Best Month to travel out of San Francisco

ggribble

This will be our first trip from the west coast. We always cruise out of Lauderdale in January or February. What is the weather like in San Francisco and going south to the Mexican Riveria? Should we consider re-booking for a different time?:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

We just came back from a cruise to the Mexican Riviera from SF. The weather in SF is very cool this time of year, so the first two days and the last day of the cruise were too cool for me to lay out. (High 50's, low to mid 60's) Also take into account the breeze as you are sailing makes it even cooler. The weather in the Mexican Riviera was great, but overall, if leaving from SF, I would not choose to go at this time of year.

September and October are the best months to be on the water in CA - no fog, beautiful warm days, no rain. I just don't know if there are any cruises that time of year. January and February are pretty miserable all along the CA coast and it's even a bit cool in Cabo and PV especially if you want to snorkle. We just had the Maveric's Surf competition in February because the waves were so high. Maveric's is about 25 miles from SF. March would be the best for the Mexican Riviera but still not usually great in CA (even though it's in the 70's today - unusual). The highlight of those cruises are San Diego and Mexico so go with the best weather there and be prepared for the CA coastal conditions.

The thing is "you never know" with San Francisco weather. This past week has been BEAUTIFUL. I moved out her from Massachusetts twenty-five years ago, there is no "4 seasons" here. I never have to wear any overcoat, I wear the same suit in January as well as in August. Temperature rarely dip down below 40s, nor reach beyond 70s. Heat spell rarely last more than 3 days before our natural air-conditioning kicks in (sea breeze and fog). We have been so spoiled with the weather here.

We seem to have the best weather from mid-August to October, in what we call the "Indian summer months", where everyday is warm (70s) and sunny with no fog and light wind. April and May is okay also, but June and particularly July is awful, windy and foggy.

Rember the saying, the coldest winter was the summer I spent in San Francisco.

That would be true. I travel alot and SF can be a foggy chily place.

Just take a good wind breaker and something for the cool or chill nights at sea, wish somebody would have told us, and we sailed out of San Diego, and you will be fine.

Then just enjoy the sunshine on the top deck of the ship. It's not a bad way to spend a week.

Still looking for sombody to fill me in on the Mercury. Am wanting to go in May.

Buck and Sharon Gilbert

Archived