Tahitian Princess - any reports?

philipb

Philipb,

My partner and I did this trip 8/2004 and had a great time. What made the trip so fabulous, besides the great ship and location, were the group we met thru these boards. Our roll call started 6 months pre-cruise and we had the majority of our excursions booked 4-6 months before we cruised. We had about 20 on the roll call and spent the majority of the time with 12 of them as we booked the same excursions. I have cruised many times before without participating on the boards and didn't know what I was missing.

You will find most cruisers on this itinerary are seasoned travelers and have done a fair amount of research in preparation as Tahiti is far away and very expensive. Cost wise, this cruise was the most economical way to do Tahiti.

I highly recommend joining a roll call for your sailing.

If you have specific questions, I'll do my best to answer...

Paula

Philipb,

My partner and I did this trip 8/2004 and had a great time. What made the trip so fabulous, besides the great ship and location, were the group we met thru these boards. Our roll call started 6 months pre-cruise and we had the majority of our excursions booked 4-6 months before we cruised. We had about 20 on the roll call and spent the majority of the time with 12 of them as we booked the same excursions. I have cruised many times before without participating on the boards and didn't know what I was missing.

You will find most cruisers on this itinerary are seasoned travelers and have done a fair amount of research in preparation as Tahiti is far away and very expensive. Cost wise, this cruise was the most economical way to do Tahiti.

I highly recommend joining a roll call for your sailing.

If you have specific questions, I'll do my best to answer...

Paula

Thanks for this feedback, Paula. It sounds like our sort of cruise. We're going ahead - provided we can get reasonable air arrangements.

Sailied in January and had great time. I booked through Travel with Pride in CA and there were 4 in our party & 2 other guys from Chicago. The company found me a share and we got along without any problems. Gettting back to the ship. It is a great ship. Food was very good and recommend Sabatini's Italian Rest. as great restaurant (surcharge $20). Took several shore excursions and they were really good but high priced. Towards end of cruise took trips with local vendors and price was much better. Ship is somewhat small and gym is not great but otherwise everything was super. Staff were very attentive and friendly and a few are "family". If you decide to go and need additional information contact me at Sweetdcl04@hotmail.com.

• 6 months later...

Partner and I are booked on the Tahitian Princess for Feb 18, 2006. We are looking for a FOD's view on this cruise. Considering that we're going right after Valentines Day (my b-day) which is a huge wedding day, I might think it will be full of honeymooners? Will it be the typical newly-wed, overly-fed, nearly-dead scene on board? Just wondering.

My partner and I cruised the Tahitian Princess in November of 2003 and had a great time! As a smaller "boutique" ship, the Tahitian Princess was throughly comfortable and enjoyable. The food was palatable, but nothing that amazed. Hopefully you have booked a balcony as the arrivals to the destinations in the AM and are awesome and the sunsets will take your breath away.

Finding other gay and lesbian travelers on-board may be a challenge. While there were a lot of honeymoon couples who kept to themselves, there were also a lot of really cool West Coast and international couples that we enjoyed and spent time with. While we are not in-your-face with our relationship, it was clear that we were a couple. There was also a significant number of older "professional" cruisers as well.

It won't be dead, but this is not a late-night/party ship by any means. The ship-board shows were entertaining, sometimes locals would perform as well. We did the Northern route which went toward the Marquesas Isl and Tuamotu Atoll. Each destination was interesting and offers a great perspective on Polynesian culture.

Some notes:

Money: ATMs in Tahiti are on a French proprietary banking system. We bank at HSBC and Citibank could not get cash from an ATM or bank anywhere. We ended up getting cash from the ATM on the ship (which was not cheap). Also, some of the smaller establishments do not accept credit cards.

BRING MOSQUITO REPELLENT!!! Especailly if you are doing excursions to temples, religious sites, and inner island exploration. We were very happy we did.

Air Travel - If you can . . . book your air on Air Tahiti Nui. Some of the BEST service in the skys. If you are changing planes in LAX allow A LOT of time (like 3 hours) between planes. You have to physically change terminals for the connection, which requires you repeat the Security Check all over again.

Hotel Packages: We stayed at the Sheraton which was very nice, HOWEVER this hotel is near to the runway approach and there was an Air France 747 that arrived bright and early every AM. Get the breakfast included FOOD IS VERY expensive.

DO eat at the Shipside canteens in Papaeete that set up in the evening. The food was fresh, delicious, abundant, and a lot less expensive than the local sit-down restaurants.

If you are SCUBA divers . . . make sure you book a package. This is one of the best diving sites.

Unlike Caribbean cruises, shore transportation and private tours are a bit more difficult to arrange in the more remote locations. Your best bet is to plan ahead and participate in a few of the excursions.

I hope this was helpful. Happy Cruising.

Thanks for the insight for the Tahitian Princess. We've booked an aft-balcony which we always try to get, because you can see BOTH sides from the rear, and the balconies themselves can hold lots of people.....after we make those friendships! Nothing like a "Party balcony" to help with that process I guess.

I've read a lot of reviews on her (TP) and we're looking forward to the more intimate sized ship. From what I'm reading, set a budget for spending money.....and then double it. Thanks again-

Archived