Florence on a Monday

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by itsjb1:
I am looking for ideas of what there is to do with a stop in Livorno on a Monday. I understand that most of the museums in Florence are closed.

Thanks for your help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SHOP..[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]Sorry I could resist that.There is plenty to do and see in Florence..just walking around is a treat IMHO.You will see.Enjoy.

Karen
Ü

Although some of the big name museums will be closed if you only have a day, you will find plenty to in Florence. I'm sure most of the churches and other monuments will still be open and as another poster mentioned it is a fantastic city just to walk around and take in the atmosphere.

Be sure to find the bronze wild boar and rub his nose and you will return to Florence again or so goes the legend. My wife and I made sure we found it. It is in the Straw Market near the Loggia Del Porcellino.

Have a GREAT next cruise.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib
Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib
HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib
Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib
HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal
RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib
Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib
HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib
Golden Princess 07/03 Med
Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib
HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

When we were in Florence on a Monday our group of 9 split up and 1/2 went to the Duomo (sp?) and our half went to the Synagogue of Florence.

If you are interested in seeing something a bit different than another church (sorry don't mean to offend) this is a beautiful building. There is also a small museum there as well.
They have an English tour guide who can give you some interesting information about the history of the Jewish community of Florence which is over 2000 years old.

Just look for the big green dome... We were able to walk there from the Duomo.

Susan

Splendour of the Seas - August 9, 2003

We were also in Florence on a Monday last July. We had a great day. In fact I think the Uffizi and Accademia being closed took some of the pressure off. We walked from the train station to the Duomo. Went up the Campanile. Then over to the Bargello Museum, a real gem. We found an incredible garden shop/florists on the way from the Bargello to P.Signoria (my wife loves gardening), I think it was on Piazza S.Firenze, the cafe on the corner of Via de Gondi was an oasis from the heat. The Piazza della Signoria was very impressive, We also rubbed the boar's nose. We went onto the Ponte Vecchio and looked into the gold shops. I can't wait to see the Uffizi and Accademia on a future trip! You see there are silver linings, we have to go again!

• 2 weeks later...
Ditto to Catandave!

Being in Florence on a Monday totally took the pressure off to see the museums. I was just there two mondays ago and there was so much to see, you can't get it all done even without seeing the Piti Palace, Uffizi and the Accademia. Enjoy it and realize you will just have to go back. You will want to go back after just one day - it is fabulous! We used driverinrome.com for our day in Florence and we really enjoyed it!

Archived