trying to get a group together for an excursion

Hi Everyone

My husband and I are going on a Caribbean cruise in March. In an attempt to save some money, we were hoping to limit the number of ship excursions and try to book with tour companies directly. I'm finding that some of these tour companies require groups of 10 or more, and recommend that we organize the group and make the booking. I'm concerned that we could get stuck for the full cost of the tour and I'm not quite sure I want to spend part of my vacation organizing a tour. Has anyone ever tried to bring a group together for an island excursion? If so, was it successful and would you do it again.

Thanks!

Check out your roll call. I'm doing a solo cruise this time to the Caribbean and the ship stops at Samana, DR and St. Kitts - both ports I have no experience with and have absolutely no desire to wander around by myself. I joined two different groups for tours on these islands that include sightseeing, lunch, and beach. Dominica is another island I have gone on tours from the roll call. St. Martin and St. Thomas are easier because there are lots of good tour companies that will put together groups of cruisers.

I've been on bus tours on many of these islands and I really prefer going with a smaller group in a van. It takes time to move a large blob of folks from point to point and I find there is a lot of wasted time. Also, many islands have narrow windy roads that are more suited to a van than a tour bus.

You don't ever want to put up all the money yourself up front. Most tour companies will take the risk that you will show up. Sometimes things happen that are out of your control like a port being cancelled.

What islands are you considering doing this for? What kinds of tours are you considering? You should probably limit your "organizing" to just one or two islands that offer something really unique (Dominica would be one of those) and you may want to stick with land based tours as opposed to water tours. I prefer to do water tours through the ship in case there are any issues getting back on time. For land tours I like to get off early and be scheduled back early - then I can relax and enjoy myself without worrying about missing the ship.

Archived