Punto Tombo Penguin Rookery Tour

Lady Double D

We are on the Infinity at the end of January & are interested in the Punto Tombo Penguin Rookery Tour. There are 2 options - bus ($164) or van ($184). We aren't sure which to choose. I would appreciate hearing pros & cons of the 2 from someone who has been on this tour.

We are on the Infinity at the end of January & are interested in the Punto Tombo Penguin Rookery Tour. There are 2 options - bus ($164) or van ($184). We aren't sure which to choose. I would appreciate hearing pros & cons of the 2 from someone who has been on this tour.

I did the "by van" tour recently,, and then compared with friends who did the bus version. The difference was that we, in a van of I think 14 people, got more of an opportunity to interact with and ask questions of our guide. Otherwise, we went to the same place, parked in same spot, etc. I hate buses, so much prefered the van but for some the extra $20 might not be worth it.

Punta Toomba was amazing though!

I did the "by van" tour recently,, and then compared with friends who did the bus version. The difference was that we, in a van of I think 14 people, got more of an opportunity to interact with and ask questions of our guide. Otherwise, we went to the same place, parked in same spot, etc. I hate buses, so much prefered the van but for some the extra $20 might not be worth it.

Punta Toomba was amazing though!

Do both give the same amount of time at Punta Tombo?

We went by van two years ago. Interaction with the guide was good. It is, however, a long ride -- doing it on a bus might be more comfortable than sitting in a middle seat in a van, just depends on how you feel about these things.

We did it by private car last January. it was fabulous.

Our tour guide was Monica. She is a teacher who moonlights as a registered guide. You can search for her in the CC Shore Excursions thread unerPorts under South America. She got us going first thing and we beat the crowds to the rookery and the Galain?? She drives a Toyota 4x4 which handles the gravel roads well. It's comfy and safe. She includes a box lunch

Prices were comparable. By the way, on our visit day a Celebrity bus got stuck.

We went to Punta Tombo last February and it was an amazing tour. One of the ladies on our roll call organized a tour with Forastero tours for a group of 10 of us. We had an wonderful day, and on the way back to the ship, we requested to stop off in Puerto Madryn for about an hour to shop.

This is a tour well worth taking.

Mary

We did this tour a few years ago by private guide with a nice new van. We picked him up right at the pier, and agreed upon a price and what we wanted to see. There were 6 of us and we were quite comfortable in the van.

He also took us to a nice local restaurant for lunch. ( probably a relative??)

Hearing stories about broken down busses and vans, made us really look at the vehicles carefully before booking any tours at the pier.

We went to Punta Tombo last February and it was an amazing tour. One of the ladies on our roll call organized a tour with Forastero tours for a group of 10 of us. We had an wonderful day, and on the way back to the ship, we requested to stop off in Puerto Madryn for about an hour to shop.

This is a tour well worth taking.

Mary

Thanks, Mary. It was a good tour.

Archived