Pools on Oceana

Jo and Rob

We will be doing the France and Spain 7 day cruise in April and I am wondering about the pools.

1. What is a splashpool?
  2. Are they freshwater?
  3. Are they heated?
  4. Will they still be too cold for the children to swim in in April?
  5. What are the opening hours?
  6. Are the towels help yourself or deposit only?
  7. Is there any indoor recreational water (pool / splashpool / jaccuzi) indoors?

many thanks

We will be doing the France and Spain 7 day cruise in April and I am wondering about the pools.

1. What is a splashpool?
  2. Are they freshwater?
  3. Are they heated?
  7. Is there any indoor recreational water (pool / splashpool / jaccuzi) indoors?

many thanks

I can't answer most of the questions as I haven't been on Oceana yet (and to be honest I am not that optimistic about it being warm enough for me to swim..). However, on P&O they leave pool towels in your cabin - it is not like RCI where you have to sign them in and out.

The splashpool is a shallow pool at the front of the ship - more like a paddling pool.

All the pools are freshwater.

They weren't heated on our cruises in the Caribbean - just heated by the sun. The covered terrace pool was too cold for most passengers but the central pools got quite warm.

I think they are open 24 hours unless being cleaned - didn't see any open/close hours. There were people in them from early morning (6am) until after 8pm on our cruise.

You get blue towels for use around the pool in your cabin. They get changed by your cabin steward as required.

There are no indoor pools/jacuzzis on Oceana. The two jacuzzis at the terrace are covered but not indoors - just a kind of rigid tent-type structure over them. But they, and the pool, are set down lower than the surrounding deck which makes them very sheltered.

The water on board is salt water but they de salinate it.. so I guess its fresh but at times it can taste a bit salty in the pools ... Pool towels are left in your cabin new ones daily... dont think the pools are heated but really I have never known one very cold. Kids dont notice it..anyway I have often seen children in the aft pool on Oriana and Aurora on days you wouldnt put a cat out !!!! but they splash bout lots dont they?

We have also seen the Youth Crew doing water polo at MIDNIGHT on Aurora !! so unless the net is over the pool its open to use. ( or unless its empty :D)

The splash pool was very warm mostly because its not deep and its in a sheltered area. The small aft pool on Oceana was warm as well again it was in a sheltered area.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What is a splashpool?
  2. Are they freshwater?
  3. Are they heated?

many thanks

I think Oceana is a twin to Sea Princess.

The splashpool on Sea Princess is in what is now the adults only area. On our Red Sea portion of our cruise, it was lovely to lie in and cool off but it is just a paddling pool.

The Med will be much too cold for most adults when you are going but children don't seem to feel the cold so much so yours might be okay. I don't think the pools are heated.

I know Sea Princess is freshwater but not sure about P&O.

Don't think there are any indoor pools on Oceana - there are certainly none on Sea Princess.

Don't know about towels on P&O but presume it is a similar system to Princess.

We are doing our first proper P&O cruise in March on Ventura from Barbados to Southampton (we have been on Ocean Village but don't think it is in the same league as the proper P&O cruises, although we had a great time on it) so it will be interesting to see how it compares to our favourite cruiseline, Princess.

Archived