel – nice enough but not haute cuisine. THE FOOD IS very good, but it is not the equivalent of a $75/person dinner in NYC.

Be served by a waiter who is struggling to keep up with his 20 passengers and must rush service to ensure the food is served and the table turned in time for the second seating – nice guy but a little stressed out. NOPE. SERVICE is their hallmark.

Be told that the restaurant has run out of the most traditional dishes – chicken and steak – by the fifth day. NEVER HAPPENS; and you can always order a steak or salmon if you don't like the choices. Also, if your kids like something in particular, ask the waiter and they will make it again for you as often as you like! My kids get the Italian Wedding Soup (with meatballs) on multiple nights.

Select wines that, while reasonably priced, are on a list that is underwhelming in its variety and quality. THE WINE list is decent. Ask your steward what else he has as they often have other wines that are not listed.

Watch entertainment that is of mixed quality (but then again, if you want Broadway, what are you doing on a cruise ship?). THE MAGICIANS, COMEDIANS, etc. are generally very good. The dancing/broadway review stuff is not for me (but I have Broadway 30 minutes away).

Smell the occasional sewage-like odor (this has appeared in at least 3 reviews over the last year). HAVE BEEN on twice and have never noticed this.

Wait in line to disembark for a day trip (if we want to be first ashore, suggesting that it might make sense to wait to go ashore a little later in the day). S Passengers have priority. No waiting.

Be in reasonably diverse company – if we include the crew in our definition of “company”. Otherwise, our company will be made up of mostly white, mostly “mature” (i.e., 50+), mostly middle- and upper-middle class people from all across America. We don’t expect to see a ton of kids (200 out of 1800 passengers?). PROBABLY TRUE, but the crew is terrific. Also, the older people don't frequent the gym.

Become a little irritated at the “nickel and diming” that takes place in an attempt to make up revenue lost due to fare discounts. We’re aware of charges for booze, soft drinks (but not juice or milk?!?), use of spa facilities, bingo cards, internet access, phone usage, video games. . . what else? THESE ARE ALL OPTIONAL. THERE IS NO charge for the gym, only the classes (and some are free).

You will have a great time. Enjoy! My kids love cruising.

Cruise Neophyte, I believe you are on the same cruise we are. We are goin on the Westerdam March 13th. Yes some of those things you mentioned could happen but I agree that you should be quite surprised. This will be our 4th HAL cruise and our 3rd on a Vista Class ship. We have been on the Zuirderdam and the Oosterdam. We have also cruised on RCL and found HAL to be much better.

Going and knowing there could be problems is probably the best way. I think so many go thinking it will be perfect. Unfortunately No vacation is Perfect.:o

Come join us on the Roll Call Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=45717

Cruise Neophyte, we'll be there too! We're new to the cruise thing as well - my FIL is taking the family for his birthday - we're with a group of about 25 people, so our experience might be different in some ways (a little more hectic than I might wish, I expect). We have an 8 year old son and 10 year old daughter, so maybe we'll run into you at Club HAL?

I have been reading these boards for a while, and this is the first time I've posted. I think your concerns are valid, but it seems to me they're small details of the overall experience. I also think the people who gripe might be more experienced (and therefore jaded) cruise consumers, or people who go into it with unrealistic expectations.

Since it's our first time I'm hoping not to feel aggravated by any of it and just have fun getting out of the last week of winter and being with my kids. (The in-laws are another story ;)). I hope to have a pina colada in my hand at least once a day, and be lying out on a gorgeous beach while my colleagues slog to the office at least 4 times.

See you there!

• Wait in line during embarkation – patience will be tested.

• as previously mentioned your wait for suite check in will be minimal at worst, non exsistant at best. There were literally only 2 people in line for suite check in when we got there at around 11:15. Even in the regular web form line it took maybe 10 minutes tops. be organized. have your papers ready. it will be easy.

• Be harangued by photographers taking pictures we will not buy.
  • you might find one or two you like. the only time we got stuck being snapped was embarkation which took about 2 seconds and on formal night where we easily could have said no thanks. every other time we just kept walking.

• Occupy a room that isn’t as big as it appears when photographed using a wide angle lens but is still larger than those offered by other cruise lines.
  • perhaps true but the 4 of us were fine in our 1079 on deck 1. the bunk beds were acutally pretty fun.

• Not be able to book a spa appointment for an “at sea” day.
  • says who? thats when I had mine. booked it the first afternoon.

• Eat food that is comparable to that served at a banquet in a good hotel – nice enough but not haute cuisine.
  • Depends where you eat and what you pick. Pinacle is supposed to be amazing. I would rate the food above hotel food but below really really nice restruant.

• Be served by a waiter who is struggling to keep up with his 20 passengers and must rush service to ensure the food is served and the table turned in time for the second seating – nice guy but a little stressed out.
  • perhaps true but they can't do enogh for you. and we never felt rushed to get out of there, often finishing dinner and lingering over tea and multiple desserts.

• Be told that the restaurant has run out of the most traditional dishes – chicken and steak – by the fifth day.
  • not on my cruise last week. my brother had room service chicekn the very last night at about 10pm.

• Select wines that, while reasonably priced, are on a list that is underwhelming in its variety and quality.
  • could'nt tell you. we brought our own.

• Watch entertainment that is of mixed quality (but then again, if you want Broadway, what are you doing on a cruise ship?).
  • mixed quality in that everyone has their own opinion, yes siree.

• Smell the occasional sewage-like odor (this has appeared in at least 3 reviews over the last year).
  • true. although I may have smelled it because I was looking for it. my mom only commented on it once there was a letter in our room apologizing for it.

• Wait in line to disembark for a day trip (if we want to be first ashore, suggesting that it might make sense to wait to go ashore a little later in the day).
  • depends. on half moon cay day we went around 9 and didn't even need a ticket. we just were sent from the Queen's lounge. the rush started at 930. if you are awake, head out. Also if the lines to get down the stairs are long and slow moving, take the elevator. It spits you out practically at the start of the line. And have your cards out!

• Be in reasonably diverse company – if we include the crew in our definition of “company”. Otherwise, our company will be made up of mostly white, mostly “mature” (i.e., 50+), mostly middle- and upper-middle class people from all across America. We don’t expect to see a ton of kids (200 out of 1800 passengers?).
  • pretty much true, from what I saw.

• Become a little irritated at the “nickel and diming” that takes place in an attempt to make up revenue lost due to fare discounts. We’re aware of charges for booze, soft drinks (but not juice or milk?!?), use of spa facilities, bingo cards, internet access, phone usage, video games. . . what else?
  • the casino, obviously. i would recomend internet in port stops if you can go a day or two without it. Don't pay more than 15 cents a minute though. I know all the good spots if you need more info on this.

you will have a great time!

Archived