Voyager of the Seas for a first cruise, good idea?

JK41

:confused: My family is taking our first cruise in December. The RCI Western Caribbean 7 nighter on the Voyager of the Seas caught my eye. Is this a good ship to get our feet wet(as it were)? It departs from New Orleans. I would really appreciate some thoughts on this. Good, Bad, or other

The Voyager is a very nice ship. It was one of the first of the mega ships. They had it running out of Galveston for a bit and the reviews were always quite good. I think you and your family will have a great time. RCCL does a great job and are one of our favorites. The western Caribbean is also one of our favorite trips. Seas are normally pretty good and the stops are great. Its best to plan your excursions before leaving. That also gives you time to think about what you really want to do. You can always change it once you get on board.

Have a great time!! :)

Smart-Travelers

http://www.*****

I am totally on-board (pun intended) with cb at sea and whvic about The Voyager. She is a classy ship with an equally classy set of crew and staff. You will not regret choosing her for your family's first cruise. In fact my sister and I love sailing on her so much that we chose her for our first B2B in late February. And we do plan on following her to New Orleans when she relocates there for her Fall sailings of the Western Caribbean.

BTW Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Great choice. The Voyager is a terrific ship. My family sailed her out of Miami in either 2000 or 2001 on a 7 night Western itinerary and had an incredible time. She ship offered lots for us and our daughters who were about 5 and 8. We still reflect on that trip frequently.

Yes, she's great! I've been on her once before.

I am actually on a sailing December 17th out of NO on her. Are you on this sailing or a different date?

You are going out before us. We are planning to take the December 31 cruise. Have you sailed out of NOLA before? I think we will go a couple of days earlier and see a bit of the city.

You are going out before us. We are planning to take the December 31 cruise. Have you sailed out of NOLA before? I think we will go a couple of days earlier and see a bit of the city.

I answered you on your other thread, asking the same question you posted to general questions. Iv done Voyager twice and gone out of NOLA 4 times now I think... some love it, but to me you have to be a drinker for the night life to be fun. Its also chilly in the winter when you will be going.

Most cruise folks either stay at the Drury or the Holiday Inn Superdome who both have the best cruise and park specials. Are you driving?

I answered you on your other thread, asking the same question you posted to general questions. Iv done Voyager twice and gone out of NOLA 4 times now I think... some love it, but to me you have to be a drinker for the night life to be fun. Its also chilly in the winter when you will be going.

Most cruise folks either stay at the Drury or the Holiday Inn Superdome who both have the best cruise and park specials. Are you driving?

We will be flying in. It is a long way down from Winnipeg. Thanks for your help(on both threads) and thanks for the hotel names.

We will be flying in. It is a long way down from Winnipeg. Thanks for your help(on both threads) and thanks for the hotel names.

If you dont need parking, you can use hotwire, and get a 4 or 5 star for the same price as those hotels... or lastminutetravel.

We liked holiday inn because of the free shuttle, but you can get a much better price at hotels that are fancier.

Drury now .. it is beautiful, large rooms, with high 20 ft or so ceilings by the windows which are like 20 ft tall. You walk into the room with black marble. They have a FREE happy hour at night with 3 drink coupons and finger food, they had baked potatoes and hot wings the night I arrived FREE, and coke is free 24/7. you can easily beat the price, but its a cruise favorite because of the beautiful rooms and the free happy hour .. oh breakfast is excellent too .. but no shuttle.

check the online rate for drury .. but hotwire will get you a hotel with a fancier name.

Archived