what is appropriate dress for kids

susie3

We are cruising on RC Oasis during February school vacation week with our two sons, ages 9 and 12. We have not cruised siince our oldest was born. We are at a big table for the 8:30 seating. The dress is 4 casual, 1 smart casual, and two formal. Can the boys wear ironed, dressy shorts with a polo and new boatshoes on the casual nights even though it says "no shorts" or do I need to get khakis for those nights? They already have lovely resort wear, but all shorts!

Also, will real dress pants, shirt and tie due for them on formal nights, without a jacket?

Lastly, Does my husband really need a suit jacket on smart casual night or is a shirt and tie OK?

I want everyone to be dressed nicely, (I already have great stuff), but I don't want to buy things for them that they don't really need for the cruise. Thanks.

I will be dressing my dd in party dresses, Sunday best style clothing while we are on our cruise. Impo shorts for a boy are fine in the dining room if he is in a eaton style suit. I think if I had a boy he would be in dress pants, dress shirt, vest, and tie for formal nights. Chinos with a oxford style dress shirt, or polo shirt depending on the night.

What week are you on Oasis as we are there feb 5th. We haven't sailed Oasis but all the other times I haven't seen shorts. My DS (age 10) wears khakis in the MDR on normal nights and dress pants ( plain black ones that don't show spills:p on formal night ). DH doesn't wear a jacket on formal night... Too hot and too bulky to pack so he just has dress shirt and tie. He didn't look or feel underdressed. My DD (age 8) loves dressing up so she sways has a party dress on, even on casual night:)

If your kids were toddlers, then shorts are ok. But your boys really are too old for the shorts in a lovely dining room, even on casual nights.

ITA - way too old to be wearing shorts - a couple pair of inexpensive khakis each should be fine as they can take them off right after dinner. Cruiselines have pretty much nearly abandoned smart casual and I don't think you'll see many jackets that night either.

My question is why you chose late seating with kids? The only time we do main seating is when we have DGS along. Don't love it, but with late seating, they miss all of the evening activities in the kids' club which starts at 7.

Archived